PDA

View Full Version : Another article - childcare plan will lead to tears before bedtime

FussyElmo
03-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Liz Truss childcare plan will lead to tears long before bedtime | Business | The Observer (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/feb/03/childcare-too-important-for-free-market)

Yet another article slamming the reports ideas :thumbsup:

sarah707
03-02-2013, 09:25 AM
She covers it all well doesn't she? I think she has actually talked to a childminder first! :clapping:

Not sure I'd allow running in the house though... and Ofsted would want to see a fireguard! :laughing:

FussyElmo
03-02-2013, 09:31 AM
She covers it all well doesn't she? I think she has actually talked to a childminder first! :clapping:

Not sure I'd allow running in the house though... and Ofsted would want to see a fireguard! :laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

mum26
03-02-2013, 09:40 AM
That is very good - wonder if the Government will actually listen!

Mouse
03-02-2013, 09:41 AM
I think that covers it very well without the dramatics of many other articles. Clear and to the point - increased numbers will not lead to reduced fees.

I agree with you Sarah about the picture - the children would be outside running round and I'd either be joining in, or standing taking photos, certainly not holding my head in my hands in defeat :laughing:

I did have one mum ask when I would be reducing my fees. I pointed out that with 3 yr old funding and 70% tax credits she actually pays me (out of her own pocket) £5 a day for her son's care. That includes food, outings, craft resources etc. I told her she was getting a bargain and perhaps I should put the fee up! She also gets another 6 hours funded elsewhere, so for £10 a week she gets 24 hours childcare. Childcare certainly isn't expensive for all parents.

FussyElmo
03-02-2013, 09:49 AM
I agree with you Sarah about the picture - the children would be outside running round and I'd either be joining in, or standing taking photos, certainly not holding my head in my hands in defeat :laughing:

Not without wine and chocolate in each hand :laughing::laughing:

The article was very concise and to the point. No misleading ratios etc.

I would like to see an article asking where all the jobs are coming from for the increase in childcare :D

mum26
03-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Good point Fussy Elmo re: jobs. I have 2 parents who have lost their jobs and frantically searching for alternatives (which I sincerely hope will be soon or else I can see I will be losing 2 more children!).

I also had a dad jokingly ask me for a 2 for 1 deal on childcare (his wife has just had a baby). I had to remind him I am not a supermarket!!! :laughing:

lisbet
03-02-2013, 10:08 AM
:clapping: