PDA

View Full Version : Advice on car selection please

shortstuff
03-02-2013, 08:13 AM
As the title duggests i need some advice and to know good points and niggles about 7 seaters that are on the market please.

Im looking at getting an older car for now but am unsure about makes and models for seat size and the like.

At the moment my car allows for 3passengers and oh's allows for 4 so mine will be moving to a new home.

Any advice will be gratefully received, thanks

Wheelybug
03-02-2013, 08:27 AM
I have a Vauhall Zafira, just upgraded our 03 plate to a 10 plate.

Good Points:
It's one of the smaller 7 seaters and cheap to run.
You can fit some umbrella style double buggies in the boot (just!)
It's easy to park!
There is a decent amount of space in the back two seats

Drawbacks
Fitted child seats have to go right at the back or in the centre middle row seat as you have to slide the middle row forward to access the rear seats.
Normal doors not sliding ones, so can be difficult to get children in and out in car parks if people park too close.

Cathy x.

vikiwizz
03-02-2013, 08:28 AM
I will be in the same situation in a few months.

My friend who is also a CM has a VW touran and raves about it, as it has 3 full seats in the back so she can fit 3 car seats in plus another 2 behind.

QualityCare
03-02-2013, 08:37 AM
I have had a ford galaxy brought used and kept for several years,followed by a citroen C8 again brought used and kept for several years and now a Kia sedona brought new all have been good cars,no major problems and each has good and bad points about it, have not had the smaller 7 seater, reault senic type, the best thing would be to look at several different types within your price range test drive them and eliminate the one you don't feel comfortable in. Boot size can be a major problem with some makes, l prefer sliding doors.

shortstuff
03-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the responses, you guys are great n very quick

stargazer1
03-02-2013, 10:02 AM
I have a Vauhall Zafira, just upgraded our 03 plate to a 10 plate.

Good Points:
It's one of the smaller 7 seaters and cheap to run.
You can fit some umbrella style double buggies in the boot (just!)
It's easy to park!
There is a decent amount of space in the back two seats

Drawbacks
Fitted child seats have to go right at the back or in the centre middle row seat as you have to slide the middle row forward to access the rear seats.
Normal doors not sliding ones, so can be difficult to get children in and out in car parks if people park too close.

Cathy x.

We have an 08 plate Zafira and I have to admit I love mine. As pointed out above, it's one of the smaller people carriers. I have two children of my own so on weekends it's just a family car with a mahoosive boot. Monday morning all the seats go up ready for the week and come down Thursday night. Tbh I have never needed to use all 7 seats in one go for minding so can normally find somewhere for a buggy. When we upgrade the car next year I would not get another 7 seater as I don't feel I need them enough to justify it for minding purposes. But for now we have a lovely, reliable, spacious car.

Tazmin68
03-02-2013, 02:28 PM
I love my 07 plate zafira. If ever I need 4 large seats. I use the two in the back. The middle seat and the front passenger seat if needed but mainly I use 1 in the very back and one behind drivers seat which is easily adjusted the seat uses a normal seatbelt even from 9 months a mamas and papas alto but it has been discontinued.. As a car in three years not had to pay a penny for work on it. It is easy to park, I can fit buggies in the boot with all 7 seats in use, very good with fuel and as I only have two children a brill family car with lots of boot space when we go away on holiday. Mine is a 1.6 and bearing in mind I only have two children myself that is sufficient. A minder. Know who has 4 children herself she feels that because she has a large family and need to use it as 6-7 seats more than me and when on holiday she feels she would have been better off with a 1.8 engine.

blue bear
03-02-2013, 07:20 PM
I on my second vw sharan, it has two inbuilt baby seat which convert to a booster and then normal seat. It's fab to drive and has done amazingly well. Phil and fed fits in the boot but I take the wheels off to make it easier. Every seat is individual and has isofix points. All the seats come out which is brilliant for taking things to the tip sor collecting a new washing machine or other furniture.
It's not got an amazing turning circle and I prefer to reverse into a parking space but asits nice and high it's easier to do than In A small car.
The only thing I'd change would be to sliding doors.

green4lynn
03-02-2013, 10:06 PM
I've got a Mazda MPV (newer models are Mazda 5). I love it, it has loads of boot space when all the seats are in use. Its a diesel so is very economical, has nice high driving position and its easy getting kids in and out, and they enjoy being high up! All seats are removable, and it has sliding doors! It does use a lot of oil though, the garage assures me there isn't a problem so I'm happy, just keep topping it up! Oh, and its called Marty!

Lynn x

TAZ
03-02-2013, 10:29 PM
I have a galaxy which has been great, the sensors & wiring looms tend to be the main problems that need fixing but easily dealt with.
All the seats are full size & independant. very comfortable.
Unfortunatly it doesn't clean itself either inside or out - but I guess you can't have everything!:blush:

shortstuff
04-02-2013, 07:17 AM
Haha Taz, love it lol. Thats what oh's are for isnt it? Lol

shortstuff
04-02-2013, 07:18 AM
Ha green4lynn. Yours has a name? Maybe the lo's can name mine when i get it.

So much great knowledge thanks. Car shopping next weekend i think.

catlyn
04-02-2013, 07:29 AM
I've just bought a VW Sharan followiong some advice off here...picking it up today but first impressions are great...I love the built in safety harnesses and the space around all of the seats.....cant wait to start driving it...will let you know how I get on

shortstuff
04-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks catlyn that would be great. Have fun :-) i love collecting new cars, its sooo exciting

Goldilocks
04-02-2013, 10:18 AM
I was having the same problem with deciding on what car to get. Just setting up as a childminder now and have a Renault Scenic and love this car but looking for a bigger one. I have been looking at the Ford S Max which has some good reviews on line. It has 2 extra seats in the boot but still enough boot space for a double buggy just! Any one have an S Max and can shear their view?

My other choice was a Volvo XC90 as use to drive one for work as a nanny. Lovely to drive, 7 seater and great boot space. The only draw back is it uses loads of petrol and getting the children right in the back can be a little tricky but is still ok.

Christina :)

green4lynn
04-02-2013, 10:09 PM
All my cars have had names, Terry Terrano, Pierre Peugeot, Alice Almera, Prince (he was a Ford Maverick but was purple so we called him Prince!) and now Marty Mazda! It confuses the parents when the kids refer to the car by name, I'm sure they think I've got a secret boyfriend!
X

shortstuff
18-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Well ive done it, thanks for all the input. I found soneone who did a straight swap. A zafira for my peugeot cabriolet. So i now have my 7 seater. Time will tell whether i get on with it or want to swap. Thanks for all the advice :-)

sineadquinn
18-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Great advise from everyone :-) I've just bought a Zafira and picking it up today :-) I also looked at the Volvo xc90 but the running costs for it were just too high :-( but did love the car. When I've got my money a bit more settled and a regular income I will be upgrading to a Nissan qashqui +2 :-)

shortstuff
18-02-2013, 09:12 AM
I looked at the nissan but the middle seat is very tight so i passed over that one. Congrats on your purchase.

ceegee
18-02-2013, 10:04 AM
I just about to buy a citroen multispace

If you get the VTR version you can fit x3 car seats in the back, or even get the 7 seated version. Has sliding door and a large boot space