PDA

View Full Version : long term plan - Help!!

squeely wheely
02-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Help!!

I've been trying to put together a long term plan to show parents what i intend to teach the children, but I'm getting in a right pickle! Initially I was thinking I would have a "theme" per month, say animals and then every day do a different activity covering each of the 7 areas of learning to do with animals. But then I thought, That's a lot of animal activities, how will I think up all these activities....?? I'm new at this you see, it's not flowing quite so easily, YET! tee hee.

I was wondering if this is the way you plan things? Also if you know of any great places for play inspiration, I've been on ****** and been to my local library and have a lot of books, although they are not updated with the 2012 changes. huuumm

Ohh one more thing when I'm giving parents my daily diary of what we have done today and I explain we made lions today from paper plates and shaving foam, or whatever. Am I supposed to write out which area of learning we have covered? eg arts and design or is this supposed to be on the play plan and next steps that i write.... ohhh blummin heck :-? me in pickle!:confused:

Any help would be lovely! THANKS!

Marshmallow
02-02-2013, 08:25 PM
:panic: Didn't realise we had to ' teach ' the ickle mindees :huh:

squeely wheely
02-02-2013, 08:36 PM
That could be why this isn't making sense! lol!

kelz_wilko
02-02-2013, 08:37 PM
i do exactly that lol i have a theme each month and then an activity each day to cover the 7 areas of learning (im in wales so mine includes the welsh language) but some activities can be as simple as stories and and chatting about topics and maths can be weighing ingridients when cooking/ baking.

I too give parents a daily journal explaining what each child has done for the day, the activities they were involved in n how much food they have eaten i generally don't explain about the 7 areas of learning in the journal as parents know i cover this anyway, if a parent was to ask me to explain i don't mind putting a small comment, however they will go to school and learn these areas in a lot more detail. I feel the kids in my care will still learn but in a lot more relaxed way like the cooking, arts and craft and gardening that they may not do as much of in school.

i hope this has helped, each person will be different in their planning but there are loads of websites you can access that will give you ideas and activities to cover the 7 areas of learning.

i use these websites hope they help:

Free Coloring Pages (http://www.coloring.ws/coloring.html)
1000s FREE Primary Teaching Resources & Printables - EYFS, KS1 and KS2 - SparkleBox (http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/)
The Imagination Tree (http://www.theimaginationtree.com/)
For printables sorted by Activit (http://www.makinglearningfun.com/activ.html)

don't forget to cover annual events such as Australia day, mickey mouse birthday, harvest time, fathers day, mothers day, christmas, chinese new year etc these each month can take up a day or to making things that children can take home to parents and it covers knowledge and understanding of various cultures.

gud luck and have fun xxxx

squeely wheely
02-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks kelz_wilko that's Awesome! and how could I have forgotten about Mikey Mouse's Birthday!!

QualityCare
02-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Sorry but don't teach the children with plans, children learn through play, if they show an interest through their play in something then l will follow this activity through for a couple of days, ie, if we have the farm animals out depending on ages and stages etc we will do animal sounds,and sing old McDonald,or where do l live or who's my baby followed by some colouring,painting of animals etc. You don't need extensive elaborate plans follow the children's interests, explain to the parents that you will follow their interests and ask the parents to contribute by telling you of any event activity etc that has happened at home that you can follow through.