PDA

View Full Version : Early years degree, what are my options?

LauraS
02-02-2013, 06:31 PM
I have just been turned down by my local college to enrol on the early years foundation degree course because I don't meet the entry requirements. They require a 'relevant' level 3 qualification for entry. I have four A levels (3As and a B) but they aren't any good, they want me to have the CYPW level 3 or equivalent before they can accept me.

Since the degree is always going to be my ultimate aim, I really don't want to spend a year and a substantial amount.of.money getting the CYPW thing just to tick their box. Especially since I have read.a.lot here about the diploma and its usefulness.

Does anyone know of any other routes onto the foundation degree where my A levels might be accepted? I know there's the OU, is there anywhere else that you can recommend?

loocyloo
02-02-2013, 07:57 PM
I have just been turned down by my local college to enrol on the early years foundation degree course because I don't meet the entry requirements. They require a 'relevant' level 3 qualification for entry. I have four A levels (3As and a B) but they aren't any good, they want me to have the CYPW level 3 or equivalent before they can accept me.

Since the degree is always going to be my ultimate aim, I really don't want to spend a year and a substantial amount.of.money getting the CYPW thing just to tick their box. Especially since I have read.a.lot here about the diploma and its usefulness.

Does anyone know of any other routes onto the foundation degree where my A levels might be accepted? I know there's the OU, is there anywhere else that you can recommend?

it depends on your local colleges. all i can suggest is giving a few a call/email and asking.

otherwise the only option i found is OU.

good luck ... i don't have the brain power to even start to look into it, let alone start it! ( i was all sorted & ready to start and then we moved and i can't get momentum again ... :rolleyes: )

carol cameron
02-02-2013, 08:00 PM
I was very surprised to see your post and a bit sad for you. i did a foundation degree several years ago and they decided that my qualifications as a nursery nurse and later as a social worker, were too old to count ( as were my o' levels!) so officially I had no qualifications according to their rules.

As you have A levels you have clearly proved you are capable of study so it seems very unfair of them.
Are there any other colleges in your area that offer a foundation degree ? They may have different entry requirements.
I have heard a lot of good things about the OU degree route too.
Good luck :)

Loushah
02-02-2013, 08:32 PM
I have heard a lot of good things about the OU degree route too.
Good luck :)

I have been looking at doing mine through the OU but not sure if I will qualify for the funding as I have already done a degree, going to apply and keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck to you too

LauraS
02-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Unfortunately, the logistics of attending another college two nights a week just isn't feasible, as the nearest is an hour away and the impact on my children is just too great. They have lessons and activities in the evenings and would have to stop some, which would be unfair.

I'm sad too, to be honest. It seems daft that I could go and study medicine, or nursing, or midwifery or whatever using them but not this.

Apparently nvqs are better.

Will look into OU but did a short course with them.once and wasn't keen...

safcfluff
01-03-2013, 10:12 PM
it depends on your local colleges. all i can suggest is giving a few a call/email and asking.

otherwise the only option i found is OU.

good luck ... i don't have the brain power to even start to look into it, let alone start it! ( i was all sorted & ready to start and then we moved and i can't get momentum again ... :rolleyes: )

I'm in my third year of my foundation degree with OU. It is a big commitment and I find myself studying most evenings. Very interesting actually. Some of my colleagues have been told they need ' their English and maths GCEs before they move up to next level of studying for BA. Hard lines on them as they've already proved they can do the work.