PDA

View Full Version : Business sense but dont know how to handle this....

Belly2009
02-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Hi,

I have received an email from a prospective parent saying after our meeting she would love for me to look after her child (yippee).

I have a daughter who is 3 so leaves me with two under 5 spaces. One of which is taken up mon to weds full days and the other by 3 hours a day 4 days a week.

I always said id never terminate contracts as I favoured more money over children but in this case the prospective child would be mon - weds and the same age as the other mon - weds child meaning it suits perfectly.

I need to let the 3 hours one go. Any advice on how to word it to mum?

Thanks

Mouse
02-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Did you ever say to the 3 hours a day mum that you would give notice if someone wanting more suitable hours came along? If you didn't then, personally, I wouldn't give notice as I don't think it's fair.

If you warned mum from the beginning that you might not be able to continue with the hours if someone else came along, then just refer her to that.

VeggieSausage
02-02-2013, 09:10 AM
tricky, I would be honest and say that finances as they are you really cannot afford to let full days child go. Could you still do any days for them?

loocyloo
02-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Can you ask mum if she can re jig her days? Do a couple of longer days?

Good luck, it's a tricky one.

Belly2009
02-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Yes, ive said before if a full time child came along then id have to consider his hours.

They cant change their hours as both parents do shift work.

:( I could still do 2 other days but for 6 hours a week its just not worth it.

sarah707
02-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Could you look for a solution for the child first? There might be someone locally who would love a 3 hour contract to fill a gap...

I've never done it because I like my part timers but in the current economic climate I can fully understand how it wouldn't make sense to continue.

Hugs x

Belly2009
02-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Yes have spoken to another childminder this morning who has space and is happy with the hours and fits in perfwxt with rhw routine. In fact she pixks up at the school where the child I look after has older brothers go to.

I like to solve problems before they start. Just dont know how to word it to mum :( lovely family and child but feel im not offering them the best as a parent id be constantly worried that a full ter came along

Mouse
02-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Yes, ive said before if a full time child came along then id have to consider his hours.

They cant change their hours as both parents do shift work.

:( I could still do 2 other days but for 6 hours a week its just not worth it.

You've been upfront with mum, so don't feel bad about it.

Do you know any other CMs who could take the child on? It would help the parents if you could say you can no longer do it, but you know someone who can.

Belly2009
02-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Ive done it and its not something ill ever like to do again. Despite giving them details of another childminder who has spaces they werent very happy and im now dreading monday :(

Mouse
02-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Ive done it and its not something ill ever like to do again. Despite giving them details of another childminder who has spaces they werent very happy and im now dreading monday :(

Give them time.

If it's come out of the blue they're probably in shock. Give them the weekend to think it over & hopefully they'll have calmed down a bit.

Are you in a position financially to let them go straight away if they want to, without any notice period? Sometimes that helps soften the blow & puts an end to the awkwardness.

Now get the other family signed up as fast as you possibly can! You don't want to have handed notice to this family & then find the others don't come to you after all!

Belly2009
02-02-2013, 05:39 PM
As its a month in advance rhwy have already paid for feb. Either way I dont mind either them having money back theough voucher scheme or working the notice period.

I was thinking about letting them down before someone came along but could never do it. When someone came along and asked for the space (dont advertise the space) I thought its time to do it. Whether the new family take up the space or not it leaves the space open if someone wanted to start immediately.

Thanks for the advice. Went and had my haircut and not feeling so guilty now x

Porridge
02-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Can u offer to transfer the advance payment to new cm if she can start immediately?

bunyip
02-02-2013, 06:18 PM

Don't beat yourself up over it, please. :group hug:

It's not easy; I have a friend who had to give notice to accommodate part time work in a school to support her degree, and I saw how it affected her.

If it's any consolation, we all need to remember that many parents will drop us quicker than a hot irradiated turd if they ever felt the need. :(

hectors house
02-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Make sure you get a deposit out of new parent asap, rather than just go on an e-mail request - would hate for them to change their minds and you to have given notice and got upset unnecessarily.

Belly2009
03-02-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all your responses. This is the first sunday I actually have sunday night dread :( as some lively childminders have reminded me parents are quick to drop us at minimum notice and wouldnt think twice about it. I need to toughen up x

shortstuff
04-02-2013, 07:09 AM
Fingers crossed this morning goes well for you, let us know

Belly2009
04-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Mum wont budge and says she will finish early two days (even offered to contribute to a triple buggy) so im not over my numbers after school. She does not want anyone else to have her child.

So is there anyway round this? She asked about continuity of care if she shorterned her days but I dont think that will allow me 4 under 5s. (My little girl is 4 in aug and will be attending school in sept.

Im exhausted and just need this sorting asap xx

FussyElmo
05-02-2013, 05:20 AM
Mum wont budge and says she will finish early two days (even offered to contribute to a triple buggy) so im not over my numbers after school. She does not want anyone else to have her child.

So is there anyway round this? She asked about continuity of care if she shorterned her days but I dont think that will allow me 4 under 5s. (My little girl is 4 in aug and will be attending school in sept.

Unfortunetly there is no continuity of care here as its not for her child and its needed for but for the possible new mindee.

Think you just need to be strong and say that you did warn her when she started that this was a possibilty. Have you wrote out her notice perhaps if she saw it in black and white. Other tact to use is its not the issue of her shortening her hours its the fact she takes up a fulltime pace with part time hours. Is she wanted to pay for the full time hours then they would be no need for the conversation.

izzy23
05-02-2013, 02:56 PM

Whilst this is really awkward for you, you have to remember that it is your business at the end of the day, and you can choose how to run it, being polite and helpful (like you've said you've investigated place with fellow minder) is great, a nice way to operate rather than just a blunt letter that you are giving notice on the space, but remember you are entitled to give notice on the space at the end of the day for whatever reason and a financial one is no less important than others. Be strong :)