PDA

View Full Version : Losing the will to live

kel1983
01-02-2013, 10:49 AM
We have a 2.5 year old who has the attention span of a goldfish. :angry: Never listens, has fidget hands, no fear and no sense of danger. Parents know she is a handful.
We have found that puzzles and sticking are pretty much the only thing thats keeps her attention. She is constantly wondering. We change the toys regularly and she always has help choosing what we get out.

She is with us 5 days a week 7.30 - 4.30 (seems very long day) She gets plenty of attention, probably much more than anyone else because of the way she is. She does seem better on days when she is the oldest with us. On days when we have more older children she likes to show off I suppose and she tries to get hem to behave like her.

Has anyone got any advice. Anyone else have a child who is like this. Need advice

Mouse
01-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Sounds like a typical 2 year old!

Have you googled "fidget toys"? They're often used for children with ADHD, but some of the ideas and theories might help your mindee.

kel1983
01-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Sounds like a typical 2 year old!

Have you googled "fidget toys"? They're often used for children with ADHD, but some of the ideas and theories might help your mindee.

Im pretty sure she is worse than a typical 2 year old. But thanks will take a look at that

shortstuff
01-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Have you tried good old reward charts? I use one with a little lady that comes here and her behaviour change is unbelievable. I draw smiley faces when challenges are completed like remembering manners, no snatching and the like?

kel1983
01-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Have you tried good old reward charts? I use one with a little lady that comes here and her behaviour change is unbelievable. I draw smiley faces when challenges are completed like remembering manners, no snatching and the like?

Yes we did reward charts with all our children at one point to try and encourage them all. Unfortunately it just didnt work with this little one. Thanks though

shortstuff
01-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Thats a big shame, sorry i didnt help more :-)

lynncjt
01-02-2013, 01:17 PM
How about water play? I have one who is 30 months and very short attention span but playing with water holds his attention and calms him down. We do it in the kitchen (has a vinyl floor) and he is dressed in waterproofs and wellies!

kel1983
01-02-2013, 03:31 PM
How about water play? I have one who is 30 months and very short attention span but playing with water holds his attention and calms him down. We do it in the kitchen (has a vinyl floor) and he is dressed in waterproofs and wellies!

Will try that. But may do it out on the patio with warm water. Kitchen isnt really flood proof. Thanks

dawn100
01-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Sounds a lot like my daughter was, she is better now shes 4, I use to find outdoor play always seemed to keep her occupied better even the same activities but done outside, my mother in law describes her as a whirlwind and says she has never come across a child like her and she has 6 kids & 14 grandkids. As she got older it became obvious she was brighter than average (shes catching up quickly to her 7 yr old brother)now she enjoys doing sums in her head like 13 + 18, she can count 1-50 objects with ease. But she still gets bored at pre-school as they don't stretch her but they say she doesn't stay focused but I know she loses interest easily if she finds stuff easy or boring by contrast she does gymnastics and they comment on how focused she is esp for her age! Could the little one need more challenging activities? Just a thought dont want that to sound wrong, If the little one is anything like my dd I feel for you as it's exhausting, my dd still has the nickname the terminator.

kel1983
02-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Sounds a lot like my daughter was, she is better now shes 4, I use to find outdoor play always seemed to keep her occupied better even the same activities but done outside, my mother in law describes her as a whirlwind and says she has never come across a child like her and she has 6 kids & 14 grandkids. As she got older it became obvious she was brighter than average (shes catching up quickly to her 7 yr old brother)now she enjoys doing sums in her head like 13 + 18, she can count 1-50 objects with ease. But she still gets bored at pre-school as they don't stretch her but they say she doesn't stay focused but I know she loses interest easily if she finds stuff easy or boring by contrast she does gymnastics and they comment on how focused she is esp for her age! Could the little one need more challenging activities? Just a thought dont want that to sound wrong, If the little one is anything like my dd I feel for you as it's exhausting, my dd still has the nickname the terminator.

the lo does enjoy being outside and we do find she is less of a handful (I hate saying that) when we go to the park etc. And actually I agree she is probably going to turn out to be very clever as she loves puzzles and anything technical. I adore this lo just find her a handful.