PDA

View Full Version : Snacks?

Tinkerbell1979
01-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Hi,

Can anyone help as I have a parent driving me mad.

I currently mind her 11 month old. Her schedule is:

Bottle on waking around 6.30/7am (at home)
Breakfast: 9.30am
Lunch: 12pm
Bottle: 4pm
Dinner: 6.30pm (at home)

I took on another child, coming up to 17 months, so mum of 11 month old said after her bottle if the other kids have a fruit snack she can have it, so that's what I've been doing, only little little like a few grapes, strawberries nothing g major, more tasters. Anyway last night she said she doesn't agree with snacks got really arsey and then said how bad parents were for providing snacks out and about and how they need to plan their days/trips/car journeys so they can stop for lunch etc, well I'm a bad parent then cos I take snacks !

Is there anything for childminders to print off about healthy snacks so I know what I'm talking about. Fair enough if she don't want her kid snacking that's up to her but don't make out I'm rubbish because I give the kids snacks, always healthy !

TIA

Bananabrain
01-02-2013, 01:04 PM
I would just tell her that it is part of my remit to offer healthy meals/snacks as appropriate. That I have children of all ages [not just babies] that are coming and going at all times with nursery sessions/ school and that they get hungry [especially in the winter]
I would then type out an average week' s menu itemising snacks given and tell her that is what I offer, if she doesn't want me to offer her child snacks, then I won't. I always tell parents that I do my utmost to respect their wishes [and I do] but explain that I do not like to treat any child differently and it is hard sometimes when one isn't allowed something.
I would also say that it is common practice these days in nurseries/ children's centres to offer am and pm snacks and what I am doing is the norm [I often use that as a get out:laughing:]
And if all that doesn't placate her, I would tell her perhaps she needs to get out more:laughing:

helena_j
01-02-2013, 01:10 PM
I agree and also point out that when little snacks are important if healthy and given in timing that children still eat a decent lunch dinner etc, they only have small tummies when they are little so won't eat a huge portion like an adult for instance think parents forget that part. Not to mention how much energy little ones use!! My youngest minded child has just started walking eats snacks (more so in the morning as sleeps most the afternoon) she also polishes off her meals in addition, sure she eats more than both the 3 year olds:-o

jo.jo76
01-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Hi,

I took on another child, coming up to 17 months, so mum of 11 month old said after her bottle if the other kids have a fruit snack she can have it, so that's what I've been doing, only little little like a few grapes, strawberries nothing g major, more tasters. Anyway last night she said she doesn't agree with snacks got really arsey and then said how bad parents were for providing snacks out and about and how they need to plan their days/trips/car journeys so they can stop for lunch etc, well I'm a bad parent then cos I take snacks !

Is there anything for childminders to print off about healthy snacks so I know what I'm talking about. Fair enough if she don't want her kid snacking that's up to her but don't make out I'm rubbish because I give the kids snacks, always healthy !

TIA

My local authority tell us to follow the Eat Better Start Better - Voluntary Food and Drink Guidelines for Early Years Settings in England. There may be something of use in there that you could print out for her, to assure her that children need healthy snacks. Can't add PDF as it is too big but think you should find it on google

Found website now Childrens Food Trust | Professionals (http://www.childrensfoodtrust.org.uk/professionals)

sarah707
01-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Latest govt advice is to offer snacks and meals about 3 hours apart to stop energy levels dropping through the day.

Snacks should of course be healthy - usually sit down with a little fruit or veg, some carb and a drink.

Parents might like to read this document :D

http://www.cwt.org.uk/pdfs/Under5s.pdf

dette
01-02-2013, 01:53 PM
my recent nutritional training told us that snacks should be quite substantial and inclue eithr fruit or veg with carbs and fat.eg a scone with butter and some grapes ,or a small cheese sandwich with tomato.we were given loads of brilliant books with meal ideas

here is the link to the pdfs of the books .they are brilliant .loads of ideas

www.firststepsnutrition.org/pdfs/FSNT_EatingWell1-4recipes.pdfh

dette
01-02-2013, 01:55 PM
whoops didnt work..
search for Home page for Chew - Children Eating Well (http://www.cwt-chew.org.uk)
theyre called eating well for 1-4 year olds
you can find the pdfs on line but i cant make them go on here ..techno phobe
its the caroline walker trust

Mrs Scrubbit
01-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Brilliant thanks just downloaded the books-lots of info and ideas x

lynncjt
01-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks for this - some brilliant resources!

Tinkerbell1979
01-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Thank you all, will be reading tonight once my kids in bed x

Polly2
01-02-2013, 07:03 PM
This is another good website https://www.infantandtoddlerforum.org/little-peoples-plates

TAZ
01-02-2013, 09:32 PM
infant schools provide mid-morning fruit snack funded by government! so they approve.

Does she realise that by separating out morning bottle & breakfast & providing bottle at 4pm she is effectivly giving am & pm snack!

tori4
01-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Hi,

TIA

Hi I have just been doing the HENRY healthy child online training- VERY interesting all abt obesity n lifestyle etc. def recommend it

They recommend 3:2 -
3 meals, breakfast,lunch n dinner and x2 snacks

I can't say I am rigged with snacks (LOs eat lunch early) but if n when they are served at the table- and seated not on the go. and mixture of bready products n fruit even the odd chocolate biscuit :-0 shoot me now

XT

jadavi
02-02-2013, 03:02 AM
I have dropped morning snack (unless at Playgroup) in favour of early lunch and better appetites.... Only two out of my 8 will eat fruit or veg :(
Mind you I often offer a second breakfast to the older ones

Houlgated
02-02-2013, 07:57 AM
My mindee has just swapped morning and afternoon bottles for snacks but my own 2 year old (and even my almost 5 year old) would never cope without snacks as they both eat little and often as they just get overwhelmed with a big meal (even though a big meal for them is still about half what other children the same age will eat).

TheArk
02-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Some parents know how to make you feel so 'inadequate'!!! Why do they say things like that?? Obviously read a book or article somewhere?? Who knows!!

Anyway, rest assured, you are doing the absolute right thing (little and often)!! Good point about the bottles being a snack too!!! I don't know of any cm (and I run a cm group) who does not provide the children with healthy snacks. My older children would eat the sofa if I made them wait until dinner after school!!!

Is she a first time mum???????

Tinkerbell1979
02-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Is she a first time mum???????[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha how'd you guess !

Tinkerbell1979
04-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Oh surprise surprise she's finally realised she needs and wants snacks lol arghhhhhh at parents lol

Dragonfly
04-02-2013, 07:09 PM
I must admit when my children were small (adults now) I never used to let them snack and they were full of energy.We never had any of this mid morning or mid afternoon sit down to a snack time.Must of been a bad mum i suppose, but can't remember any of us friends/family back then doing it.Now i give a small snack to minded children because they just won't eat much lunch if i fill them with snacks mid morning.

MessybutHappy
05-02-2013, 07:10 AM
We grew up being told that snacks spoiled your appetite, so we never had them. I'd find it hard to give a snack to a child and then have them refuse lunch, but then probably have snack again before refusing tea. I guess if you have good eaters it wouldn't be an issue, but for fussy ones it could be good that they are at least eating something!!! Something to agree with the parents I think!