PDA

View Full Version : Little mesh food bags - anyone use them?

Mouse
01-02-2013, 09:38 AM
I have seen these mesh food bags before, with a handle a bit like a dummy, but have never used one.

This week I've had a mum bring one and ask me to use it for her 10mth old. He has been eating finger food well, but he had a bit of a choking session at home and now she is worried about him eating and has decided his snacks should be in one of these bag things.

Has anyone used one before and how do you clean it? I did put some banana in it and he enjoyed munching on that, but now the bag is a gooey mess. I've tried washing it and leaving it soaking, but nothing will get the banana out. I don't use a dishwasher, so could I put it in the washing machine?
If you've used one, are there specific foods you'd either put in it or avoid because they're impossible to clean out?

FussyElmo
01-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Not seen them.

How having food in a bag does it make it safer to eat? Or am I missing something?

I have an image of a horsebag :laughing::laughing::laughing:Sorry

Mouse
01-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Picture a dummy, but instead of a teet you have a mesh food bag, about 3" long and an inch wide. It fits half a small banana! You take the handle off, put some food inside and fit it back together.

The child holds the handle and sucks on the bag, straining the food through the net - no lumps, just mush.

AgentTink
01-02-2013, 10:13 AM
I had to use one for one of my little mindess as he was 11 months old and the family had still not moved him on from 4 month old baby jars, as every time he even sensed a lump of any kind he would spit and gag and eventually make him self sick. Suffice to the say the child then refused any type of finger foods. The advise was to use one of these to get child used to taste and textures. And it has really improved over the last 5 weeks, less gagging now and child has started to pick up toast and eat it.

I simply wash it under the tap normally and then boil a kettle of water and place it in a cup with boiling water, and i have found this has cleaned it well.

Mouse
01-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks AT. I have googled it now to see what they're called and everything I've read sas banana is he worst thing to clean out!

FE, this is what they are Amazon.com: Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder 1ea: Baby (http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Fresh-Food-Feeder-1ea/dp/B0009ET93Q)

bunyip
01-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Are these they? Feeding Infants | Baby Feeding Products | Fresh Food Feeder (http://www.babysafefeeder.com/what10.htm)

I can't help visualising those rock dummies we used to get on the seafront at Skeggie.
:D

nipper
01-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Another gimiccy thing for parents to have? apologies for spelling

FussyElmo
01-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks AT. I have googled it now to see what they're called and everything I've read sas banana is he worst thing to clean out!

FE, this is what they are Amazon.com: Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder 1ea: Baby (http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Fresh-Food-Feeder-1ea/dp/B0009ET93Q)

I think that is up with the nose cleaner in boots but if thats what mum wants

4little1 Baby nose-clear Nasal Aspirator with case - Boots (http://www.boots.com/en/4little1-Baby-nose-clear-Nasal-Aspirator-with-case-_118420/)

Mouse
01-02-2013, 10:33 AM

4little1 Baby nose-clear Nasal Aspirator with case - Boots (http://www.boots.com/en/4little1-Baby-nose-clear-Nasal-Aspirator-with-case-_118420/)

Exactly. This mum needs to know that I will do what she asks, so I'll use the bag until she's got her confidence back regarding feeding.

As for the baby nose clearer... :eeeek:

Mouse
01-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Are these they? Feeding Infants | Baby Feeding Products | Fresh Food Feeder (http://www.babysafefeeder.com/what10.htm)

I can't help visualising those rock dummies we used to get on the seafront at Skeggie.
:D

They do look pretty similar!

My children always hated that I wouldn't let them have rock dummies...or teeth rotters as I call them :rolleyes:

AgentTink
01-02-2013, 10:37 AM

I have to confess I had one of these for my little girl and recommended it for my little 10 week old cousin. It works really well as it is small enough to fit in a very young babys nose, and it really does remove mucus from the nose. My little girl couldn't take her bottle as she was a very snuffly child, and once i found this combined with nasal drops her feeding improved no end and she finally stop having snuffles after a week of using it.

bunyip
01-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Another gimiccy thing for parents to have? apologies for spelling

Gimicky? Oh, surely not. :rolleyes:

Oh, and while we're on the website, isn't the cutesy ickle baby wiv the "I hope my mom buys me one" thought bubble just pure class?

Why do I get an uncomfortable feeling this is the product of an entrepreneur who spends more time glued to Dragon's Den than they've ever spent with a baby?

Go on - I'll say it first, then it isn't sexist: could only have been designed by a man! :jump for joy:

rickysmiths
01-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Picture a dummy, but instead of a teet you have a mesh food bag, about 3" long and an inch wide. It fits half a small banana! You take the handle off, put some food inside and fit it back together.

The child holds the handle and sucks on the bag, straining the food through the net - no lumps, just mush.

Oh yuck! Honestly that sounds absolutely revolting.

TNT
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
I have one for my 8 month old. He is pretty good with finger food and lumps but I have used this with apples and pears as he finds them difficult to pick up in chunks and this worked really well. It also keeps him occupied eating at the end of a meal when I have a picky toddler to deal with too.
Dont knock it until you have tried it:thumbsup:

Mouse
01-02-2013, 12:59 PM
I have one for my 8 month old. He is pretty good with finger food and lumps but I have used this with apples and pears as he finds them difficult to pick up in chunks and this worked really well. It also keeps him occupied eating at the end of a meal when I have a picky toddler to deal with too.
Dont knock it until you have tried it:thumbsup:

How do you manage to clean it? Am I best just to avoid bananas as they seem to leave it really messy?

TNT
01-02-2013, 01:06 PM
I have only used it with other fruit.
I turn the mesh inside out and just wash it with the rest of the washing up, give it a rinse and stick it in the steriliser. I have never had a problem cleaning it, must be just banana thats a bit too sticky.

bunyip
01-02-2013, 01:10 PM
They're a bit pricey. Couldn't you do the same thing with a pair of old tights and a bulldog clip? :huh:

Mouse
01-02-2013, 01:10 PM
I have only used it with other fruit.
I turn the mesh inside out and just wash it with the rest of the washing up, give it a rinse and stick it in the steriliser. I have never had a problem cleaning it, must be just banana thats a bit too sticky.

Yes, I think that must be the problem.

I'll try him with different fruit next week.

Mouse
01-02-2013, 01:12 PM
They're a bit pricey. Couldn't you do the same thing with a pair of old tights and a bulldog clip? :huh:

I was thinking an old sock would do the trick ;)

FussyElmo
01-02-2013, 01:17 PM
I was thinking an old sock would do the trick ;)

What about the nets that come with washing powder tablets - take the teat of a dummy and there you go :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Mouse
01-02-2013, 01:21 PM
What about the nets that come with washing powder tablets - take the teat of a dummy and there you go :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Perfect!!

I think we're on to a winner here :clapping:

bunyip
01-02-2013, 01:33 PM

They aren't getting mine. They're perfect for storing garlic. :)

little chickee
01-02-2013, 01:34 PM

So funny!! I just had a total laughter induced coughing fit!!

wendywu
01-02-2013, 02:15 PM

:ROFL1::ROFL1:

cathtee
01-02-2013, 02:34 PM

Yak, don't think I like this idea, you've then got to get them out of the habit of eating this way:eek:

nipper
01-02-2013, 02:35 PM
What about a pair of nylons?:huh:

Sorry bunyip, just realised you said tights and not socks...duh read the question nipper

bunyip
01-02-2013, 03:34 PM
What about a pair of nylons?:huh:

Sorry bunyip, just realised you said tights and not socks...duh read the question nipper

Socks, tights or the expensive gizmo: it all ends up as half-chewed food mashed into fabric.

Oh hang on, ............that's what mealtimes at the Bunyip Bunker are like every day! :panic:

rachelle
01-02-2013, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't be cleaning it, I'd be sending it home in a food bag! I have a total banana phobia!

bunyip
01-02-2013, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't be cleaning it, I'd be sending it home in a food bag! I have a total banana phobia!

Pop the little bags under your rosebushes: loads of phosphorous in bananas.

"Sorry, mum. You should've said they were re-usable." :rolleyes:

shortstuff
01-02-2013, 07:42 PM
I dont think i would like the idea of these. I think it would encourage some lo's to try sucking plastic bags and the like. Not that i leave any anywhere but lo's can be really resourceful. And who knows if the parents are as vigilant.

oxfordshirecm
01-02-2013, 07:49 PM
My dd had this when she was younger they were fab- horrible to clean but meant she had all kinds of things without the worry of choking as I gave it to her from five months - I put melon strawberry apples pears banana etc. out of everything I found banana hardest to clean so would only use it a couple if times and throw it away x

TNT
01-02-2013, 08:04 PM
I dont think i would like the idea of these. I think it would encourage some lo's to try sucking plastic bags and the like. Not that i leave any anywhere but lo's can be really resourceful. And who knows if the parents are as vigilant.

They dont look or feel anything like a plastic bag.

blue bear
01-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Try soaking it In A false teeth sterilising tableylike strerident then wash it thoroughly that should get the banana out,but I agree it's just a gimiick what's wrong with mushing the bana with a fork?

Maza
01-02-2013, 08:51 PM
I used them for DD when she was poorly at about 7/8 months old. She was reluctant to go back onto solid food and so Iused this for a couple of days to get her used to other tastes again and it did the trick. Yes, I know she would have got back to solid food eventually but I was a first time mum! I also couldn't clean them properly and just got rid of them. I know it's tough but you can't be wasting lots of time trying to clean them, it is down to mum. x

SYLVIA
01-02-2013, 09:16 PM

That made me choke on my wine. maybe I need some tights and a clip!!

Trouble
01-02-2013, 10:42 PM
We use these at work i think there quite good and easy to clean i think asda sell them