PDA

View Full Version : Lock box for confidential paperwork?

lucyD
01-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Hi, can anyone tell me where I can a lock box for all my paperwork? I currently keep it all in a cupboard with a magna lock on but apparantly this is not good enough. Needs to be bigger than A4 ideally to keep LJ in, thanks in advance

miffy
01-02-2013, 09:26 AM
I got mine from WHSmiths - it's metal, lockable and has suspended A4 files in it - I use these for the children's confidential stuff.

Miffy xx

Mouse
01-02-2013, 09:45 AM
I have mine in a lockable filing cabinet, but that's only because I was given one.

Who said your locked cupboard is not good enough?

AliceK
01-02-2013, 09:47 AM
I keep mine in a locked cupboard too. I've never been told it's a problem?

xxx

Samcat
01-02-2013, 09:48 AM
I use the NCMA toolkit box. That came with a little padlock.

vikiwizz
01-02-2013, 09:56 AM
If you have an Aldi close by they have them for £9.99 at the moment, it's a lockable fire safe cox with suspendable files

bunyip
01-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Mine is also in the NCMA Tolkit box with the pathetic little padlock. Anybody with a posable digit could have it open in a flash, but why bother when it comes with a convenient handle so they could lift it and do a runner? Ofsted and my DO are however delighted with it.

Really the best approach is not to let any freaks in the house, but I guess that's not good enough for Ofsted. :rolleyes:

Mouse
01-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Mine is also in the NCMA Tolkit box with the pathetic little padlock. Anybody with a posable digit could have it open in a flash, but why bother when it comes with a convenient handle so they could lift it and do a runner? Ofsted and my DO are however delighted with it.

Really the best approach is not to let any freaks in the house, but I guess that's not good enough for Ofsted. :rolleyes:

I don't know if the NCMA ones have changed now, but at one time they were folded plastic with those tabs and slots to clip it together. Yes, you could padlock the front, but you could also unfold the bottom and sides with no effort at all!

FussyElmo
01-02-2013, 10:44 AM
I keep all my paperwork in a box under the bed. Dont think it has lid on never mind a lock.

Ofsted were fine with it - like I pointed out if someone had broken to take the details then a box with a lid on wasnt much deterent. Also any self respecting thief should go for the tv or bank statement not cm contracts :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rick
01-02-2013, 11:55 AM

That's the point really. It will stop the nosey people but I think my 2 year old could probably get in eventually :D

lucyD
01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Was told by a fellow childminder that she got 'told off' by ofsted as hers was in a cupboard with magnet lock & it needed to be a key lock cupboard or box! I too have the NCMA tool kit but got mine from ebay & there is no padlock on it

hmmm not sure what to do now. Have first graded insp soon & dont want to ruin with something silly like this

rickysmiths
01-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Was told by a fellow childminder that she got 'told off' by ofsted as hers was in a cupboard with magnet lock & it needed to be a key lock cupboard or box! I too have the NCMA tool kit but got mine from ebay & there is no padlock on it

hmmm not sure what to do now. Have first graded insp soon & dont want to ruin with something silly like this

Just buy a small padlock from a hardware store or homebase.

bunyip
01-02-2013, 01:06 PM

My Ofsted inspector was more concerned that I file all the Ofsted guidance documents in a 'Mickey Mouse' ringbinder. But she couldn't downgrade any judgements because of it. :D

watgem
01-02-2013, 01:35 PM
My ncma box is rubbish, when you have quite a few children it kind of bows out, so even though it locks at the front someone with skinny fingers could pull all the files out of the sides lol. I will have to look at WHSmith, thanks for sharing:)

Rick
01-02-2013, 01:35 PM
My Ofsted inspector was more concerned that I file all the Ofsted guidance documents in a 'Mickey Mouse' ringbinder. But she couldn't downgrade any judgements because of it. :D

Ha, I have a Mickey Mouse ring binder too (so what I say!) :laughing:

Samcat
01-02-2013, 01:37 PM
I had my inspection recently and she specifically asked were my permission forms, accident and incident info etc kept in a locked box. So I unlocked it in front of her to get out the paperwork she'd asked to see.
I agree there are easier ways to get into the NCMA toolkit box than via the lock!

bunyip
01-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Ha, I have a Mickey Mouse ring binder too (so what I say!) :laughing:

Tell them it's cos you're a "visual thinker" and give them your best "if the cap fits, then wear it" smile. :D

mum24
01-02-2013, 01:56 PM
I had my inspection recently and she specifically asked were my permission forms, accident and incident info etc kept in a locked box. So I unlocked it in front of her to get out the paperwork she'd asked to see.
I agree there are easier ways to get into the NCMA toolkit box than via the lock!

I have had 3 inspections and not once have i been asked where i keep my paperwork. It is locked as it happens, but the only person who has asked is the ncma do.

I was given a small office filing cabinet, the kind that fits under the desk, with a lock and i keep stuff in there. What a palaver about nothing, honestly.:rolleyes:

Mrs Scrubbit
01-02-2013, 04:07 PM
I've got a table-top lockable unit with drawers(one for each child) I think it came from Makro x