PDA

View Full Version : How many children can I mind?

tazzietwo
31-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Hi, I know there are several threads on here regarding space to children ratios but I just wondered when Ofsted will come out to check as I am going on the course in my area in September and may well have to pay for it (it's free at the moment). I obviously don't want to pay if I can't then have enough children to make childminding a worthwhile 'career choice' and I have read on here that you should ideally have a double mattress space for each child. I live in a 3 bed detached house but could only just get a double mattress in the space that is left in my lounge and another one in the dining room so don't know how others go on in smaller houses! I was going to use my stepson's bedroom for naps as he is never here in the week. Do I also register ours and my daughter's bedroom as regards to space? I am really confused and don't want to wait til Sept to be told I can't have more than 2 children as I am not working at the mo and could be finding an alternative childcare job. Thanks so much, Tara

FussyElmo
31-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Usually it 6 under 8 - with no more than 3 under 5.

Your children will count in the above numbers.

They do take in account your house space but as a rule of thumb it is 6 under 8

dette
31-01-2013, 04:08 PM
under the new guidlines they are removing the need for a quota of space per child so you wont have to worry

loocyloo
31-01-2013, 04:14 PM
when they talk about space they include whole room size, not just the amount of room left after including sofas, tables etc. i also think ( but am not sure, so don't quote me! ) that they now include kitchens and hallways in allowable space. when i first started minding i lived in a small 2 bed terraced house and was given permission to have the full 6 under 8.

bunyip
31-01-2013, 05:02 PM
under the new guidlines they are removing the need for a quota of space per child so you wont have to worry

Wow, really? :clapping:

So, my scheme for a row of 'Left Child Lockers' on every commuter station in the UK takes a step closer to fulfilment.
Does anyone want to buy in on the franchise while there's still time? :D

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

FussyElmo
31-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Wow, really? :clapping:

So, my scheme for a row of 'Left Child Lockers' on every commuter station in the UK takes a step closer to fulfilment.
Does anyone want to buy in on the franchise while there's still time? :D

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Me me - apparantly according to the report floor space is a trivial issue

bunyip
31-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Me me - apparantly according to the report floor space is a trivial issue

Great.:D

My 'left child locker' design includes a fresh water supply and an over-sized hamster wheel for exercise. I'm currently working on the 'Teach Yourself English & Maths for 2 year-olds" video which will be run on a loop via the visi-screen (just to keep Ms Truss happy.)

Working title for the company name is "All Trussed Up".

Watch this space.... :rolleyes:

JCrakers
31-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Great.:D

My 'left child locker' design includes a fresh water supply and an over-sized hamster wheel for exercise. I'm currently working on the 'Teach Yourself English & Maths for 2 year-olds" video which will be run on a loop via the visi-screen (just to keep Ms Truss happy.)

Working title for the company name is "All Trussed Up".

Watch this space.... :rolleyes:

Lol.... :p

I'll order four! Do you have anything similar for older school children? Boys in particular !! :P

chriss
31-01-2013, 08:47 PM
so floor space is trivial....its wont b the adults climbing the walls then;)

tazzietwo
31-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks for your replies. Sounds like I have no need to worry then so looking forward to starting a new challenge! x