PDA

View Full Version : Mindees return after operation

31-01-2013, 11:34 AM
I have a mindee that is due to go into hospital to have gromits put in his ears. He is only due there for the day and will have a general anaesthetic but mum has said he will b back with me the next day. I am not sure i am comfortable with this for a number of reasons I.e. risk of infection and the fact that the child could b poorly. What are your thoughts on this?

HeidiNBaker
31-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Hello, my son had grommets and it is a very quick and simple operation, we took a week off, but he was fine the minute he awoke from the operation, you could always ask the parents for a day at home before he comes back, for their peace of mind.
Always hard as a childminder, I had a mindee come to me the day after he spent a week in hospital with pneumonia - he was OK, just continuing the antibiotics.. A worry to begin with though, because his breathing was still a little laboured :0/

Tazmin68
31-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Hi

You don't say how old the child is. I had a mindee he was only 2 when had tonsils, adanoids and grommets op. at first they though he was deaf. He was at home with mom and she called me in a panic as he was hiding under the stairs and it was because she had the vacuum out and he had never heard it before and was scared whitless by the noise. As a minders house could be quite noisy with the children about I would have thought that it would be a good idea that he is home for 24/48 hours depending on what hearing was like before as with mine it was such a shock to hear so many noises.

dette
31-01-2013, 01:27 PM
my DD had gromits and was totally fine,there shouldnt be any discomfort and LO might actially feel better than normal .I would avoid being really noisy as tamzin68 has said as LO might be a bit senitive but my DD was at school the following day

31-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Mindee in question is 3 years old and we believe he struggles to hear most things. I childmind 4 kids most days and it s a very noisy and busy house which concerns me.

Tazmin68
31-01-2013, 01:44 PM
I would ask mum if child could stay at home for an extra day so that he can get used to all these lovely new noises that he can here as if he came straight to you it could be a little too much straight off and if he became distressed you would then be contacting her to collect him. It would give him that little extra time to get used to the noises that we are used to but are new to him.

RuthJ
31-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Mindee in question is 3 years old and we believe he struggles to hear most things. I childmind 4 kids most days and it s a very noisy and busy house which concerns me.

I'd tell the parent this and suggest she keep him at home the day after just to be on the safe side. You never know how anyone will react to a general anaesthetic and as a parent I'd want to keep them home for the first day after just to be sure!!