PDA

View Full Version : How far do you walk?

TNT
30-01-2013, 09:26 PM
My house has just gone on the market and we are starting to look around now for a new one:clapping: I dont drive so the house has to be within walking distance of the local infant and junior school, at the moment I live 0.7 miles away from the junior school and that is totally doable with little ones.
I am just wondering how far everyone else manages to walk.

TAZ
30-01-2013, 09:34 PM
I used to do a mile each way to school,but have since moved & now much closer!:jump for joy:

blue bear
30-01-2013, 09:38 PM
School is 0.5 miles from home, preschool another 0.5 miles, so that's a mile from home, but we walk from home to school to pre school then onto toddlers which is another 0.5 miles.
That's far enough, wouldn't want to be doing more with little ones.

cathtee
30-01-2013, 09:39 PM
It's about a 10 minute walk to my local school although it does take longer sometimes depending on A who likes to keep stopping and
looking at things

sprinkles
30-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Good question :thumbsup:

I've not decided if I'm going to use my car once I'm registered. We live about 10/15 minute walk from the town centre but if I get schoolies both schools are out the other end of town so one is about 15 minutes in the other direction and the other is about another 5/10 mins past the first one.

I wouldn't need my car as there is plenty to do in the town, it just means we wouldn't have days away to animal parks etc.

LauraS
30-01-2013, 10:46 PM
I do just over a mile and a half to school.and back, three times a day. So almost five miles. Then extra depending on where we go that day, we went to soft play which is five mins walk today, but big park and library for example are maybe two or three miles round trip on top, plus walking around whilst there.

Its a lot when you add it up.

Keep toying with getting a car and.driving but I know I'd use it for most journeys and get lazy, and the walking is doing wonders for my diet :)

samb
30-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Currently I do 1.2 miles (there and back) 3 times a day for 3 days and 2 times a day the other 2 days (not inc any toddler groups etc). However in September my dd starts junior school which is the other side of our village. I have just worked it out using google maps and I am now a little schocked about how far it actually is! So 5 days a week I will need to do 2 mile round trip morning and afternoon plus 3 of those days do the usual 1.2 miles for preschool run. Think I might have to start driving some of them! We have loads of alleyways which helps with the walking as it is more straight forward than the road - driving 1 school run would be 3.1m instead of the 2m walking. Hmmmm

christine e
31-01-2013, 12:22 AM
I live one and a half miles from school and think this is too far to walk on a regular basis. I can do it but it is tiring for the very small ones, if I don't have any little ones I sometimes walk to school on my own and then the children just walk back. Going to school is mainly up hill and coming home mainly downhill. Also, we have to cross a very busy road so actually don't take the most direct route so that we can cross via a pedestrian crossing.

watgem
31-01-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm a mile from school, so each day is usually 4 miles, 6 on a preschool day! luckily its mainly all flat, and takes between 20 mins to half hour depending on children/weather. we use the time to have lovely conversations, look at wildlife, tell stories, play i spy etc, unfortunately it hasn't made me any thinner lol

singingcactus
31-01-2013, 07:58 AM
I used to walk a couple of miles to get to the only decent nursery in our area. All my kids from age 2 would do the walk, there, back, there and back every day.

TNT
31-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have seen a lovely house that is 1.1 miles from the infant school, however in the morning that means I need to be at the infants for 8.40, 1.1 miles, the juniors for 8.55, thats walking back the way I came for 0.5 miles then to preschool which is next to the infant school, 0.5 miles, then home 1.1 miles. Thats 3.2 miles! Although little ones will only be walking 2.1 miles max and I have the double pushchair and/or buggy board.
Hmmmmm would be ok in the summer, but icy cold and windy:eek:

lynncjt
31-01-2013, 08:21 AM
I'm .6 from school but only have to do a pick up at night - even so the last few days I've been taking the car as it's been lashing rain and winds up to 60mph! Bad enough for me but not much fun for the littlies waiting for the schoolies to come out!

Nursery is over a mile and I always take the car.... May try walking in the better weather.