PDA

View Full Version : Sadly it begins

FussyElmo
30-01-2013, 07:07 PM
A teacher friend which a hatred of the Tory government to the point of exterme has just sent me this.

Strong backing for Liz Truss's childcare reforms The Tory Diary (http://conservativehome.blogs.com/thetorydiary/2013/01/strong-backing-for-liz-trusss-childcare-reforms.html)

What a suprise the big nurseries are out in favour shane they are thinking of profit not children :(

Rick
30-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Oxonymous has to be the most obnoxious person ever. How do comments like that help anyone.

What a :censored:

The Juggler
30-01-2013, 07:20 PM
awful hon. Kidsunlimited were on the news last night saying they would NOT be increasing ratios anytime soon. Wonder how long they will hold that ethic once everyone else backs it?

lisbet
30-01-2013, 07:25 PM
:angry:

:ohdear:

silvermist
30-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Oxonymous has to be the most obnoxious person ever. How do comments like that help anyone.

What a :censored:

What a complete :censored: indeed! Honestly some people!:angry:

sarah707
30-01-2013, 07:47 PM
This is exactly what I have been saying!!

if they all increase ratios - which they will have to do to stay sustainable - then what happens to us? :(

lisbet
30-01-2013, 07:50 PM
This is exactly what I have been saying!!

if they all increase ratios - which they will have to do to stay sustainable - then what happens to us? :(

And the children :(

(Sorry there is no way to say that without it bringing cheesy comedy quotes to mind, but seriously...)

Velleity
30-01-2013, 08:12 PM
I don't get it. Surely this is a GOOD thing for me as a Childminder? Nurseries take on more children but their prices remain the same. We keep our low ratio, by choice, and in comparison can market ourselves as the safer option and that icthe children in our care will get far more attention than in the nurseries etc etc

Maybe I haven't understood but to me, it seems that I now have a USP. No-ones prices are changing, so I don't see why parents would be any more likely to choose a nursery.

sarah707
30-01-2013, 08:27 PM
I don't get it. Surely this is a GOOD thing for me as a Childminder? Nurseries take on more children but their prices remain the same. We keep our low ratio, by choice, and in comparison can market ourselves as the safer option and that icthe children in our care will get far more attention than in the nurseries etc etc

Maybe I haven't understood but to me, it seems that I now have a USP. No-ones prices are changing, so I don't see why parents would be any more likely to choose a nursery.

I see what you are saying... from my viewpoint though...

Nurseries are doubling their ratios... where are you going to find your children when their big advertising budgets and aggressive marketing tactics start?

Remember they will have to take on extra children to pay their staff higher wages because they have to be better qualified - and better qualified staff always demand more money!!

I know very few childminders who are full every day to their ratios now... many thousands are actively looking for work... lucky few are full as they want to be...

Are there enough children to go round if they are all in school at 2 anyway (another of the plans) - Oh good, said one parent reported on FB - free childcare from 2!! :(

Yes you have an excellent USP - but how many parents will be out there to listen to you?

xx

SammySplodger
30-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Velleity I agree and am clinging to the same hope.... But fearing parents who find a CM via an agency will get some kind of Gov benefit/tax break, thus forcing us all to join one.

SammySplodger
30-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Sarah - will it be free from 2 at school? I thought you still have to pay them?

Mouse
30-01-2013, 08:49 PM

I have already had parents react in horror to the thought of a nursery worker being in charge of 6 2 year olds. As one said, "I'd never have sent my child to a nursery, but I'd be even less likely to now!" I'm not worried about it. Parents in my area tend to send their chid to nursery because there aren't enough good childminders about. Sounds like we'll be even more in demand now :D

sarak31
30-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Velleity I agree and am clinging to the same hope.... But fearing parents who find a CM via an agency will get some kind of Gov benefit/tax break, thus forcing us all to join one.

Yes I suspect the same - we will only be able to offer funded places, access training, claim childcare vouchers etc etc if we are part of a network...... let's wait and see....

Sarah - I agree with you the competition will increase BUT I am certain that all my parents come to me because they actively choose not to have a nursery, they want the more personal care. Unsure what response will be once the nursery care is cheaper for them because they can claim tax credit, vouchers etc that that might not be able to with me though.

wendywu
30-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Today i had a mum who was willing to pay me 100 pounds per week more than the after school club.Just so that her 4 year old twins would not be in the school environment all day.

So there are people out there who put their childrens well being before money :thumbsup:

Early Years Consultant
30-01-2013, 09:24 PM
The outcry against increasing child:adult ratios is in regard to genuine concern about the quality of care, learning opportunities and safety one practitioner can reasonably be expected to provide when working with a larger group of children. The new ratios for childminders (planned for September this year) will be:

1 adult to 2 babies Under 1 year old
1 adult to 4 toddlers aged 1 and 2
1 adult to 4 children aged 3, 4, 5
1 adult to 6 children aged 6

Childminders may feel that there is potential here to earn more money (although we know more is not in fact much!) but I would ask you to consider, at the very least, how workable these ratios are from a practical point of view e.g. feeding, changing, comforting, ferrying. Then consider how much of your undivided care and attention each child will get. If you still have no objections to the increases in child:adult ratios consider the quality of the learning experiences you will be able to provide each child. Finally, do you really want all that paperwork? :panic:

LauraS
30-01-2013, 10:51 PM
The new ratios for childminders (planned for September this year) will be:

Huh? I would have expected an early years consultant to have their facts straight ;)

Mouse
30-01-2013, 11:29 PM
The outcry against increasing child:adult ratios is in regard to genuine concern about the quality of care, learning opportunities and safety one practitioner can reasonably be expected to provide when working with a larger group of children. The new ratios for childminders (planned for September this year) will be:

Childminders may feel that there is potential here to earn more money (although we know more is not in fact much!) but I would ask you to consider, at the very least, how workable these ratios are from a practical point of view e.g. feeding, changing, comforting, ferrying. Then consider how much of your undivided care and attention each child will get. If you still have no objections to the increases in child:adult ratios consider the quality of the learning experiences you will be able to provide each child. Finally, do you really want all that paperwork? :panic:

I do it now. Very easily.

My minded children have a fantastic time and the quality of their learning experiences is brilliant. Feeding is hardly difficult, even with 2 babies who need bottle or spoon feeding. How do you assume parents with twins manage? Changing - you only change one baby at a time! It's not as if they all have to be changed simultaneously :rolleyes: Comforting - you cuddle them as needed. All four need comforting at once (very rarely happens)? Sit on the sofa, one on each knee, one cuddled in either side of you. Ferrying? We walk everywhere. Children are given the opportunity to walk as soon as they're ready to. So much healthier for them than bein driven everywhere :laughing: If they can't walk there are double, even triple buggies available.

As for all that paperwork...no problem. I have my own tried and tested systems which require minimal time and effort.

Some people struggle to look after 2 children. Others of us have no problem with 4. Maybe now more people will try it an realise it really isn't as hard as they'd thought :thumbsup:
But if people don't want to have 4 children, they won't have to. It's not compulsory. Not all childminders are money grabbers!. The majority will only take on the number of children they know they can comfortably and safely look after. For those of us who can manage the increase in numbers, please don't insult us by telling us how impossible it is.

rickysmiths
31-01-2013, 12:50 AM
I do it now. Very easily.

My minded children have a fantastic time and the quality of their learning experiences is brilliant. Feeding is hardly difficult, even with 2 babies who need bottle or spoon feeding. How do you assume parents with twins manage? Changing - you only change one baby at a time! It's not as if they all have to be changed simultaneously :rolleyes: Comforting - you cuddle them as needed. All four need comforting at once (very rarely happens)? Sit on the sofa, one on each knee, one cuddled in either side of you. Ferrying? We walk everywhere. Children are given the opportunity to walk as soon as they're ready to. So much healthier for them than bein driven everywhere :laughing: If they can't walk there are double, even triple buggies available.

As for all that paperwork...no problem. I have my own tried and tested systems which require minimal time and effort.

Some people struggle to look after 2 children. Others of us have no problem with 4. Maybe now more people will try it an realise it really isn't as hard as they'd thought :thumbsup:
But if people don't want to have 4 children, they won't have to. It's not compulsory. Not all childminders are money grabbers!. The majority will only take on the number of children they know they can comfortably and safely look after. For those of us who can manage the increase in numbers, please don't insult us by telling us how impossible it is.

Well said Mouse. :clapping:

I feel the same way as you. I have had so many Variations for two under ones I have had on my Certificate for many years now that I can care for two under ones. I have regularly had variations to have two under ones and an additional two under threes. In fact in two weeks I will have an over lap of two under ones and on one day I will have the two under ones and two two year olds and a 5yr old before and after school.

My children progress wonderfully, my parents love what I do with the children.

In the last two days my parents have been commenting to me about their shock at the increases being allowed for the nurseries and especially 4 under ones per person. A parent who has just signed a contract with me for full time care for a nearly one year old visited a local Nursery, well two in fact and told me they were shocked at the mayhem, noise, and the number of children careering around and couldn't get out fast enough. They said what an earth is going to happen when the number of children increase and the adults decrease. They and other are horrified at the idea.

Also as I understand it the 'more qualified' staff are only required to be more qualified to the tune of a maths and english GCSE. Not a lot then and no extra training in something sensible like Child Development!! Really what is Ms Truss thinking? Does she not know the high % of 16yr olds that leave school with theses anyway and all the schools push very hard to get them C and above because it improves the League Tables. I doubt there are many young Nursery Workers that don't have these these days.

So all she is doing is giving the Large Nursery Chains an excuse to sack a few hundred workers between them, more unemployment and child poverty.

Have staff who only have the skills they most likely have now so no change or increase in skills or wages.

Have more children, more income and guess what? oh yes BIGGER PROFITS.

What to the parents get? Well more children in prob the same space. Same cost. Prob lower quality care and even less attention for their child especially the 2s and under, the most vulnerable group.

I think a lot of parents will look for Home Based Child care. As more Childminder's become able to deliver the Free Funding and as a lot of us are already cheaper then our local Nurseries I think we will become an attractive proposition as we provide quality care and individual care.

My fear for the children is that this may also increase the number of illegal child carers and grandparents of family who feel obliged to help out.

christine e
31-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Huh? I would have expected an early years consultant to have their facts straight ;)

But surely that is what the proposed new ratios are?

christine e
31-01-2013, 07:03 AM
But surely that is what the proposed new ratios are?

Ooops sorry I can see now that she wrote 6 children under 6 which to be fair I think is a typo - really think you were a bit harsh on someone who has only posted twice!

LauraS
31-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Ooops sorry I can see now that she wrote 6 children under 6 which to be fair I think is a typo - really think you were a bit harsh on someone who has only posted twice!

To be fair, the whole thing is misleading (or badly worded) to say two babies per adult, or four under 5s per adult does not explain clearly at all.

I wouldn't have been harsh but for the fact that I feel that if someone declares themself to be an Early Years Consultant, they are putting themselves out there as an 'expert' and their advice might well be regarded with this in mind. Fair enough, we all make errors but this was a very basic.one and could cause undue panic for anyone who might take their word as gospel.

I apologise for being harsh :)