PDA

View Full Version : 4 yr old for just 4 hours a week

MrsP2C
29-01-2013, 09:09 PM
I have just started with a 4 year old who comes just 1 morning (4 hours) a week. He goes to pre-school for his 15 hours funded sessions so they are most definitely his main Childcare providers but I'm unclear what I am expected to do in terms of on-going obs, planning, next steps etc? I've started doing 1 observation per session & will keep a scrapbook of his work but is this enough? I assume I should be working in partnership with the nursery but I honestly can't see them being interested in my little offering when they do a comprehensive LJ etc
Thanks
MrsP2C

rosebud
29-01-2013, 09:11 PM
I have just started with a 4 year old who comes just 1 morning (4 hours) a week. He goes to pre-school for his 15 hours funded sessions so they are most definitely his main Childcare providers but I'm unclear what I am expected to do in terms of on-going obs, planning, next steps etc? I've started doing 1 observation per session & will keep a scrapbook of his work but is this enough? I assume I should be working in partnership with the nursery but I honestly can't see them being interested in my little offering when they do a comprehensive LJ etc
Thanks
MrsP2C

You could pop in to nursery and ask them what themes / topics they are covering this term so that you can provide resources and activities to support his learning there. Ask them if there's anything else you can do to help support his learning.

sarah707
30-01-2013, 06:28 PM
I agree it seems a lot of work for just 4 hours a week doesn't it??

I'd suggest like rosebud - see if you can get hold of a newsletter or ideas off their noticeboard as well.

I wouldn't do an obs per visit... maybe 1 every 2 or 3 with some ideas for individual planning to follow home interests but nothing complicated or in depth.

Hth :D