PDA

View Full Version : Child who breaks things - ideas please

rosebud
29-01-2013, 01:46 PM
He's 3 and I should make it clear he doesn't break things on purpose its just the way he plays. He wants to know how things work and what will happen if .....
I just wondered if any of you lovely people have suggestions on activities / resources which might suit the way he plays.
He also empties all the boxes of toys and then doesn't play with the contents, its as though he's not happy unless they're all empty - I usually manage this with the "less is more" rule and only put a few boxes out at a time, if he wants something else he has to put something away first.
Consequences for breaking things are already in place so that he starts to think about what he's doing but I would just like to make life a little easier - for him and me! (and of course not break the bank by constantly replacing things) Any ideas welcomed.

nipper
29-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Look at this

Information on schemas (http://lucy-locket.com/schema.html)

I think Sarah put this as a link to another post, it certainly makes interesting reading and might perhaps give you some more information.

sarah707
29-01-2013, 07:29 PM
I used to look after a child like that - he grew out of it thankfully!

I did treat it as a schema and bought toys that can be taken apart for him to play with ... like the baby who throws and you put a soft beanbag in his hand... same sort of thing with this lo.

Something has also been recognised called a scattering schema - there's not much infor about it out there but it does exist. If the child needs to scatter then give him a place he can fill and some little toys and direct him there when he gets the urge.

it will pass! :D

TAZ
29-01-2013, 07:36 PM
really interesting stuff on schema's -Thank you :)

rosebud
29-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Of course schemas. Sometimes I just need reminding. Thanks for all your help.

sarah707
29-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Look at this

Information on schemas (http://lucy-locket.com/schema.html)

I think Sarah put this as a link to another post, it certainly makes interesting reading and might perhaps give you some more information.

Yes this is my friend's website - it has some fab information about schemas.

more here - Schemas - dorsetforyou.com (http://www.dorsetforyou.com/357248) :D

Jayse74
29-01-2013, 11:07 PM
That link is brilliant and thanx for putting it up! Just told my DW and she is very interested. The amazing thing is I seem to have already noticed all these patterns in the younger mindees but did not know that it had a defined name... one lad is really into lining things up and today he lost two toys that he brings. Without realising I went straight to the corners of the room looking for places where he likes to park these cars together on the egde of something, it is always together never just randomly on the floor. He does it with alot of things aswell which my DW has noted in his ob's. Another child likes to look upside down alot and spiderman is his favorite hero because he hangs upside down lol. Excellent reading on that site! shall be printing out bits (if that is ok to do?)