PDA

View Full Version : She's on radio 2 at the moment

nipper
29-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Elizabeth Truss on Jeremy Vine show now on Radio 2

taiwallis
29-01-2013, 12:16 PM
getting very confused.... she said on bbc this morning that the change in child numbers was only for nurseries and didn't apply to childminders - yet now they are stating that it does affect childminders....

lisbet
29-01-2013, 12:35 PM
I don't think I would be able to bear to listen. :ohdear:

I thought no-one could infuriate me more than Michael Gove, but I think Truss may just manage it. :mad:

Tazmin68
29-01-2013, 12:51 PM
So what are our ratios. Will someone tell us!!!!!

FussyElmo
29-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Still 6 under 8.

4 under 5, 2 under 1.

nipper
29-01-2013, 12:54 PM
So what happens if you are currently looking after 4 under fives, does this mean you can do a self-variation for another under 5?

FussyElmo
29-01-2013, 12:56 PM
So what happens if you are currently looking after 4 under fives, does this mean you can do a self-variation for another under 5?

I posted the full report in the campaigns and petitions but reading yes but only for short periods

loocyloo
29-01-2013, 01:10 PM
so when does this increase in ratios start?

oooo, she made me so cross on the radio! mindee asked me why i was talking to the radio! i said because a silly lady was talking!

jackie 7
29-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Haven't heard her but I am trying to get on l b c London radio. I hate the wait

wendywu
29-01-2013, 01:12 PM
so when does this increase in ratios start?

oooo, she made me so cross on the radio! mindee asked me why i was talking to the radio! i said because a silly lady was talking!

September 2013 :rolleyes:

Tazmin68
29-01-2013, 01:15 PM
On nursery world website she says that compulsary to join network . Network will pay out the fees for 2 and 3 year old funding to minders. Parents will pay fees to network and then they pay us!!!!!!! Plus network sorts out insurance etc. not happy about that

AgentTink
29-01-2013, 01:29 PM
On nursery world website she says that compulsary to join network . Network will pay out the fees for 2 and 3 year old funding to minders. Parents will pay fees to network and then they pay us!!!!!!! Plus network sorts out insurance etc. not happy about that

Tamzin could you put a link to were you saw this info please. I have just read he full report and it very clearly says agencies will not be compulsory. The fees for 2,3, and 4 year old will still be paid by the Local Authority the only difference being that nurseries/childminders do not need to be inspected by local authorities to get the funding. Which in my opinion is a big plus for childminders, as It should stop some of the unnecessary paperwork that local authorities say we have to do.

nipper
29-01-2013, 01:36 PM
"agencies would collect money from parents and you as a childminder would be paid as part of that"

Taken from the nursery world website

Tazmin68
29-01-2013, 01:37 PM
It is nursery world.co.uk/news/1168614

It does state that parents would then pay them and they then pay us.

nipper
29-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Tamzin could you put a link to were you saw this info please. I have just read he full report and it very clearly says agencies will not be compulsory. The fees for 2,3, and 4 year old will still be paid by the Local Authority the only difference being that nurseries/childminders do not need to be inspected by local authorities to get the funding. Which in my opinion is a big plus for childminders, as It should stop some of the unnecessary paperwork that local authorities say we have to do.

I read the article as saying that if you want to become a childminder, you have to join an agency...sounds pretty compulsory to me

So the idea is that if you want to be a childminder you register with the agency, they would do things like sort out your training, your insurance, they would market your services to parents, they’d deal with Government funding, collect money from parents and you as a childminder would be paid as part of that.

caz3007
29-01-2013, 01:42 PM
I read the article as saying that if you want to become a childminder, you have to join an agency...sounds pretty compulsory to me

So the idea is that if you want to be a childminder you register with the agency, they would do things like sort out your training, your insurance, they would market your services to parents, they’d deal with Government funding, collect money from parents and you as a childminder would be paid as part of that.

I cant see how this will make childcare cheaper as the agency would take their cut as do employment agencies

I was just watching itv news and she avoided answering the presenters question on how the changes will make childcare cheaper. :panic:

nipper
29-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Not really the reason why I started my own business...erm, to be my own boss, collect my own money...need I go on.

Tazmin68
29-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Nipper

I totally agree with you. Makes it sound that we will no longer be self employed.

JCrakers
29-01-2013, 01:51 PM
If I had to become part of an agency I wouldn't take a pay cut. I charge £3.50 per hour so if the agency is moneymaking then they would need to charge the parents more...maybe an extra 50p an hour ??

Confused...where is the lower childcare for parents ???

Oh..wait a minute....I get it.....I'm going to have to work for a lower amount...HO..HO..HO...Hilarious ;p

Well..ok.....take away all the paperwork,eyfs and development matters, form filling, learning journeys, toddler group visits, educational trips to the wider environment, kitchen inspections, my funding inspections, planned crafts, food thats included in the price, crafts i have to pay for, written diaries, working with other providers, and I'll just "look after the children" for a lower amount :)

Does that sound good Ms Truss???

nipper
29-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Don't forget membership of NCMA or MM

watgem
29-01-2013, 02:18 PM
its making me feel so depressed, am really not liking the sound of this, I just as well be employed in a nursery

Belly2009
29-01-2013, 02:19 PM
We as childminders do NOT need to join the agency. Please read the report.....ive copied and pasted the section below.

"It will not be compulsory for childminders to join agencies. Many existing childminders have already overcome barriers to enter the market – the registration process, the costs of training – and have built up successful small businesses. It is absolutely right that these childminders continue to be free to operate independently. However, for new or existing childminders, such as those working in rural areas where support is lacking, for example, agencies can offer a formalised support network and a more secure way of working."

LauraS
29-01-2013, 02:22 PM
If I had to become part of an agency I wouldn't take a pay cut. I charge £3.50 per hour so if the agency is moneymaking then they would need to charge the parents more...maybe an extra 50p an hour ??

Confused...where is the lower childcare for parents ???

Oh..wait a minute....I get it.....I'm going to have to work for a lower amount...HO..HO..HO...Hilarious ;p

Precisely. How can.adding in a profit making third party go-between lower the cost?! Durrrr

Tazmin68
29-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Has anyone started a petition in that childminders do not want to join an agency any by doing so fees would not be lowered as the agency would also require minders to pay a fee which would then be another expense.

loocyloo
29-01-2013, 06:40 PM
We as childminders do NOT need to join the agency. Please read the report.....ive copied and pasted the section below.

"It will not be compulsory for childminders to join agencies. Many existing childminders have already overcome barriers to enter the market – the registration process, the costs of training – and have built up successful small businesses. It is absolutely right that these childminders continue to be free to operate independently. However, for new or existing childminders, such as those working in rural areas where support is lacking, for example, agencies can offer a formalised support network and a more secure way of working."

LOL i am in a rural area ... support is NOT lacking in my area ... childminders are!

edited to say, did anyone hear the comment read out that someone wanted to be a childminder but didn't because of all the red tape/paperwork ... they obviously thought it was an easy job to do whilst staying at home and wen they realised it was a 'real' job didn't carry on with it. so i can't see how providing support is going to get people into childminding, as if people don't want to train/study to do the job, then they won't!

TooEarlyForGin?
29-01-2013, 07:06 PM

I think like most of the report this is absolutely bonkers. I can't see how it works. If we become part of agencies we're no longer self-employed so who will pay our tax and National Insurance? Also can we then demand minimum wage even if we only have one child? And surely the cost to parents would still even be higher because somebody would have to pay a percentage to the agencies to do all this for us.

Like I say bonkers.

Belly2009
30-01-2013, 12:41 PM
LOL i am in a rural area ... support is NOT lacking in my area ... childminders are!

edited to say, did anyone hear the comment read out that someone wanted to be a childminder but didn't because of all the red tape/paperwork ... they obviously thought it was an easy job to do whilst staying at home and wen they realised it was a 'real' job didn't carry on with it. so i can't see how providing support is going to get people into childminding, as if people don't want to train/study to do the job, then they won't!

I am in an urban area and support IS lacking. This way everyone is entitled to the same. I for one am fed up of being pushed in a corner when a childminder who lives across a boundary on a county gets loads more from their LA