PDA

View Full Version : Activities for 16 1/2 month old and 11 month old

Tinkerbell1979
29-01-2013, 11:09 AM
OMG proper stressed I wanna cry! EVERYTHING activity wise I try to do mindee kids not interested !!!! What can I do, Ofsted visit this week, they just wanna free play, did shaving foam today, lasted 5 minutes, cold spaghetti, 11 month old not interested, 16.5 month old ate it and did nothing else, did chalking, 11 month old enjoyed, it fir a few minutes, 16.5 month old wandered off, story time, both went to play with something else

Help

lilac_dragon
29-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Do you think that maybe you're trying too hard?
At this age free play is mostly what they do. Have a selection of age appropriate things available, but just let them wander from one thing to another. As long as you're interacting with them - Wow, what have you found? Can we find some more? Do they fit in here? how many have we got? 1,2,3.Well done, good counting! They have the attention span of gnats mostly! The Inspector wants to see you as confident and supportive, following their interests rather than stressed out - which might affect the children and cause them to play you up making matters worse!
hope it goes well.

JCrakers
29-01-2013, 11:22 AM
And breathe.......

If the children want to have free play...let them. You can't make them enjoy or participate in an activity :)
As long as they are happy then ofsted should be.

I don't do any activities with little ones so small, they just don't have the concentration. I've tried...I get the activity out, they get distracted after a couple of seconds. I had 2,3 and 4 yr olds who love this stuff...really get a lot from it.

Did you get pictures that you could show ofsted ? If so, just show the inspector and explain what happened when you did it. :)
Say...this child wanted to play instead and so I observed that he/she didn't enjoy the activity. I might try something different next time or try it again in a couple of months :) it shows that you are taking the child's interests into consideration :)