PDA

View Full Version : Maternity allowance

Kirsty90
29-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Sorry not sure where the best place is to post this, I've had a look round and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I'm due to go on maternity leave at the beginning of April and wanted to take until around September off except with 1 mindee. Does anyone know if your allowed to go earn any income at all whilst claiming maternity allowance or would I have to come off the maternity allowance in order to take this particular mindee back early?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks

Kirsty

Rick
29-01-2013, 08:25 AM
My initial thought is if you are working then you can't claim maternity allowance. It just so happens you work at home so can care for your newborn.

Congrats by the way, my wife is expecting a LO in April :clapping:

vikiwizz
29-01-2013, 08:46 AM
I agree, I pretty sure when claiming maternity allowance you can't earn an income as well. I'm in the same situation, due in April and taking till Sept off

tori4
29-01-2013, 09:04 AM
I believe (it's been 4yrs since ) that as you r self employed u r allowed a % of 'keeping in touch ' days . If u google the phase n maternity leave I'm sure u will find the answer. I also spk to local tax office ( or whoever it was that pay MA) and they were really helpful.

Congrats xT

Katy M
29-01-2013, 09:43 AM
I think I am right- you can't earn any money while claiming maternity allowance. You are allowed about a week of overlap from finishing your maternity allowance and working again.

Jobcentre Plus are the people to call. They will tell you all you need to know. This is their number: 0800 055 6688.

TNT
29-01-2013, 09:48 AM
You are allowed 10 keeping in touch days where you can earn money and it wont affect your mat allowance.