PDA

View Full Version : more newbie advice re holidays

squeely wheely
28-01-2013, 08:03 PM
I was wondering if you give parents holiday days. It seems strange to me but the childminders around here seem to give 20 days. I just see that as 20 days I'm not going to get paid for. Also if I can't have my holiday at the same time then there will be more days I don't get paid. Hummmm do you give holiday days? Is this something parents expect?

Thanks!

sprinkles
28-01-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm in the registration process but I've got in my fees policy that if I'm on holiday then parents are not expected to pay but if they take a holiday then full fees are payable. The way I see it is if my service is available but they choose not to use it then they should still pay for it but if I'm not available I can't expect parents to pay me.

cathtee
28-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Hi, I charge my parents for their holidays if they are not taken at the same time as mine. I give them the dates I will be taking in January
and they can either take the same weeks and not have to pay or take their own and pay me when they are off. I take 4-5 weeks each
year 2 in term time and 2 in the 6 weeks school holiday, hope this helps.

Rick
28-01-2013, 09:00 PM
If a parent goes on holiday or LO is ill then they still pay. If I go on holiday or I or my son is ill then parents don't pay. I don't give a specified number of weeks I will be on leave but give as much notice as possible so parents can try and take a holiday at the same time

mazza58
28-01-2013, 09:08 PM
I charge parents full fees if they are on holiday or if mindee is ill, but do not charge them for my holidays or if I am off ill. I let them know as early as possible of my holiday dates so that they can either book the same time or arrange child care

busybee_mummy
28-01-2013, 09:18 PM
I give 4 weeks holiday to families (if they come once a week then this is 4 days or 5 x week this would be 20 days holiday).

I charge full for illness or cancellations within 48 hrs.

I don't charge for my holidays or days off.

The Juggler
28-01-2013, 10:02 PM
spin it on its head hon. give parents 4 weeks payment free -but for YOUR holidays. Any time they take off that doesn't match with your chosen holidays is full fee:thumbsup:

miffy
28-01-2013, 10:56 PM
I don't charge for my holidays but I have them when I want - if you have several families on the books you couldn't possibly please everyone so you may as well please yourself. I charge for parents holidays as I'm open for business.

Miffy xx

TAZ
28-01-2013, 10:56 PM
I charge when I'm available, don't charge when I'm not. Give at least 4 weeks notice of any holiday time (more if known in advance)

Porridge
28-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Just to be clear (because it took a while for me to realise!) if you mind for several families, and they all decide when they take their 4 weeks (or however long) holiday... you will basically work all year round but with slightly less children on certain days. However, if you set your own holiday dates (I say 2 weeks at Xmas and 2 weeks in summer hols - and provide exact dates at few months in advance) you actually get some time off yourself!!!! I found this as I started to look after more families, then my own children started to go to school. For me, the fact that I don't get paid for this time is irrelevant - I NEED some time off!!! At least by setting your own dates you know you will have a break from it - it's very important and I've never had a parent argue with that! :)