PDA

View Full Version : Accredited Childminders - stretched entitlement

linzi133
28-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Hi everyone...my head is battered and I need some help.

I recently accredited and now offering NEG. One of my little ones is taking his entitlement with me but with extra childcare and I'm stretching his entitlement. But I need some advice as to what to charge as I can't get my head round it!

My normal charges are £4 per hour or £32 per day.

NEG pays £3.25 per hour.

He is with me 3 days Mon - 10-5
Wed - 8-5
Fri 8-5

I worked out his stretched entitlement is 10.5 hours per week until end of summer holidays. So....how much to i charge mum.

Any help would be gratefully received! Ive come up with soo many figures my head is hurting. I don't want to over charge mum but I don't want to be out of pocket either!
(I'll not even go into the whole holiday malarky!!)

Sarahbelle
28-01-2013, 07:40 AM

I recently accredited and now offering NEG. One of my little ones is taking his entitlement with me but with extra childcare and I'm stretching his entitlement. But I need some advice as to what to charge as I can't get my head round it!

NEG pays £3.25 per hour.

Wed - 8-5
Fri 8-5

I worked out his stretched entitlement is 10.5 hours per week until end of summer holidays. So....how much to i charge mum.

Any help would be gratefully received! Ive come up with soo many figures my head is hurting. I don't want to over charge mum but I don't want to be out of pocket either!

Hi Hun

If she is having 10.5 hours a week free entitlement then you charge the extra hours each week. So she is having 25 hours a week, less 10.5 hours funded which leaves 14.5 hours a week to be charged at your hourly rate.

tashaleee
28-01-2013, 07:53 AM

NEG pays £3.25 per hour.

Wed - 8-5
Fri 8-5

He can have a maximum of 15 hours per week funded with you - not sure what you mean about stretched entitlement? These hours are term time only (so no half terms or easter break she would have to pay full for these). He can split his funded place with you and one other setting.

You are not allowed to charge any extra so for the hours he has funded you will loose money each hour ie you will be 75p per funded hour down

linzi133
28-01-2013, 08:03 AM
I can stretch her entitlement so instead of 'free' hours only in term time she gets an average hours that covers term time and school holidays.

tashaleee
28-01-2013, 08:10 AM
I can stretch her entitlement so instead of 'free' hours only in term time she gets an average hours that covers term time and school holidays.

We are not allowed to do that in our area - please double check and make sure you have it in writing from your LA as Ive never heard of that before :thumbsup:

hectors house
28-01-2013, 08:15 AM
I had a meeting with my DO officer about applying to do funded places and I haven't got any details to quote from as am waiting for info pack to arrive, but she did say that hours can be taken over more than 38 weeks now - and don't have to just been term time - child has allocated amount of hours per year, as I was worried about taking my holidays during term time. May be different in different areas - my DO had a chart of how the hours can be taken.

FussyElmo
28-01-2013, 08:17 AM
We can stretch entitlement too :thumbsup:

loocyloo
28-01-2013, 08:28 AM
from april we will be able to stretch entitlement too in north yorkshire ... only for us it is 11hrs a week.

rather than using 15 hrs a week for 38 weeks, you add up all the 15hrs and then divide between the whole year!

x

moggy
28-01-2013, 09:32 AM

We can do stretched entitlement.

Your local authority/family info service can talk you though the maths- give them a ring if you are not sure about it. There are regional differences so best to get local advise rather than on here.

You can not charge a top up to make up for your loss on the free hours. So you charge £0 for the number of free entitlement hours per week the child is using with you and charge you usual rate for the remaining hours.

linzi133
28-01-2013, 02:13 PM
we are allowed to stretch the entitlement and I don't have a problem with those figures, its just working out how much to charge!
The child is with me 25 hours..using the stretched entitlement they would have to pay for 14.4 hours per week...which using my hourly fee would work out at £58 per week. (neg paying £48.25 during term time) Mum is only 'saving' £32 per week.

Because I have a daily rate it sort of makes things a little difficult! I guess I just expected to be able to save mum more money by taking the NEG with me!

moggy
28-01-2013, 02:21 PM
we are allowed to stretch the entitlement and I don't have a problem with those figures, its just working out how much to charge!
The child is with me 25 hours..using the stretched entitlement they would have to pay for 14.4 hours per week...which using my hourly fee would work out at £58 per week. (neg paying £48.25 during term time) Mum is only 'saving' £32 per week.

Because I have a daily rate it sort of makes things a little difficult! I guess I just expected to be able to save mum more money by taking the NEG with me!

Yes, it is not that much- even the full 15 hours a week stretched over 48 weeks a year x £3.75 which is what the local authority pay here = £44.50 per week saving, so if that is split across settings it is going to be even less saving with you.

Rubybubbles
28-01-2013, 02:29 PM
In hampshire we can offer stretched but we have to run it past out Network before offering. Maybe get hold of the people that support you and get their help. We were given a really helpful invoice set out for how to work out term time only which is much easier to understand because of how it shows the working out. Maybe they can do this for you?

linzi133
28-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Our LA don't really want to know. They've said it's up to me how I do it!

I rang my local sure start nursery and asked their advice and ran my figures past the manager. She seemed to think my figures were good and that their nursery makes all parents pay full during the hol.

Having a chat with the family tonight. To be honest I'm sure mum will be fine with whatever figures I give her..... I just expected a bigger saving!!

Tazmin68
28-01-2013, 08:13 PM
With my la the entitlement is 15 hours a week term time only and parents were aware of one fee amount during term time and a different fee for holidays. That works fine here. Fortunately we don't lose too much income as funded hours is currently £3.56 per hour and my fees are £3.50.