PDA

View Full Version : Ratio's

JenJen2007
27-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Can I have someone's advice please...

I have a two year old Daughter and I care for three year old twins from 12.00 until 17.30. I have been asked to look after a 7 month old, once a week from 9.30 to 13.30. So will have four children under five for one and a half hours (a small amount of this time will be travelling home from nursery pick up) once a week.

Am I allowed to do this????

Thank you!

Jen x

TAZ
27-01-2013, 10:24 PM
I think this is tricky because if you refer to the Ofsted guidelines then the answer would be 'No' however if this had been under the previous system of having to request a variation from Ofsted I think they may well have agreed to this.

Several options:
Do you have the twins every day? If not baby could start on a different day then later switch days & be covered under 'continuity of care'.
Could baby start 09.30 -12.00 a couple of days a week then after a while increase hours therefore again come under 'continuity of care'.
Is there someone else who would like to come round for lunch with you on a weekly basis & be responsible for your daughter (For half a term my son went to a friends house,once a week, for an hour after nursery school because otherwise I would have been over my numbers)

Loushah
27-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Can I have someone's advice please...

I have a two year old Daughter and I care for three year old twins from 12.00 until 17.30. I have been asked to look after a 7 month old, once a week from 9.30 to 13.30. So will have four children under five for one and a half hours (a small amount of this time will be travelling home from nursery pick up) once a week.

Am I allowed to do this????

Thank you!

Jen x

Even though it is just a small amount of time you are not allowed 4 children under 5 for new business.

Could you just have the 7 month old to 12:00 initially and then if a couple of months down the line the mother wants to extend her hours / days then a variation can be done to have 4 under 5 as it would be a continuation of the care you are already providing.

I'm sure someone will come along who knows more.

JenJen2007
27-01-2013, 10:34 PM
I have the twins every day and the Mum works until 1pm so 1.30 is the earliest she would be able to get to me! Agggghhhhh! Could the twins being siblings and my Daughter being one of my numbers be taken into account? x

Mouse
27-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Agggghhhhh! Would the twins being siblings and my Daughter being one of my numbers not be taken into account? x

You can look after 3 young children at any one time. One is your daughter, the other 2 are the twins.

Loushah
27-01-2013, 10:42 PM
I have the twins every day and the Mum works until 1pm so 1.30 is the earliest she would be able to get to me! Agggghhhhh! Would the twins being siblings and my Daughter being one of my numbers not be taken into account? x

Unfortunately, it doesn't. You still have 3 under 5. Could you do what Taz said and have somebody pop to your house from 12 - 13:30 to look after you daughter? just for a while then you could again make a variation after that period for 'continuation of care'

Gherkin
27-01-2013, 11:32 PM
As far as I was aware you are always to count yourself responsible for your own child, you cannot have someone else look after them so you can have other children. The rules are you cannot have a variation for new business. Personally I would not risk taking it on as it would be against the rules and if you got found out you will be subject to whatever course of action Ofsted decide to take.

Rick
28-01-2013, 07:57 AM
As far as I was aware you are always to count yourself responsible for your own child, you cannot have someone else look after them so you can have other children. The rules are you cannot have a variation for new business. Personally I would not risk taking it on as it would be against the rules and if you got found out you will be subject to whatever course of action Ofsted decide to take.

The only time you can take your own children out of the numbers is if it is guaranteed that the children will not be returned to you. I asked this question the other day. When my wife has our second child she will be on maternity leave. It is possible my 2 year old could stay with her during the day and he would be out of my numbers. Whether I would do it in a practical sense I'm not sure. Here is the thread, Sarah qualified about taking your own children out of your numbers:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/112585-pregnant-wife-ratios.html

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Paulab
28-01-2013, 11:50 PM
I asked this question to my do she didn't have a clue, so called Ofsted & yes if I can guarantee my dd 22 months will not be returned to me then she is not included im my numbers

She goes to grandparents on a Monday 9 till 3 until hubby comes home at 3 & they drop her back just after & then collect my twins & take them to their swimming lesson

They won't bring her back if poorly they deal with her & I don't even know about it till she's home, do have a little guilt trip then, but she's loves Grandad as much as me & asks for him when poorly with me lol,

I have 3 others under 4, but now have a assistant so all ok now as can have 4 under 5 with her

Hope this helps x