PDA

View Full Version : My first graded inspection - feedback

Shamai
27-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Hi I promised to provide feedback from my first graded inspection so here goes.

My inspector arrived and was very friendly and chatty - not how I imagined her to be. I made her a cuppa and introduced her to my mindee aged 2. She told me she was going to make notes on her laptop and I was just to carry on with my normal day and she would ask me questions now and again. I've tried listing in bullet points so it makes it easier to read.

1. She asked me about the different children I had on roll, their ages, dates of birth, what their interests were, what I've introduced to them to and what they've accomplished during their time with me. I had all this information in their Learning Journals but she didn't go through my paperwork until the last hour.

2. My mindee was playing with train set and then ask to go to playroom to choose something else. The inspector followed us out and looked at my posters, reading corner and resources. She looked in my garden to see what resources I had out there and asked what facilities I had for mark making outdoors. I said we use a bucket of water and large paintbrushes to paint on the patio, plus chalks and an easel for painting, drawing on. She noted all my play equipment and asked what adaptations I had made to the garden. I said I'd had some berry bushes removed, had some spiky trees cut down and had a brick wall reinforced, had a metal gate installed to prevent mindees going down the steps etc.

3. She was watching and listening to me and the mindee interacting without actually saying much, just taking notes. She later told me that I was constantly reinforcing the mindee's self esteem by praising and not correcting him. She said I also gave a running commentary of things I was doing which encouraged him to talk more. As we are potty training, she liked that he asked for a gold sticker to put on his chart for doing a wee on the toilet!

4. Safeguarding was a biggy - eg. how I keep all mindees safe on school run, do I have up to date safeguarding policy, are they all signed by parents. Again my risk assessments were in a folder but not looked at until the end. It was as if she wanted to make sure I was confident in my mind rather than having everything written down. I told her I do not do written risk assessments every time I leave the house but use them more as a checklist eg. for a trip to London I made mindees wear wristbands with my mobile number on, made sure my mobile phone was charged fully etc.

5. Working in partnership - another important area - she liked my correspondence with parents folder which includes 2 year check, their comments, questionnaires, that I emailed photographs plus how I work with the school for older mindees. I said I regularly speak to the teachers to see how I can support each child and also get a copy of termly project letters so I can work my activities around these.

6. She said my LJs were very thorough and lovely to read - I said I had done them thoroughly when I first started because its how I personally absorb information. She asked if I had got to grips with new EYFS since Sept 12 and I showed her my 7 EYFS info poster plus the different area examples (courtesy of Knutsford childminding) - and she liked that I referred to this.

7. Paperwork that she looked at was learning journals for each child, working in partnership folder, safeguarding folder, accident/incident/medication folder, attendance register and my welcome pack.

Hope that has helped someone, it was more relaxed than I imagined it to be which I think enabled me to act normally. It lasted 3.5 hours (9.30am-1.00pm).

Just wanted to say thank you to Sarah707 for her invaluable emails on here, e-books and blogs :clapping: and also to my mindee who was an absolute angel and definately helped me on the day :littleangel: bless him. (Even when he made me play hide and seek and chase him on my knees around living room :)

:waving:

Rick
27-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks very much for taking the time to do this! :clapping:

Rick
27-01-2013, 10:56 AM
There's actually nothing there that I don't do already so I feel much more confident now! :clapping:

Daisy De
27-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Sounds like it all went very well and thank you for sharing the information.:thumbsup:

halor
27-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Sounds like you had a great visit, congratulations! I'm only at the point of waiting for my pre reg visit and that has my tummy churning!
I'm probably being a dim wit but what's a working in partnership folder? Also, with your safeguarding what kinds if things do you have in there? Hope you don't mind me asking :-)

sarah707
27-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Whooooo! Congratulations :cheerleader::cheerleader:

Thank you for the lovely feedback for the forum as well I know it will benefit our members... and for the thanks :blush: I am so pleased I was able to support you.

Yay you! :clapping:

shortstuff
27-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Well done n thanks for the info. I will put it to good use when its my turn :-)

Shamai
27-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Sounds like you had a great visit, congratulations! I'm only at the point of waiting for my pre reg visit and that has my tummy churning!
I'm probably being a dim wit but what's a working in partnership folder? Also, with your safeguarding what kinds if things do you have in there? Hope you don't mind me asking :-)

Hi Halor - you're not being dim at all. My working in partnership folder basically shows evidence of working with parents - sharing learning journals with them and getting comments back, asking them to send me emails/photos of what they got up to at the weekend with their children, sending out questionnaires to see if they are happy with the service I provide or if there's anything I can improve upon, what their child's favourite meals are at home etc. My folder also shows how I work with any other settings eg. when one of my mindees first came to me from a nursery, I spoke to them and copied some pages from their observations to show the stage he was at when he arrived. I also speak to mindees' teachers/teaching assistants when I drop them off and check if there are any areas that I can help support them during their time with me eg. one needed help with recognising numbers so I played lots of counting games and made a Princess number chart for the wall so it linked in with her interests.

Safeguarding is evidence of how you keep the children in your care safe - risk assessments eg. for outings in the car/to the park/school run, safeguarding policy, my mobile phone/camera use, physical intervention form, fire and evacuation plan, fire drill log etc.

Hope that is OK for you. x

halor
27-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Thank you so much, that's really helped and given me some ideas :D

samb
27-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Thank you for writing this out for us - it is always helpful to hear about various inspections. Sounds like yours went really well - well done.

TAZ
27-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Thank you for all this info. It's very helpful.:)

Littleglees
29-01-2013, 08:34 PM
I have mine coming up, first one and I'm petrified :-( x

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

RuthJ
29-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Well done! :)

claireh4505
30-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks for sharing that, I feel slightly more confident now, mine hasn't been booked yet as only registered last month, but this is something for me to keep in mind when its my turn!

C

Ballette
31-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Well done on your inspection and thanks for the very thorough feedback. It's always helpful to hear how recent inspections have gone and what the inspectors are looking for :clapping:

sydney31
01-02-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm at the point of waiting for my pre reg visit im bricking it.i'm still trying to sort out polices .this site gives so much advice on all sorts of information its helped me so much over the last couple of days.Thank you to everyone on their advice.very much appericated

sydney31:clapping: .