PDA

View Full Version : Laminate flooring help needed

halor
26-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Hi all, I'm very much a newbie to the forum and hope you don't mind me asking for help so quickly

I'm in the process of registering (crb,health dec and references all received) and hoping to soon have my pre reg inspection. I have laminate flooring all downstairs and not sure if I need to do a policy.

Currently we don't remove our shoes straightaway as it's not something I worry about as I can clean the floor should anything be tramped in. I also don't insist that visitors remove theirs. My house is v.v.small so I don't have a rug down as it would swamp the place and I think should my kids fall over they can hurt themselves just as badly on carpet as they can on laminate.

Is this something ofsted will frown upon? Also do I need a policy? I'm thinking of getting some foam mats should I look after any babies/new walkers but to be totally honest I would rather not as I have to be a bit savvy with storage and space.

Any help would be much appreciated :-)

loocyloo
27-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Hello & welcome (I'd put a smiley face if I could work out how on my phone !)

I used to have laminate & currently have wood or tiled floor. I don't have a policy about it, never crossed my mind.
We do take our shoes off & wear slippers/indoor shoes, as keeps floor & furniture cleaner ! Plus with crawling babies around it is safer/cleaner. I do have some rugs, as prefer to sit on rug to play on floor! But only have foam mats for outside.

But what you do is totally up to you & how you do things :0)

RuthJ
27-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Hello:waving:

I also have laminate flooring. I've got a large rug and have other various play mats because I don't like sitting on a cold hard floor and found that since I've had the rugs i spend much longer on the floor with the children. I do insist that shoes are removed because although it's easier to clean laminate, it's not always practical to clean it straight away and with crawlers around I think it's much better to get into the habit of removing shoes indoors. It will also protect your furniture.

I am in Wales so I'm not sure if ofsted would expect a policy. I haven't done one though.

Hope that helps :)

shortstuff
27-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Hi, i have laminate all the way through downstairs also. I agree with the others. Shoes come off in the porch. It is much easier as sometimes you actually create a slip hazard while cleaning behind dirty feet. I also dont have a policy and as my pre reg only took place in november i think it would have been mentioned. Good luck with it all and dont apologise for asking thats what this forum is great for :-)

halor
27-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks everyone, I think taking shoes off is a good idea. Was thinking I might get a selection of slipper socks for the children in my care and possibly ask the parents to provide slippers for them.

RuthJ
27-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks everyone, I think taking shoes off is a good idea. Was thinking I might get a selection of slipper socks for the children in my care and possibly ask the parents to provide slippers for them.

:thumbsup: good idea.

Jo1988
28-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Hi,

I have just had my pre-reg this morning.....she didn't even mention my wood flooring......I have a plastic bucket by the front door where shoes will come off and one by the back door for wellies etc.....inside I'm going to get children to wear slippers provided by parents! My own one year old is just learning to walk and he either needs to be in slippers, shoes or bare feet or he just slips all over the place...xxx