PDA

View Full Version : first child

donna c
26-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Once you was set up with ofsted how long was it till you got first child,

:blush:

Rick
27-01-2013, 10:22 AM
It took me about 2 months, but I was lucky as the sisters mum is my wife's friend. My first 'proper' mindee took about 3 months from registration. I think there were several reasons why it took a while. I am a male childminder working independently so I had to work harder than most. Also on the run up to Christmas there was little around, straight after I had a few calls. There are also a few childminders where I live.

Don't be despondent if you don't get a mindee straight away. As I say I had to work hard to get noticed. I went to toddler groups, wrote on local parents websites and wrote an article.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

RuthJ
27-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Took me about 6 weeks from being registered. Got my first from childcare.co.uk :)

willow2806
27-01-2013, 10:41 AM
It took me a few month before I got my first child but that was 7 year ago. Things are much easier now with access to child care vacancy websites.
Have you got any of your own children at pre-school age as a good way of getting work is by attending toddler groups and get chatting to people in your local area. I've got a friend who registered last year and she has had more enquiries for work than i've had in 2 years. I think it depends on the area you live in, she lives near a school with 2 classes for each year and i live in a village with a high amount of stay and home mums/dads and retired grandparents. Get to know your local community really helps I think. Good luck.

shortstuff
27-01-2013, 10:45 AM
I have been very lucky i get on realky well with other cm's in my local area who are full. They were passing my details out when they got enquiries they couldnt help so i was working within two weeks. Good luck and i hope it goes smoothly :-)

Rick
27-01-2013, 10:49 AM
I have been very lucky i get on realky well with other cm's in my local area who are full. They were passing my details out when they got enquiries they couldnt help so i was working within two weeks. Good luck and i hope it goes smoothly :-)

Yes I've had similar but it took me a few weeks to pluck up the courage to go to our CM group as I had no mindees, but you can go along if registered.

Tazmin68
27-01-2013, 12:24 PM
It took two weeks to get my first mindees who were siblings. I had them for 5 years and they left when the younger one started senior school.

harleyrider
27-01-2013, 07:33 PM
I had my 1st already lined up (friend's lo) then another 7mths past until signed my 2nd (another friend's lo) and it was another 3months after that that I signed my 1st 'real' family up. So apart from friends it was 10months.

TAZ
27-01-2013, 11:38 PM
I had a couple lined up prior to registering, but I'd known them for a long time through toddler group / school. Due to my own 3 children & still out at work 3 days a week I was quite limited on numbers and happy to have children for just a few hours as was just childminding 'on my days off' alongside my own children. At the time I didn't see it as a business.