PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever lost mindees due to increasing fees.

nipper
26-01-2013, 08:10 AM
I've been thinking about putting my fees up by 20p p.h (gosh) and was just thinking how many parents I might lose because of this if at all. That's me the eternal pessimist.

I was wondering how many of you lovely ladies have ever mysteriously lost families when you have increased your fees. What reasons did parents cite?

Rick
26-01-2013, 08:20 AM
I've been thinking about putting my fees up by 20p p.h (gosh) and was just thinking how many parents I might lose because of this if at all. That's me the eternal pessimist.

I was wondering how many of you lovely ladies have ever mysteriously lost families when you have increased your fees. What reasons did parents cite?

Well I haven't put them up but I have put them down to try and get my first mindee. I don't think my parent could afford it if I raised it back to normal rate so I am happy to keep it as it is for now, I don't want to risk losing them as they take up half my places!

I think if the parents are happy with the service you provide then they will swallow the rise for fear of unsettling their children.

P.s. never been called a lovely lady before! :ROFL1:

balijay
26-01-2013, 08:29 AM
I would be interested to know too. I really need to put my prices up this year, probably in Sept, I have been the same price for 3 years and will (hopefully!) have finished my level 3 by then. I am also the cheapest in my area so it's time for a 20-30p an hour increase whether my parents like it or not :laughing:

FussyElmo
26-01-2013, 08:37 AM
20p doesnt sound a lot even for a child if they did 50 hours its £10 a week :thumbsup:

jadavi
26-01-2013, 08:43 AM
I have never heard of anyone cancelling due to pay rise. After all the settling in of their child - its not something anyone would do lightly
I put my fees up by 50p a year ago and no one mentioned it. I prepared them by announcing it in a newsletter well in advance and started it at a beginning of term.
I also cited the national average (£4.75 then) which I came below so they'd feel they were getting an ok deal.

Porridge
26-01-2013, 09:19 AM
I did lose an after schoolie due to price rise. She started off 4 days a week before and after, & was only the 3rd child i took on. She gradually reduced her hours and ended up with 2 after school sessions at £8 per session. New kids were paying £15+ & i was full. It was had work having her for what i didn't feel was a fair rate. I put her rate up to £12 per session after 2 years, so she left to go to after school club (£10). It was fine actually, most of my kids were much younger and i could totally see why. I filled the space quickly with full paying child. Everyone happy :-). I now feel so much happier knowing i get going rate, & in return the families get total devotion from me!!!

nipper
26-01-2013, 09:33 AM
P.s. never been called a lovely lady before! :ROFL1:

And gents! Sorry Rick!

AliceK
26-01-2013, 01:59 PM
I have only ever put my prices up for new customers. The ones that have been with me since the start are still paying the same as they did back then, the newer ones pay a bit more. I've always thought that with everyone struggling financially at the moment if I put my fees up it might be "the straw that broke the camels back" so to speak for some of my parents.

xxx

Tazmin68
26-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Not to increased fees but when tax credits have been cut I lost children then. My fees are below others in area and I have decided to leave them as they are for current contracts but anything new I will charge higher rate of £3.50 per hour. Come September I will increase fees for current children.

Bennie
26-01-2013, 07:13 PM

I put my fees up after a year by 25p which made me 50£ a month better off and parents didn't bat an eyelid. I listed reasons as cost of living, rising energy prices, and local rates. I did know that everyone else in my area was charging more than me. He they are happy with you they will not unsettle children for such a small amount of money. If I had put my rates the same as everyone else in the village it would have been a 50p rise meaning 100£ for them.

watgem
27-01-2013, 10:42 AM
I like Tazmin lost 2 children due to cuts in tax credits, and also one child whose parent didn't want to pay full fees for a 3 month holiday, which in hindsight I wish I'd accepted half fee, but at the time I just couldn't afford to. I too keep existing parents on the same rate and put it up a bit for newbies.