PDA

View Full Version : Do you only mind certain ages?

sprinkles
25-01-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm just wondering how many of you only mind children of a certain age? I see some of you only mind under 5s. Do any of you not do schoolies?

I'm considering only doing under 5s with no schoolies but would be willing to have them during holidays? Sounds awful but I prefer looking after younger children and am not sure I could be bothered lugging them about to school runs etc. I wouldn't mind having older children if it was for a block period throughout the day and not just an hour or so then having to take them to school and go pick them up after for another hour or so.

TAZ
25-01-2013, 11:24 PM
If you say you're not available for school runs then this should be ok. You run your own business & can specify what you are / are not prepared to do. :)

pinky33
26-01-2013, 12:19 AM
We care for under 3's only.

Mandysminis
26-01-2013, 07:32 AM
I only mind under 5's, as my own 3 are grown up I really don't want to do a school run anymore. It's my choice, my business. I have 5 granddaughters so will probably, in time do a school run for them .

Rick
26-01-2013, 08:10 AM
I originally set out to do after school pick ups from one of two schools (whichever came up first) but in truth it would be a pain having to get children ready and walk there (don't have a car). Except for my nearly 3 year old, my mindees all sleep in the afternoon and I don't want to wake them or stop an activity etc.

Never actually had an enquiry about after school anyway. :laughing:

balijay
26-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Yes I only mind under 5s, although I do still take and pick up my own older children from school (don't need to get out of the car for them though). I am full every day with little ones - having before and after schoolies as well would tip me over the edge - I am full of admiration for those of you that do it!

FussyElmo
26-01-2013, 08:33 AM
I have to do the school run so its not an issue for me.

But I dont think I could have given my midee notice just because she has gone to school. Been with me way to long :thumbsup:

freckleonear
26-01-2013, 10:12 AM
I only take early years children or home educated children. My own children are home educated so I feel that being tied down to a school run would be too limiting. Plus I'm doing an early years degree, so it makes sense to focus on that age group anyway.

smurfette
26-01-2013, 10:24 AM
I have one After schoolie and the rest are under 4s, I have my own three in school so didn't think one more schoolie would make a difference,, he is a nice kid and my girls get on well with him, but somehow he upsets the balance., he is an only child and used to a lot of adult attention which I simply can't give him. I feel like my work day is almost done when he is gone! The hols
Were crazy, he is too energetic and has no concept of keeping the noise down while the Littlies are sleeping and won't settle to do something quiet unless its a video game and even then he ends up messing! I am gradually training him in but he is only here until may and I won't have him back in sept by choice

Daisy De
26-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Although I have had lots of school children in the past I am now minding under 5s only, not necessarily by choice just the way it has worked out.

I like not having the school run especially in bad weather but I do miss doing activities or playing board games with the older ones. I obviously do these things with the little ones but its different with different ages.

Maza
26-01-2013, 10:42 AM
I didn't want to do before/after schoolers when DD was little but now she is in nursery I am thinking of doing older ones so that she has someone to play with as she doesn't particularly enjoy babies being here. It is totally up to you. x

jillplum
26-01-2013, 02:11 PM
I mind all ages as most children start with me when they are babies and then I do nursery runs for them then school runs and finally they arrive independantly from the Comprehensive school. I like all ages from the tiny babies to the teenagers.

scottishlass
26-01-2013, 07:45 PM
I have to do the school run for my own 2 girls but do prefer just having the little ones through the day. I have one other schoolie one day a week as her little brother comes but that is all. At my girls school the after school club is full and I get loads of enquiries for school kids but could only do the 1 anyway as have my own 2 school age kids and were I am the school kids count in your 6 places.

Toothfairy
26-01-2013, 07:50 PM
At the moment I have before and after schoolers as well as under 5's but the older ones are all due to leave for secondary school in September. When they leave, I won't be replacing them, leaving me with just the under 5's.
So not school runs for me come September yippee :thumbsup:

Tazmin68
26-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Hi

I do have one before school and two after schools but I do have to go to school any way as I have two children myself at school. I have one child aged three who I have after nursery school from lunch time five days, another 1 year old who I have from 11-3.30 so I do not have him on the school run and another three days a week 9.15-2.15 so again this child is not with me when I do school runs. While one of mine is still at school I don't have a problem with school aged children and as my own youngest is in reception I will be fine with that for a few years yet.

Tazmin68
26-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Hi

I do have one before school and two after schools but I do have to go to school any way as I have two children myself at school. I have one child aged three who I have after nursery school from lunch time five days, another 1 year old who I have from 11-3.30 so I do not have him on the school run and another three days a week 9.15-2.15 so again this child is not with me when I do school runs. While one of mine is still at school I don't have a problem with school aged children and as my own youngest is in reception I will be fine with that for a few years yet.

Oh and all of my mindees are term time only. I have two older children 6&10 who attend school holidays only which suits me great as it enables me to spend quality time with my two boys without having little about.

cathtee
26-01-2013, 08:22 PM
All of my mindees start as babies (3m) and go through nursery and infant then juniors so always have school runs, do have some at
senior school but only come in the holidays.

loocyloo
26-01-2013, 08:25 PM
i have had a year with mainly just 2 yr olds and it has been fantastic :clapping: however, i now have 2 schoolies ( doing school run for my own children anyway ) and have a mix of 13mth - 40mth mindees!

schoolies don't come in the holidays, and i am going to try to keep it that way! my own children are good with having the LO around, and we do things that we can all do. oh just thought, i do have a schoolie in the holidays, but one day only and i mind a younger sibling! this schoolie is great and i keep the day these 2 mindees come, to pretty much them and my children as, as a 4some they are great together and we have such adventures :clapping:

i do like having the older ones around, but find the LO easier!

Loushah
27-01-2013, 12:38 AM
We care for under 3's only.

I would love to do this....I much prefer the little ones (a lot less cheek)

mandy moo
27-01-2013, 08:50 AM
I mind after schoolers only, youngest is 6, eldest is almost 11, prefer them to be honest,
I also work in our village Pre School, I think I have the right balance for me.

bunyip
27-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Until this month I was doing U-5's only plus some ad hoc. Now I have my first regular schoolie.

I enjoy the variety and the different mix of children. Although the schoolie makes my day longer, it doesn't feel like it cos we do different activities and games, which stops me feeling jaded. For me, it just takes a little more organising, that's all.

It's really up to you how you decide to run your business. However, you do need to think ahead and be honest with the parents. The continuity is very important to many parents, and the child probably doesn't need the upheaval of needing to settle with a new CM simultaneously with the shock of starting school. This could cost you some potential clients. OTOH it would be worse if you didn't tell them what's on your mind from the start. The last thing you need is a disgruntled parent telling everyone their CM has let them down because they were expecting continuity and found out too late that it wasn't going to be there.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of moving on to do schoolies once your little-ies reach school age. You may find you feel very differently about it then.:)