View Full Version : ofsted answer to transporting children question

25-01-2013, 04:38 PM
I thought some of you may be interested in the response I had from ofsted when I asked if I could take the minded children in my friends car (she is not a CM) on outings, with me present. xx

In response to your enquiry there are no specific legal requirements for transporting children by minibus or other vehicles however there are some requirements on both the Early Years and Childcare Registers that providers would have to take into account.

The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) includes requirements relating to suitability and safety such as:

Carrying out appropriate checks, which include a CRB check on any person with unsupervised access to children.
Ensuring that anyone who has not been appropriately checked does not have unsupervised access to children.
Making a robust risk assessment associated with the trip to and from the setting
Making sure required ratios are in place if the care of the children begins when they are collected.
Complying with any additional legislation such as the Road Safety Act.
Making sure that children receive sufficient support and care to meet their individual needs

Providers must meet these requirements to ensure they continue to meet the needs of children safely and sensitively, and comply with the requirements of the EYFS.

Specifically for outings:

Children must be kept safe while on outings, and providers must obtain written parental permission for children to take part in outings. Providers must assess the risks or hazards which may arise for the children, and must identify the steps to be taken to remove, minimise and manage those risks and hazards. The assessment must include consideration of adult to child ratios. The risk assessment does not necessarily need to be in writing; this is for providers to judge.

Vehicles in which children are being transported, and the driver of those vehicles, must be adequately insured.

I hope you find this information helpful

25-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Hummm , never do give a straight answer do they !

25-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

25-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks for sharing, a long answer to such a simple question.

25-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Thank you for sharing xx

25-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks for that.

25-01-2013, 11:28 PM
So is that a yes ??

25-01-2013, 11:39 PM
So is that a yes ??

Sounds like a 'yes' to me!! :laughing:

26-01-2013, 01:34 PM
The only thing I would check is your friends car insurance. They may class a trip with you as a business trip because you are paid to look after the children in your care and her standard insurance may not cover this.

26-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks. I'm taking it as a yes! My friend did ask her insurers and they said she would be covered on her insurance as it is fully comprehensive. I don't think anyone is really sure what they are saying is right though xx