PDA

View Full Version : Messy play tables

sineadquinn
24-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering what everyone uses for there messy play I have seen the 'proper' tables the black hexagon shaped ones which remove from legs but can't seem to find them anywhere. Also I imagine there quite expensive and as just starting up thinking I can use something else for now.

AgentTink
25-01-2013, 02:32 AM
The black trays you have seen are actually just builders mixing trays, also called tuff spots. I got mine from b&q for £18. The legs can be bought seperatly from online nursery suppliers but I haven't got them as the tray is fine on the floor particularly for babies who can't stand.

Before I bought the tray I used to use plastic under the bed boxes which also did the trick.

lynncjt
25-01-2013, 07:43 AM
I'm still using a large under bed storage box, I like the fact I can leave stuff in it and put a lid on! I have one for inside use and one for in the garden.

JulieA
25-01-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm still using a large under bed storage box, I like the fact I can leave stuff in it and put a lid on! I have one for inside use and one for in the garden.

This is what i do too. Particularly like the fact that it has a hard lid and can be left and transported easily too. And can store it under the sideboard when not in use.

Rick
25-01-2013, 12:30 PM
The black trays you have seen are actually just builders mixing trays, also called tuff spots. I got mine from b&q for £18. The legs can be bought seperatly from online nursery suppliers but I haven't got them as the tray is fine on the floor particularly for babies who can't stand.

Before I bought the tray I used to use plastic under the bed boxes which also did the trick.

Yep this is what I use too (mixing trays). I spotted our toddler group using them and thought they were just the job. As you say, accessible for all ages and quite big so they can get right in and sit in it if they wish! :thumbsup:

The Juggler
25-01-2013, 01:34 PM
outside i have a permanent sand pit and water tray then an empty table for other stuff.

indoor messy play gets done on my kitchen table and cleaned up after

WibbleWobble
25-01-2013, 02:40 PM
i have a tuff spot.

We have been using it today with 3yr old, 27month old and 8 month old and lots of coloured rice (un cooked)

baby got right in, lay down and waved his hands and legs about - he made his own rice angel!

wibble x

Angela234
25-01-2013, 03:34 PM
We use tuff spot tray (resently brought)or builder style tray (what we used to use) for messy play like rice cornflakes, shredded paper, soil, jelli baff,water/sand or evan paper and pencils/crayons. This usualy goes on the floor.
We have a sand and water table outside as well.
For painting /play dough/ sticking we use a table

watgem
26-01-2013, 11:46 AM
I got some square gardening trays from amazon for indoors as I found the tuffspots too big for my living room, think they were about 7.99, but I like the idea of an underbed box with a lid:)

LinziH
26-01-2013, 07:48 PM
I use either an underbed storage box or a circle shaped sledge thingy depending on what materials I am using and age of the children. The sledge is a lot smaller sides so its easier for babies to reach into, however because of the low sides its rubbish for water etc xx

lynncjt
26-01-2013, 08:37 PM
I use either an underbed storage box or a circle shaped sledge thingy depending on what materials I am using and age of the children. The sledge is a lot smaller sides so its easier for babies to reach into, however because of the low sides its rubbish for water etc xx

Love the idea of the round sledge! Will have to try that.

halor
26-01-2013, 09:26 PM
We use tuff spot tray (resently brought)or builder style tray (what we used to use) for messy play like rice cornflakes, shredded paper, soil, jelli baff,water/sand or evan paper and pencils/crayons. This usualy goes on the floor.
We have a sand and water table outside as well.
For painting /play dough/ sticking we use a table

Have you found the tuff spot tray to be much different from the builders tray. I'm yet to buy one and want to know if its worth paying the extra for. Tuff spot :-)

sineadquinn
31-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Thank you all :-) had a look and think I'm going to go for the tuff spot as found one for about £17.

jadavi
31-01-2013, 11:15 PM
I also use regular sand and water tables for my gunge and messy play. I stand these on the builders trays to catch the spills

TAZ
31-01-2013, 11:22 PM
I got one of these 'tuff spot trays' with my Tesco school vouchers last year! :thumbsup:

migimoo
01-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Builders mixing trays from eBay £6.60 each...hubby collected them for me in his van and we use them all the time.