PDA

View Full Version : Charity shop bargains

greanan
24-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Handed a few bags of old toys into the local charity shop today. First time I've ever been in one and managed to pick up a vetch funfair ball pop thing for £1.50 :-) need to have a look for the balls to go in it but pretty chuffed with it!! What's your best charity shop bargain?

hectors house
24-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Childminding wise I couldn't choose as I get a bargain nearly every week - my husband says he is going to take my photo to the charity shops in town and tell them not to sell me anything else.

For me, I was looking for an outfit for a 90's fancy dress party but instead spotted a Phase Eight dress, in size 10, in my favourite colours - pinks and purples and they clearly didn't know what Phase Eight is as the dress was £6!! I paid over £100 for the dress I wore to my daughter's wedding last year, going to save this new dress for a nephews wedding in the summer.

jadavi
24-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Haha laughing out loud about the photo!

greanan
24-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Lol, charity shops may now be filed with walls full of childminders faces!!

miffy
24-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Haha laughing out loud about the photo!

And me!

Mustn't let hubby see this, it might give him an idea :laughing:

Miffy xx

MessybutHappy
24-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Browsing time!! My OH hates charity shops so I'm always allowed to go on my own...bliss!

I find loads of bargains - mini beasts, washable dolls and duplo recently!

samb
24-01-2013, 10:57 PM
At the end of last year I bought a lovely "We're going on a bear hunt" pack - it was new and sealed and had a DVD, hardback book and board game in a gift box. It was £4. I had been looking at buying the book on it's own for more than that!

I also bought my son an England football top for £2 that he wears to his football club!

I bought a Junior scrabble for 75p! Oh and I love this little wooden man I bought for 50p that has sort of blocks that make up his body with elastic holding it together that you can bend the blocks aroun to change his position for example so he sits down or puts his arm out etc. Lovely.

Now I want to go to the charity shops lol!

lynncjt
25-01-2013, 07:48 AM
I think my best buy so far has to be a Cozy Coupe (pink) for £3.00 and a ELC backboard/whiteboard easel for £2.50. So glad I went on a Saturday so I had space in the car! Would have been gutted to have to leave those behind!

Also got a lot of little people stuff for £10.

jadavi
25-01-2013, 08:05 AM
So many! Two days ago I got a funny carriage with nests on that turn as you roll it and about 30 really tiny fluffy animals that go in the nests and on the carriage. No idea what it is but the kids are fighting over it :)

hectors house
25-01-2013, 09:05 AM
I also look at the bric a brac section for interesting things for treasure baskets - got small pair of wooden clogs, carved wooden elephants, wooden bangles, lavender bags, springy egg cups, interesting fabrics

I often buy things in charity shops to be our outdoor toys and then when they get left out in the rain I don't mind, bought 2 boxes of brand new jenga type blocks for £4 a box to add to outdoor construction box, bought the boys action men that can be played with in mud, gravel or sand, and cheap books for 10p each that they can have in a box in the tent.

My husband now says he is going to introduce a one toy in, one toy out rule and it's just as well he didn't know that Barnado's were offering Argos vouchers before Xmas if you donated toys as I may have come home and found my playroom empty!

RuthJ
25-01-2013, 09:22 AM
I love charity shop bargains but don't seem to get the time to go these days. Must make more of an effort. Your dress was a bargain!

dette
25-01-2013, 09:26 AM
i got an old barbie wardrobe with little hangers and spaces for shoes for a pound..my little neice got one for xmas it was over 30 and wasnt half as well made.and i got a scramble game ,like perfection where you have to match the shapes before the timer pops out ,this is a 2 player version ,cost a pound and they all love it

greanan
25-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Mindee loved the charity shop when we went in, loved rummaging about in the box of toys :-)

lozzy23
25-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Have a bought puzzles, books, fabrics and spare clothes/wellies etc. My favourite purchase would have to be a little Thomas the Tank Engine pull along suitcase, all the children love it and they have been on soooo many lovely 'holidays'!!

kel1983
25-01-2013, 01:43 PM
We are addicted to chariy shops here. :blush:

Went in a couple ths morning as we passed. 2 children we had with us helped choose a few new toys. They loved it.

Best bargains are huge box of lego for £10. Was about £50 worth in there. Sylvanian stables for £2 barbie and ken from toy stroy £2 and various happy land bits very very cheap. I also buy lots from local facebook sale pages.

lisa1968
25-01-2013, 01:59 PM
... a brown handbag.....that had £150 hidden in an inside pocket!......i rifle through every bag in charity shops now!!

greanan
25-01-2013, 04:43 PM
... a brown handbag.....that had £150 hidden in an inside pocket!......i rifle through every bag in charity shops now!!

Oh wow!! Think I'll need to make a trip to charity shop on a regular basis to check their bags!!

SandCastles
25-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Handed a few bags of old toys into the local charity shop today. First time I've ever been in one and managed to pick up a vetch funfair ball pop thing for £1.50 :-) need to have a look for the balls to go in it but pretty chuffed with it!! What's your best charity shop bargain?

My friend has a ball pop thing, it has a little door near the bottom and the balls pop in there for storage, does yours have something similar?

wellybelly
25-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Love love love charity shop bargains... I got We're Going on a Bear Hunt, Owl Babies and Brown Bear Brown Bear for 10p each!

McKenzie
26-01-2013, 12:06 AM
I haven't even started yet and my toy cupboard is full of charity shop bargains, lost track, I really shouldn't go in! But find it hard not to justify when it's a bargain! Got a family of potato heads £1.50, so many books, a Doctors set for £1.20....the list goes on :)

greanan
26-01-2013, 09:28 AM
My friend has a ball pop thing, it has a little door near the bottom and the balls pop in there for storage, does yours have something similar?

Yeah sounds like the same thing. Has a slide sort if thing in one side and part that goes round on the other side if that makes any sense atal?!

watgem
26-01-2013, 11:34 AM
me and a mindee picked up a fab mini that was huge, when we got it home we heard rattling, and thought it was broken, but after some fiddling we found it opened up and it had 4 little race cars inside and was a micro machines toy, cost me !.50:)

nipper
26-01-2013, 11:51 AM
That's me off to my local charity shop this afternoon!

loocyloo
26-01-2013, 01:33 PM
the lady that runs the local charity shop saves me things she thinks i will like and then lets me know when i am passing! :D

she also saves me particular things i am after, like i wanted some trays/old bowls/cutlery etc for the mud kitchen :D

i do however need to go to a local town which has LOTS of charity shops for a good rummage! :D

doris127
26-01-2013, 07:23 PM
I buy lots of books and toys from charity shops. My friend's mum works in a wee local one and is fab. If I'm looking for anything in particular she'll keep an eye out and drops stuff round that she thinks I might like.
She also knows mine and my children's sizes and our favourite brands. My favourite bargain ever was a brand new Boden coat that I kept looking at in the catalogue but no way would I pay £120 for it. I came home from school run one morning to find a plastic bag on my door handle - exact coat - right colour and size, label still attached - £7.50!

harleyrider
26-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Some fab bargains to be found in charity shops. I also love carboot rumages :-)

Littleglees
27-01-2013, 07:16 AM
I got an elc brand new tool set box and doctor set box from our local charity shop £5 for both, we have two shops in our village and a charity book shop which I look in weekly :-) once the summer comes I will be rummaging through the car boots for outdoor toys x

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

RuthJ
27-01-2013, 01:16 PM

Wow! That's the kind of thing that would never happen to me!

migimoo
27-01-2013, 02:24 PM
You are all bad,bad influences...now you've given me somewhere else to buy stuff from then desperately try to find a space for it before DH spots it:laughing:

Samcat
27-01-2013, 04:01 PM
You are all bad,bad influences...now you've given me somewhere else to buy stuff from then desperately try to find a space for it before DH spots it:laughing:

I agree, I hadn't been in a charity shop since before Christmas - until I started reading this thread. Bought 2 BNIP gardening suits (all in ones) 99p each, but went through the till at half price!

samb
27-01-2013, 08:32 PM
I went charity shopping yesterday. I bought 6 different bangles which came to £1.97! My new little one is 11 months and loves hoop type of things and so I am making a circular things box for him to explore - they were lovely - a fat gold one with Claire's accessories tag still on, a natural plain wooden one but flat, another more rounded edged plain wood, a carved into wooden one and 2 wooden beaded one with chunky beads another with smaller beads. I have also put in the box (which is a round tin) a finished selotape roll and my plastic links. I am planning to add thing that he can put them onto once he has explored them like that. It is great to find things like that in a charity shop.

SandCastles
27-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Going to visit my local ones in the morning, as I will be passing anyways and am taking my single buggy with me as i find the double buggy is too restricted as I have to park near the door and leave them while I go to the toys and book nearer the back, which I do not like doing as I cannot see them properly (but the double comes in handy for storage once I have bought stuff)
I shall report back any good bargains!

greanan
27-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Going to visit my local ones in the morning, as I will be passing anyways and am taking my single buggy with me as i find the double buggy is too restricted as I have to park near the door and leave them while I go to the toys and book nearer the back, which I do not like doing as I cannot see them properly (but the double comes in handy for storage once I have bought stuff)
I shall report back any good bargains!

Me too, just sorted another bag of books to go in the morning. I'm sure we'll come back with more than we take lol!!

TAZ
27-01-2013, 11:17 PM
love charity shops, school fairs are also great for toys & books. Just don't have enough room... Planning permission request in for extension ! :laughing:

dette
28-01-2013, 01:15 PM
well ...inspired by this thread ,as ive had a day off due to children swapping days today ive just got back from the charity shops,in one i got battleships for 99p a set of board books all about saying sorry ,thank you etc for 50 p,a night garden spot the difference game for 79p,a massive set of glow in the dark magnetix for my schoolies for 1.50 ,a shape sorter for 39p and a musical toy that has no off button and has been playing constantly all the way round the shops for 99p then another shop where i got a full doctors case for 99p then a 3rd shop where i got a brand new cleaning trolly with mini mop and brushes etc for £4 and a lovely in new condtition muti position bouncy chair with a toy bar on it for £4 as i have a new tiny baby starting in a few weeks ....so for just over £14 i came home with a bag hanging off each finger like buckaroo :) now all i have to do is work out how to shut that musical toy up or i can see another trip to the charity shop coming up to redonate :)
The future of charity shops has never looked so bright :clapping:

Rubybubbles
28-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Yup love them although

Buggsiemoo is worst than me :p

Last week I did really well and got a mamas and papas double pram(kids) and elc table and chairs(worth £50 online ***!!)

I saw the pram and said to Buggs do you have any money I NEED that pram lol!!

dette
28-01-2013, 03:42 PM
well ...inspired by this thread ,as ive had a day off due to children swapping days today ive just got back from the charity shops,in one i got battleships for 99p a set of board books all about saying sorry ,thank you etc for 50 p,a night garden spot the difference game for 79p,a massive set of glow in the dark magnetix for my schoolies for 1.50 ,a shape sorter for 39p and a musical toy that has no off button and has been playing constantly all the way round the shops for 99p then another shop where i got a full doctors case for 99p then a 3rd shop where i got a brand new cleaning trolly with mini mop and brushes etc for £4 and a lovely in new condtition muti position bouncy chair with a toy bar on it for £4 as i have a new tiny baby starting in a few weeks ....so for just over £14 i came home with a bag hanging off each finger like buckaroo :) now all i have to do is work out how to shut that musical toy up or i can see another trip to the charity shop coming up to redonate :)
The future of charity shops has never looked so bright :clapping:

ive just googled the chair that i bought today so i could make sure i was working it properly.mamas and papas millie and boris and it retails new at £68 ...not bad for £4 :)

thills
28-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Wow your charity shops must be nicer than the ones where I live! Everything is always so expensive in my area. Haven't found any bargains, but have found some off Facebook groups :)

SandCastles
28-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Well I've been to my local charity shops and got
Percy the Park Keeper Book 60p (4 stories in one book)
Twister Moves for £1 (the dance mats can double as painting and messy play mats, and the 2xCD's work)
Operation brain surgery game for £1 (Never seen this game before but it looks like a fun matching game)

Update
I had 3 after schoolers this evening,
Operation Brain Surgery, I printed off the instructions from a google search and they all loved playing this and making up their own game
Twister Moves, it looks like I was the only one playing this, the rest just watched and laughed.