PDA

View Full Version : The shrieking is doing my head in!!!

smurfette
23-01-2013, 08:30 PM
I look after one of my mindees little sister part time .. She is 10 months old. Very cute and very bright but has this constant high pitched shriek to get attention.. Today it drove us all mad and the older ones were trying to get their homework done

I spoke to mum about it who says it is her communicating she is tired, hungry etc which in one way is fair enough as she can't yet talk but on the other hand surely it is feeding it if every time she shrieks she gets something? I tried ah ah , no today but no effect

Please help can't live with the headaches much more!!!!

RuthJ
23-01-2013, 08:41 PM
I had a shrieker! It's awful, went right through me! It did get better a few months back, but has now turned into growling which is just as bad but at least it's given my eardrums a chance to recover!

TAZ
23-01-2013, 09:07 PM
I look after one of my mindees little sister part time .. She is 10 months old. Very cute and very bright but has this constant high pitched shriek to get attention.. Today it drove us all mad and the older ones were trying to get their homework done

I spoke to mum about it who says it is her communicating she is tired, hungry etc which in one way is fair enough as she can't yet talk but on the other hand surely it is feeding it if every time she shrieks she gets something? I tried ah ah , no today but no effect

Please help can't live with the headaches much more!!!!

I would go with a very firm 'No'.
Have you tried any baby signing? If it's a communication issue then this could really help. Could do with this with all the kids & make it a fun game, but particularly with older sibling & let Mum know what signs you've been doing.:)

smurfette
23-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks for replies .. Would I get some baby signs online for the basic words? Great idea!!

The Juggler
23-01-2013, 10:32 PM
i had/have a LO who was a screamer and took ages to settle. still now her preferred method of communicating is still shouting or screaming before using her words but it's getting better.

when she was very little very basic baby signing did help - just please, thank you, milk, more, up - really does help :thumbsup:

MessybutHappy
23-01-2013, 10:41 PM
I found a fab board book in the library with simple baby signs in because one of mine signs so I needed to find out how to and a baby book seemed about my level! I also ask for (whilst modelling!) "quiet, indoor voices, please"... its taken a while, but the idea seems, finally, to be catching on!