PDA

View Full Version : New Childminder, best resources?

squeely wheely
23-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Hi!

I'm a new childminder, still trying to bag my first child as it were. I'm still trying to finalise everything and I'm concerned that when parents come over I dont have enough resources. What did you have or could you recommend I get to show to parents I know what I'm doing :p I mainly want to look after 1-3 year olds and already have Books, Puzzles, transport vehicles, role play till and plastic food, musical instruments and baby toys. In the garden I have a sand and water pit and I'm about to get a little play house.

Any advice would be great! Thanks! :thumbsup:

blue bear
23-01-2013, 08:23 PM
When parents first come to visit with little ones the things they most comment on are the dressing up, art table and play kitchen. To be honest until you get children it's hard to know what to get.

helena_j
23-01-2013, 08:28 PM
I agree hard to know till the children start and you can buy for their interests. Mine love dress up, playhouses, farm set, train set, kitchen play food, puzzles, books 3 year old love games you can play now like dominos, games taking turns etc also have playdough and messy activities planned out and bake once a week normally.

mum24
23-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Yes, I agree with Blue Bear, it is difficult to know before hand. You sound as if you have enough variety to keep any little one happy until you find out their particular likes and dislikes. They all tend to love sand, and a little play house will always be well used.
I think as long as you can let parents know that you are willing to tailor your resources to their little ones preferences that will be enough. You really dont want to be spending too much money before you start earning. Just relax, many parents will go by how they get on with the childminder, and you sound very friendly and caring so don't worry too much.
Good luck, I hope you get some soon.

Marshmallow
23-01-2013, 08:33 PM
:clapping: We all started somewhere and we are all still learning ! Be yourself, be honest they know your new :thumbsup:

:D Good luck :D

Hi!

I'm a new childminder, still trying to bag my first child as it were. I'm still trying to finalise everything and I'm concerned that when parents come over I dont have enough resources. What did you have or could you recommend I get to show to parents I know what I'm doing :p I mainly want to look after 1-3 year olds and already have Books, Puzzles, transport vehicles, role play till and plastic food, musical instruments and baby toys. In the garden I have a sand and water pit and I'm about to get a little play house.

Any advice would be great! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Rick
23-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Was going to say the same. Get out the age appropriate toys out you already have and maybe add to it once mindee starts. You can't possibly have toys that cover every eventuality. The parents will probably be scrutinising you more than your toys so don't worry too much!

squeely wheely
23-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks everyone that's really helpful. I feel a lot more confident with what I've got and I'll explain that I'll get more to meet their child's needs :-)

loocyloo
24-01-2013, 08:25 AM
and the best toy in the whole wide world is an adult ready to play and join in with ideas to have fun, as well as to follow the childs lead :clapping:

ivy
24-01-2013, 10:29 PM
I have found the one thing children love is for an adult to sit down and talk with them . As parents we never have enough time to talk with them .

Shamai
25-01-2013, 01:54 PM
The best investment I ever made was a train table - its used by all ages from 18mo to 5yo, every day! Don't worry about getting too much too soon, you can build up slowly - what you've got already sounds great x