PDA

View Full Version : How long do you are plan on being a childminder??

harleyrider
23-01-2013, 04:51 PM
How long do you intend to work as a childminder?
I had a background in childcare and when I had to return to the world of work after my lo's cm was my chosen path. As much as I love my job (not the paperwork) and I can work it mostly around my young family's needs. I've always had a plan that I would give up cming when my youngest starts senior sch, so another 6years?!
It's not set in stone but feel by then I would love to have my home back and when my children are grown my oh and I won't be so tolerant of toys/EY visitors/Ofsted requirements on our home etc etc.
So while I aim to continue to be the best cm I can now, I don't think I'll always be a childminder???
(But you never know??!!)

Anybody else have a plan??

cherry
23-01-2013, 04:57 PM
I had a plan 16 years ago, I said I would childmind until my son started school, which he did and I carried on.

Now I'm saying I'm going to do it for 4 more years to get him through University and then that is it, I would love my home back. I can't remember what it's like not to have toys everywhere.

Remind me in 5 years time what I said today :laughing:

migimoo
23-01-2013, 04:57 PM
I'll be trying to do it for as long as I can,apart from the paperwork I love it and could kick myself for not doing it years ago,Yes-I'm doing double the hours of my old job but the day flies by and i'm earning lots more too...I have rheumatoid arthritis and at 37 have good and bad days but it's manageable atm-obviously as I get older it's only going to get worse so I think when I get to the point where I can't kneel/lift,etc i'll think about going into something else.

Kiddleywinks
23-01-2013, 05:11 PM
For as long as I'm happy to carry on, and if that takes me all the way to retiring, that's fine by me :thumbsup:

lizzy29
23-01-2013, 05:30 PM
In an ideal world I'd like to give up when my youngest starts school (another 3 years yet) and get a job in a school as a TA or receptionist?

But those jobs are soooo hard to find!

Then maybe I can have a huge toy sale, and have carpet and a fabric sofa!! (practical laminate floor and leather sofa at the mo!)

That's my dream anyway lol

Although most days I love what I do and that I'm at home with my boys!! Xx

Toothfairy
23-01-2013, 05:31 PM
I said I would do it until my youngest started primary.......she starts secondary next year and I'm still here :laughing:

dette
23-01-2013, 05:39 PM
im doing it until a few of my kids leave home ,ive still got all 7 living here at the moment. i want to be a foster carer and i need the bedrooms,eldest three kids are 13 ..18 and 22 so some should leave at some point

lizzy29
23-01-2013, 05:39 PM
I said I would do it until my youngest started primary.......she starts secondary next year and I'm still here :laughing:

Lol I probably will be too! My mother in law is also a childminder she always says she will continue until next inspection then stop but 28 years later she's still going!!

teacake2
23-01-2013, 05:41 PM
I said 5 years it is now 29 years:panic::panic::panic:
Teacake2

Memina
23-01-2013, 05:51 PM
I always said it would be until my youngest started school which would be 2 years time but im now 20 weeks pregnant so thats at least another 5 years.

Although in saying that I cant think of anyother job where Im my own boss and can be here for my kids I mean collecting them etc and still earn money. But I do enjoy it and reckon id probably have another baby to out off giving it up.

Although what else could I do????,,

loocyloo
23-01-2013, 05:55 PM
i don't know!

i don't have a game plan as it were!

i nannied until it felt like the right time to stop, and i'll do the same with childminding! however, i can't see me doing anything else! i do enjoy volunteering in school and i work with a fantastic teacher & TA, who value my experience and let me do 'real' work with the children, rather than just sharpening pencils and cutting paper! however, i think i would get fed up of not being able to do what i wanted when i wanted such as its a nice day, lets forget about everything and go to the beach! plus the amount of planning & prep they do is immense.

my children are in primary and i think they need me at home until at least the end of secondary. i think having a parent around for the teenage years is as important ( if not more ) than for the early years.

:D

Roseolivia
23-01-2013, 06:08 PM
I said until Alfie was at school but that's only a couple of years away and i enjoy being around for them especially in the holidays. Hopefully by the time they've grown out of toys i may stop. I want to go back teaching childcare to teenagers, best job ever even though i wasn't my own boss. I was just discussing with a parent about moving and said like him i wouldn't care about moving out of the village and he said i couldn't as i'm the best minder so have to wait until they don't need childcare (this is our school head governor as well :thumbsup:)

lilac_dragon
23-01-2013, 06:17 PM
I said I'd do it until my youngest started at school, then I said when she goes to High School, she's now 25!
Eldest is 41 and 2 others in the middle.

Then said I'll do it until retirement age, 60 - the flipping Government changed the age of retirement!!!!!!

Went into it because ds2 was off school so often I couldn't go out to work, love it, and love the los but hate and detest the paperwork !

Katiekoo
23-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Funnily enough I've just started a thread about my situation 'would I be mad to give up'. I never had a plan, but think I probably won't be doing this forever!

Kiddleywinks
23-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Then said I'll do it until retirement age, 60 - the flipping Government changed the age of retirement!!!!!!

:laughing::laughing::laughing: sorry that made me howl with laughter

pat75
23-01-2013, 07:24 PM
For as long as I'm happy to carry on, and if that takes me all the way to retiring, that's fine by me :thumbsup:

That's my plan too.

silvermist
23-01-2013, 07:30 PM
I'll keep doing it for as long as it continues to make me happy and Im earning a living from it. x:)

sarah707
23-01-2013, 07:31 PM

Me too! :clapping:

littletreasures
23-01-2013, 07:39 PM
When I started (when my first child was 1) I said I would give it up when my children started high school.

Then I said I would see my current mindees to school.

I have now been doing it for 22 years. My youngest has just started college in US, so I won't be giving it up just yet as we have to pay her fees as she gets no financial help with student loans!!!

RuthJ
23-01-2013, 07:44 PM
For as long as I can I think - it's the perfect job at the moment!

pinkellifun
23-01-2013, 07:45 PM
I've only been doing this for 6 months now and although I am exhausted at the end of the day, when I do get a day off I am soooooooo bored and don't know what to do with myself. I am happy to carry on as long as parents and children are happy with me and I am happy with my situation.

:D

helena_j
23-01-2013, 08:13 PM
I honestly don't think I could be employed again lol.

I love being my own person and fitting things in around my family I worked in childcare years before I started childminding. I am new to childminding only started in September but I love it, the day flies no commuting money is keeping us comfortable and we are still a few years of completing our family would like another 1 maybe 2 more of our own. I hope one day I can just do part time when mine are off at school but can't imagine never working and imagine when my family is completed I will be too old to start my hand at something new.

Rick
23-01-2013, 08:18 PM

Same as me. Could never go back to doing a desk job now! :laughing:

VeggieSausage
23-01-2013, 08:27 PM
5 years more for me, until my youngest goes to secondary school and my husband retires (don't think me childminding and having grumpy dh around the place would work!!!)

jadavi
23-01-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm also going till retirement she and then

jadavi
23-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Sorry - going to say - plan to foster after retiring . Can't see a life without kids whatever age!