PDA

View Full Version : After school only obs. How many?

jennie1312
23-01-2013, 02:30 PM
I have 2 children both in reception year, so stll in the EYFS and i know need to do some basic obs on them but how many, roughly do you think i should do? I have one of them
mon 3-4:45pm
tue 8-9am school dropp of and 3-4:45pm
Thu 8-9am again school drop off only

the other child is 8-9am +3-5pmm mon, tue and wed
Neither of them are with me for any great deal of time as i do not get back from the schhol run untl 4pm
Do you think 1 obs a month would be ok as school do the main part of the EYFS?

JCrakers
23-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Well, I don't know if I'm right but I don't do any written obs for schoolies. They are all in my head and all activities we so after school cover dev matters so as long as I can tell ofsted what I do with the schoolies I don't write anything down for them.

But that's me :). I have 6 ljs to do so try and keep extra paperwork to a minimum.

amanda1309
23-01-2013, 02:44 PM
I don't do any obs on schoolies.
It's far too busy here before and after school, and most of them just want feeding and to watch the tv.

lilac_dragon
23-01-2013, 04:27 PM
I have to agree with the others here, I have 1 in Reception at the moment and if I did do obs on them then it would only ever read "Fell asleep".

We get home at 4.10, then I have to do snacks for 4 and feed 12 and 18 months old their tea, change nappies, clear away the tea things from the table so I can put out paper,pens, and board games.
By then Reception child is fast asleep on sofa.
In the next 30 mins 2 go home, so I need to supervise coats, shoes etc and do handover chats to parents. The sleepy one goes home at 5.15 still half asleep.

jennie1312
23-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Thats intrestng, I was told that because they were still in the early years group i had to do some obs just to show i was supporting what school do with them. will look into it as dont want to do them if i dont need to.

sarah707
23-01-2013, 06:24 PM
The requirements state that you need to work with parents and school to find out what they want you to do with the child to complement their learning elsewhere.

Note that somewhere and then get them involved in fun activities to support their learning, maybe read books with them and sing songs, let them cook with you etc etc...

However, you don't have to do a file for them as long as you have noted how you are complementing their time elsewhere.

EYFS requirement 1.3 Wrap around (care offered before and after a school day, e.g. by an after school club or by a childminder) and holiday providers (provision exclusively in the school holidays) should be guided by, but do not necessarily need to meet, all the learning and development requirements. Practitioners should discuss with parents and/or carers (and other practitioners and providers as appropriate) the support they intend to offer, seeking to complement learning in settings in which children spend more time.

Hth :D

lilac_dragon
24-01-2013, 09:58 AM
I understand what you're saying Sarah, and with the AWAKE children I do, the most helpful thing from the schools point of view is helping with their reading, as they often go to bed fairly soon after getting home, so parents often can't do that.
but where do we stand with the parents who insist that they actually want their children to just "chill out" in front of some cartoons, taking the view that their children have worked hard all day at school, and are tired and need to just switch off for a while, rather than being stimulated?
I offer paper/colouring materials - but not Craft at this time of day we need the table for eating!, books everywhere, board/card games and puzzles - in general it's quiet wind down time.
A very high percentage of my children come as babies and stay through to late teens, so they get on with homework.
I've not had any problems with Ofsted re this in the past, but things have changed.
I really value your common sense approach, Sarah, if you look at my post and see the amount of time my Class R child is here, and what I need to do myself during that time - for all who are with me, could you please comment if you'd do anything different and what?
Thank you in advance!:)