PDA

View Full Version : Medical Screening

Binney
23-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Hi there. I received a letter from Ofsted today explaining that after receiving my health dec they've decided to seek further advice from their medical screening suppliers and have asked me to complete a consent form which I've done and will post back this afternoon. This was a little surprising as my condition is past, not current, but at the same time I understand their reasons for further investigation. I was just wondering if anyone else has had to go through Ofsted's medical screening programme? Did it vastly slow down your application process? What did it entail? The letter is a little vague. Perhaps I should call and discuss it with them if I have questions..? Thanks everyone!

Rick
23-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Hi there. I received a letter from Ofsted today explaining that after receiving my health dec they've decided to seek further advice from their medical screening suppliers and have asked me to complete a consent form which I've done and will post back this afternoon. This was a little surprising as my condition is past, not current, but at the same time I understand their reasons for further investigation. I was just wondering if anyone else has had to go through Ofsted's medical screening programme? Did it vastly slow down your application process? What did it entail? The letter is a little vague. Perhaps I should call and discuss it with them if I have questions..? Thanks everyone!

I haven't gone through this I'm afraid. I don't know whether Ofsted still have to comply with completing in 12 weeks? You obviously know what your previous condition was. Ofsted just have to make further checks that the past condition won't affect you childminding. They have to check out people more carefully that haven't got a completely clear medical history as duty of care to children you may mind. As it is a past condition, hopefully it won't be an issue.
Good luck :thumbsup:

Binney
23-01-2013, 01:41 PM
I haven't gone through this I'm afraid. I don't know whether Ofsted still have to comply with completing in 12 weeks? You obviously know what your previous condition was. Ofsted just have to make further checks that the past condition won't affect you childminding. They have to check out people more carefully that haven't got a completely clear medical history as duty of care to children you may mind. As it is a past condition, hopefully it won't be an issue.
Good luck :thumbsup:

Hi Rick, thanks for your reply. I completely understand Ofsteds position and if I were ever to leave my son with an Ofsted Reg Childminder I would expect him/her to have been fully vetted. My concern is how they go about obtaining this information. I've invested a lot into my business already - time, money, effort - and would hate to be written off because of something in my medical history that is no longer a concern without the opportunity to discuss these concerns face-to-face either with an Ofsted inspector or a medical professional if that were deemed necessary. I also expect their course of action may be different from case to case but just thought if someone had been through it then they'd be able to shed a little light on what happens next. (I'm a bit of a worrier you see!) Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your well wishes :-) I'll keep my fingers tightly crossed.

Rick
23-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi Rick, thanks for your reply. I completely understand Ofsteds position and if I were ever to leave my son with an Ofsted Reg Childminder I would expect him/her to have been fully vetted. My concern is how they go about obtaining this information. I've invested a lot into my business already - time, money, effort - and would hate to be written off because of something in my medical history that is no longer a concern without the opportunity to discuss these concerns face-to-face either with an Ofsted inspector or a medical professional if that were deemed necessary. I also expect their course of action may be different from case to case but just thought if someone had been through it then they'd be able to shed a little light on what happens next. (I'm a bit of a worrier you see!) Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your well wishes :-) I'll keep my fingers tightly crossed.

That's ok, happy to help and give my opinion (for what it's worth!). I would be very surprised if Ofsted didn't consult you during their further medical checks to gather more information. If you are sure it is no longer a problem then any further medical checks should come back clear. Ofsted are able to limit the number of children you can look after if they deem a medical condition will inhibit you. Hopefully this won't be the case. I would be very surprised if they do not accept registration at all.

Paulab
23-01-2013, 01:52 PM
I did

I filled in the form returned it & then expected to visit one of their doctors but if I rembemer rightly they just sent me out a additional form to fill in,

My was for a back condition.

It didn't take long.

Hope it's sorted soon x

Binney
23-01-2013, 02:01 PM
I did

I filled in the form returned it & then expected to visit one of their doctors but if I rembemer rightly they just sent me out a additional form to fill in,

My was for a back condition.

It didn't take long.

Hope it's sorted soon x

Thank you for sharing Paula! :) Much appreciated.

tulip0803
23-01-2013, 04:03 PM
When I first registered I was referred due to my asthma. I didn't need to see any doctors or fill in any forms I just got a letter a short while later saying their doctors had reveiwed the information and I was passed as fit to be a childminder:)

Good luck

siany69
31-05-2013, 01:00 PM

Hiya; I had the exact same thing today .. I had my ofsted pre reg visit and she said that she was happy and recommending me for childcare provision ... However this has totally thrown me.. And like you ; have also invested lots of time and money in to this ..... :( I think they should do this at the beginning rather than at this stage ... Good luck with it x

Binney
31-05-2013, 07:01 PM
@siany69 - So sorry to hear this has happened to you. I didn't hear anything back about it at all and then got a call one Friday afternoon from an inspector saying they would do my registration interview on the Monday at 9am (that was a manic weekend of preparation!) but even during the visit the inspector didn't know for sure if my medical had passed. But it must have done as a few weeks later my certificate came through the post! At no point did they contact me further about it. I would try not to worry; I'm sure it will be fine. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and if you have the time please do message me and let me know how you get on. Best of luck!