PDA

View Full Version : Did you have experience?

sprinkles
23-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Before you started as a childminder did you have previous childcare experience?

lilac_dragon
23-01-2013, 12:39 PM
4 children of my own.
Oh, and I was a child once myself:blush:
That's all though

ChocolateChip
23-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Not from an employment point of view really.
I did have 3 of my own, had babysat for family for years, did childcare o level at school, helped out as a volunteer at a youth club and toddler group, did my nvq2 placement in a preschool and did six weeks of creche/ family support work for a short course at my local community centre but no nanny or nursery experience.

AliceK
23-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Apart from having my own 2 children I also worked some years ago as a nanny for 2 different families, one looking after 2 children and the other looking after 3 children. That was many years ago though.

xxx

loocyloo
23-01-2013, 01:36 PM
i trained as a nursery nurse and worked as a nanny for 14 years, i also worked at a local nursery school for a year ( alongside one of my nanny jobs ).

i had also done lots of babysitting, run the creche at church and volunteered at school!

i don't actually know HOW to do anything else!!!

JCrakers
23-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Same loocyloo :) I don't know how to do anything else..lol

Left school,went to college,obtained NNEB.then went to live in London as a nanny for 8yrs, had two children of my own and became a childminder. :)

The Juggler
23-01-2013, 02:07 PM
none. i had 2 children (4 and 2) but I worked full time til i became a minder.

RuthJ
23-01-2013, 02:13 PM
I worked full time but not in childcare. My only experience when I started minding was my own two young children.

MrsP2C
23-01-2013, 02:17 PM
none. i had 2 children (4 and 2) but I worked full time til i became a minder.

^^ This ^^

Samcat
23-01-2013, 05:01 PM
2 children of my own - now in their teens.
7 years 1:1 SEN learning support in primary school.
EYPS
2 years in nurseries (good experience, but did not enjoy).
Then I registered as a CM.

Kiddleywinks
23-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Oldest of 11 (no telly in our house lol)
2 of my own
various nieces and nephews
Dinner lady
Committee at DD's and DS's preschool which is what really opened my eyes and set me off on the childminding road

lynncjt
23-01-2013, 06:01 PM
No! I single and no kids of my own, but have been universal aunty to dozens! IT was my career path - loved training other people/helping them learn and after 2 bouts of ill health had to find another occupation!

I been childminding since last August and loving it so far (well most of the time...) and for where I live I earn a reasonable amount of money (probably more than I could earn in employment locally) as I have no formal qualifications in anything.

saly
23-01-2013, 06:56 PM
None.....but got 3 kids :)

TAZ
23-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Had 3 kids already.
Lots of babysitting / childcare as a teenager
Ran a toddler group & voluntry creche
No formal training though, just because I went part time with my job after having children & thought I might as well look after extra children on my days off!!:laughing:

pat75
23-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Had my kids, babysit for my family, did some respite help for family with autistic child and help as volunteer at camps for children with special needs.

*daisychain*
23-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Had my twins at 17 and then got nvq3 in childcare , worked as a TA in primary school for ten years ,4 of which as a key worker in the nursery which I loved until it turned into a foundation unit, 69 children in one room !! Not for me , I ran an after school club for a year too . Always said I would childmind if I had another child , so after six years of trying for my boy ,out he came and here I am ! Now work with my hubby as an assistant , been doing it for just over a year and I live, breath and sleep childminding . I love it, just wish I could switch
Off once in a while :)

Helen Dempster
24-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Nope, none. Have 2 boys of my own, but before childminding I worked in an office for 18 years!!! I did used to help out organising annual kids' party but that was about it! I think for me, personally, it helps that i have never grown up!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ;)

jewelzlittlegem
24-01-2013, 10:50 AM
I have had 2 lovely boys which are now grown up, I fostered for 3 yrs, got my NVQ level 3 in CAYP and then worked in Crisis centres and children's home then worked in a secure units for teenagers,
then came in to childminding and got my NVQ level 3 in CCLD and love it .

jax clinch
24-01-2013, 02:42 PM
I was a teacher in foundation stage and key stage 1 for 10 years but stopped when I had my second child (now have 4) and after a few years of being a full time mum I stumbled across being a childminder for a friend and have continued with new families. Looking at doing my EYPS with a view of perhaps going back into early years teaching !!! Not sure if I would miss taking mine and picking them up from school though and all the extra things i get to see working from home!!

helena_j
24-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Started minding last sept as made redundant from my nanny job have worked in childcare since I left college with my NNEB, 13 years go:-0 its gone fast! Can never imagine doing anything other than childcare and wish I had started childminding when my little boy was a baby would have been so much easier than dragging him to work with me each day!

lisa1968
24-01-2013, 02:54 PM
I worked as a nanny for over 10 years, then in a nursery for 4 years before having my son then registering as a CM :)

toddlers896
24-01-2013, 03:07 PM
No experience for me and I dont have any children myself.:eek:

migimoo
24-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Yes-I worked as a nursery nurse for 11 years, for 6 of these I was the deputy manager.

I STILL didn't do as much paperwork then as I do now and I can honestly say I was no more clued up on how to be a CM than anyone else apart from knowing about the EYFS:panic:

I also have 2 kids of my own.