PDA

View Full Version : children starting school

mummylovatt
23-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi all! I currently am registered to care for 4 children under the age of 5. I have my own 3 year old and another 3 yr old that I mind, I also have his 5 year old sister after school so still have 1 space available. The 3 year olds start full time school at easter and I will continue to have the 2 minded children and obviously mine after school and in Holidays, does this mean I can only have 1 child full time? as after school it will be upto 4? I'm not sure where I stand on afterschoolers under the age of 8. the afterschoolers will only be with me for max of 2 hours so will be at a real finacial loss if I can only have 1 full timer to leave space for my school age children. Sorryto ramble on but these are my first mindees as only registered last year! xx

FussyElmo
23-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Are you sure you are registered for 4 under 5 or do you mean 4 under 8

As I reading your numbers BUT im going on 4 under 8 and no more than 2 under the age of 5 because of your son.

So you have your mindee 3yo
mindee 5yo

I would say you could have 1 more under the age of 5 and 1 over.

Your 3 yos will still count in your under 5's as its for full time reception school :thumbsup:

marnieb
23-01-2013, 12:07 PM
if the 3 yr olds are at school full time, surely theyd be classed as rising 5's?? When are their birthdays?

FussyElmo
23-01-2013, 12:10 PM
if the 3 yr olds are at school full time, surely theyd be classed as rising 5's?? When are their birthdays?

No its only 4 yos that can be classed as rising 5's

Im almost sure that the eyfs also says reception class not nursery :thumbsup:

bunyip
23-01-2013, 01:27 PM
No its only 4 yos that can be classed as rising 5's

Im almost sure that the eyfs also says reception class not nursery :thumbsup:

IIUC it involves Ofsted's interpretation of EYFS Statutory Framework 3.40. The "rising 5's" have to be aged 4 or 5. They are supposed to be in school rather than nursery, as 3.40 refers to ".....before and/or after a normal school day....." (my italics) which is taken to imply they are in school. I've heard reports of Ofsted having contradictory views on cases of children in a school-based nursery.

FussyElmo
23-01-2013, 01:37 PM
IIUC it involves Ofsted's interpretation of EYFS Statutory Framework 3.40. The "rising 5's" have to be aged 4 or 5. They are supposed to be in school rather than nursery, as 3.40 refers to ".....before and/or after a normal school day....." (my italics) which is taken to imply they are in school. I've heard reports of Ofsted having contradictory views on cases of children in a school-based nursery.

Yes they have allowed my for all my children to become a rising 5 while still in school nursery -however they were always 4 never 3 :thumbsup:

mummylovatt
29-01-2013, 10:09 AM
thanks all :) one of the 3yr olds will be in 4 a few weeks after starting full time and the other will be 4 not long after that, will leave taking another child untill they all turn 4 I think :) x

freckleonear
29-01-2013, 03:18 PM
thanks all :) one of the 3yr olds will be in 4 a few weeks after starting full time and the other will be 4 not long after that, will leave taking another child untill they all turn 4 I think :) x

Are you in Wales? In England children usually start full time school the September after their 4th birthday, so can't be counted as rising 5s until then, but I know they start earlier in Wales so it might be possible for them to be rising 5s as soon as they turn 4.