PDA

View Full Version : so how long do you think ASAP should be ..? and variation form advice

dette
23-01-2013, 09:47 AM
on the 10th of this month a parent of 11month old text and asked if she could possibly swap a day (usually does thurs fri but needed wed) seeing as hes the only daytime one in on friday i said yes would swap fri for wed ,she has a 3yr old in nursery so she said she would check with nursery if they could swap and and let me know ASAP...i heard nothing more about it until ten o'clock last night,text message "is it still ok for H to come tomorrow " ...mmm
.in the meantime because it wasnt confirmed so not on the calender ive agreed to have my adhoc 2 1/2 yr old this afternoon ,so now i have 11month ,20 month 2yr and 2 1/2 yr old,havent got anything in writing about giving myself variation for the afternoon as i wasnt prepared,does anyone have a template that they use for this or should i just write it up ,reason why ,how long for ,age of kids ,any other thing i should include ?

Rick
23-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Can you not put in place a permanent continuity of care for your ad hoc child so this situation will not arise again? Obviously it has to be for exceptional purposes, is this exceptional? Can you comfortably have this many children, get them around etc.

I personally think as it wasn't confirmed you will have to say no to the extra day now?

Probably didn't help but there's my two penny worth! :D

dette
23-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Can you not put in place a permanent continuity of care for your ad hoc child so this situation will not arise again? Obviously it has to be for exceptional purposes, is this exceptional? Can you comfortably have this many children, get them around etc.

I personally think as it wasn't confirmed you will have to say no to the extra day now?

Probably didn't help but here's my two penny worth! :D

he's already here !!! adhoc arrives at 1 .ive already managed school run ,one in sling 2 on reigns to drop off my 3 boys .got pm school run sorted,only my own 3 to pick up today and DD is collecting them,the 3 little ones will be asleep before adhoc arrives and she is really good ,infact hey all are ,so not worried at all about looking after them all its just the paperwork i need to get right

Rick
23-01-2013, 10:16 AM
he's already here !!! adhoc arrives at 1 .ive already managed school run ,one in sling 2 on reigns to drop off my 3 boys .got pm school run sorted,only my own 3 to pick up today and DD is collecting them,the 3 little ones will be asleep before adhoc arrives and she is really good ,infact hey all are ,so not worried at all about looking after them all its just the paperwork i need to get right

Probably need to do a risk assessment, but not gonna happen by 1! Maybe try and set up continuity of care for the ad hoc in future. I think possibly you should have told parent last night you had already said yes to ad hoc child and as not confirmed, sorry can't have your child.

I don't think there's anything you can do now as ad hoc definitely coming. Try and sort paperwork tonight so it is water tight.

bunyip
23-01-2013, 10:24 AM
The EYFS requirement (Statutory Framework 3.40) for going above the usual ratios for exceptional circumstances is that you can "demonstrate.... that the individual needs of all the children are being met" So that's what you need to consider and provide evidence for it terms of risk assessment, resources, activities, delivery of learning & development programme, and so on.

ASAP is such a dangerous term to use. It will always mean different things to different people.

To the person saying it, it means: "I do need to know soon, so get on with it."
To the person hearing it, it means the exact opposite: "yeah, fine, in your own sweet time."

If you need to know by a certain date, then say so. Otherwise the parents think it doesn't matter cos you never said it matters, and they have the excuse that they did tell you "as soon as possible" (even if that's cos they're the kind of people who couldn't possibly get their backsides in gear until the last minute!)

As a rule of thumb, every time I'm about to say "asap" I stop and ask myself whether I should:-

Actually
Specify
A
Period

Hope it goes well and that you can explain to mum so it doesn't happen again. :)

Rick
23-01-2013, 10:29 AM
The EYFS requirement (Statutory Framework 3.40) for going above the usual ratios for exceptional circumstances is that you can "demonstrate.... that the individual needs of all the children are being met" So that's what you need to consider and provide evidence for it terms of risk assessment, resources, activities, delivery of learning & development programme, and so on.

ASAP is such a dangerous term to use. It will always mean different things to different people.

To the person saying it, it means: "I do need to know soon, so get on with it."
To the person hearing it, it means the exact opposite: "yeah, fine, in your own sweet time."

If you need to know by a certain date, then say so. Otherwise the parents think it doesn't matter cos you never said it matters, and they have the excuse that they did tell you "as soon as possible" (even if that's cos they're the kind of people who couldn't possibly get their backsides in gear until the last minute!)

As a rule of thumb, every time I'm about to say "asap" I stop and ask myself whether I should:-

Actually
Specify
A
Period

Hope it goes well and that you can explain to mum so it doesn't happen again. :)

What a brill way of changing what ASAP means. Bunyip you are a genius! :D

dette
23-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Probably need to do a risk assessment, but not gonna happen by 1! Maybe try and set up continuity of care for the ad hoc in future. I think possibly you should have told parent last night you had already said yes to ad hoc child and as not confirmed, sorry can't have your child.

I don't think there's anything you can do now as ad hoc definitely coming. Try and sort paperwork tonight so it is water tight.

thank you x i'll do that once all gone at 5

sarah707
23-01-2013, 06:50 PM
This will hopefully help with the paperwork -

Changes to Conditions of Registration (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/changestoconditionsofregistration.html)

You should have spoken to all parents before agreeing the variation though to make sure they understand the impact on their child blah blah blah... so make sure you record that somewhere.

Hth :D