PDA

View Full Version : Borrowing books

carlyr
22-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Hi everyone, I am a member of my local library and visit once a week with mindees for rhyme time and to also borrow books. I do lots of reading and story sacks with them and want to encourage my parents to read at home too. I am thinking of letting the children choose a book from the wide selection I have once a week to take home to look at and read with parents. Has anybody else done this? do the books come back in one piece or at all?? I want to put together a letter to parents of my plan to do this but not sure what to say..my mind keeps going blank when I begin to write. :-0

hectors house
22-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Is it your own books or the library books you want to let the children take home - why don't you bring home from the library literature on joining the library and give that out to parents, or let the children choose a library book that they can take home for a week?

I am a member of my local library (I used to work there as relief staff), I knew that local nurseries were allowed to borrow far more books than normal members and for about 3 months at a time, so when I started childminding and then the EYFS came in, I told my library that I was the same as a nursery in Ofsted's view and I wanted the same library card advantages - and I got it. I never have to pay fines as we always make sure the books are back within 3 months and I am allowed to borrow the BIG books and far more books than I can ever carry. This only applies to childrens books, not adult books (fiction or non-fiction), but I have my own card for that.

I am thinking of doing the opposite to you and asking the children to bring in each week their favourite book to share with everyone.

miffy
22-01-2013, 10:52 PM
I have lots of books and the children often borrow them, generally they come back as they left, sometimes I forget who's taken books especially if its over a weekend but they turn up eventually.

I also ask parents to send in their children's favourite books, sometimes on a theme, like nursery rhymes or just what they are enjoying ATM.

Miffy xx

carlyr
25-01-2013, 05:27 PM
It was my own books that I was planning on using. I did bring info fron the library to give to parents for joining and I like the idea of asking them to bring their favourite book from home too :-)

sarak31
25-01-2013, 09:57 PM
I do this and the children love it! All the parents look after the books too.

Helen Dempster
25-01-2013, 10:26 PM
I often allow the children to choose a library book to take home. I write the title of the book and the mindees name next to it in my diary (on the page it's due back) so I can keep track of whose got which book. It works well, and the little ones have always brought them back (thanks to mums and dads!) in one piece and on time (I sometimes give a gentle reminder). I did have one occasion where an older mindee lost a library book and the library said it had to be replaced (his mum made him pay for it out of his pocket money).

All the mindees love going to the library and enjoy choosing a book or two to take home. Just make sure you keep a note of the books etc and all's good :)