PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted dont like child being taken out of room...

jadavi
22-01-2013, 07:30 PM
I was at a training today and a nursery worker said Ofsted had recently picked them up about removing a child from a scene when he was been aggressive/ melt down/ uncooperative and talking to them outside the room. She said an adult was with him all the time but I couldn't tell if this was by way of punishment ie time out or done to help the child,
Has anyone else heard that Ofsted frowns on this?

sarah707
22-01-2013, 07:38 PM
I suppose it depends what your behaviour / physical intervention policy says.

There are lots of good reasons for removing children from the room - off the top of my head -

The child might be a danger to themselves or others

Children are often embarrassed after a meltdown and need to cry - but might not feel comfortable in front of others.

It is important to create a distance sometimes to give everyone a chance to calm down

You can talk more easily to a child if you have them one-to-one.

Hmmm I would say follow your behaviour policy - mine says that the child is given time to calm down and consider their actions / behaviour and I chat with them - I don't specify that I take them to another room but I might if the situation arose where they would be safer in their own space.

Hth :D

watgem
22-01-2013, 07:41 PM
I was told by an Ofsted inspector that they don't even approve of time out where the child is standing next to you, which is what my local preschols were told to do by the community nursery teacher

jadavi
22-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Yes that's pretty much what this nursery worker said.
Maybe it's different for nurseries? Like Sarah says there are many different reasons to move a child away from the scene...

merry
22-01-2013, 10:52 PM
I was told by an Ofsted inspector that they don't even approve of time out where the child is standing next to you, which is what my local preschols were told to do by the community nursery teacher

So what on earth are we supposed to do then:huh:

:)

TAZ
22-01-2013, 11:53 PM

Just phrase it differently depending what is pc at the time - does my head in!!

leeanne910
22-01-2013, 11:57 PM
I use time out called calm down time. Which isnt in a specified place its anywhere so a child doesnt accosiate ( lol sp) a certain area with that behaviour.

This is from my parenting programme delivering i am trained to do from previous job.... Hope that helps...ofsted were ok with that. I said its wat i do with my children too.

Kiddleywinks
23-01-2013, 07:44 AM

Leave the children in the playroom and have some calm down time ourselves cuddled ourselves on the sofa? :laughing:

ps. only be concerned if you start rocking backwards and forwards when on the sofa

LittleLegsCM
23-01-2013, 08:01 AM
As much as I stick to ofsted's rules, I'm really having trouble with this one at the moment!

I posted on Friday about the 9yo mindee who told me to shut my mouth & that my house was a dump, well his attitude hasn't changed at all after numerous 'talking to's' by the parents so I've now decided that every time he is rude/verbally abusive etc. he is removed from the room until he has calmed back down. Sadly, this doesn't seem to have fazed him at all but at least this way others aren't being affected by it.

Unfortunately, I really can't afford to give notice at the moment, I have him & his brother (who can be just as much of a handful) and then an after schooler so it's either put up with it until someone else comes along and earn OR give notice and be stressing over how to pay the mortgage.

gegele
23-01-2013, 08:18 AM
it's all getting far too much for me!!

we can do less and less well children misbehave, they grow up worse worse and worse, teenagers thinks they're owed everything by the world and the community, young adults are full of excuses..... :panic::( it's ridiculous!!!

when the child display wrong or aggressive behaviour they should be separated to explain and show that you can't be in group, society when misbehaving, while not following the rules. It it's their duty to follow the rules to get the rights and not the other way round.

I can't wait to come out of this PC nonsense.

izzy23
23-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Absolute nonsense, whatever you call it, time out etc, moving solo to different area is necessary sometimes especially when you have to make clear distinctions about boundaries re negative actions and behaviour. Obviously all that is subjective depending on your policies, the behaviour displayed, age of child etc. How can you do this if a child is now supposed to have full inclusion no matter what their behaviour. How are you supposed to have a talk about behaviour if other LO's are butting in, as someone else has mentioned do we leave a child who is upset, distressed, embarrassed to play that out in front of everyone else. If this is the case are they going to be telling Secondary Schools we can't employ isolations/exclusions any more.
Rubbish.

jadavi
24-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Hear hear!!