PDA

View Full Version : Child with Chest Infection

Childminder in Kent
22-01-2013, 07:04 PM
I have missed this one off of my Sickness policy :rolleyes:
What is the general thing to do?
The child isnt contagious but was VERY unhappy today with me (has been taken to the Doctor since). I don't want to exclude him as I know it is difficult for parents to get time off work, but equally, i have other children to mind and they need considering too. The time I will 'take away' from them watching the sick child - He really cried everytime I put him down today. Plus we won't be able to go 'out and about' - toddler groups etc with him ill.
I have a good relationship with his parents and they have contacted me asking what they should do for tomorrow.
What does everyone else do/say?
Pat

Rick
22-01-2013, 07:07 PM
The child should be at home. Whilst you don't want to exclude him, he is clearly ill and it's not fair on you or the other children.

If I was the parent, I would want to be at home with him.

Don't forget you are a childminder, not a doctor! :D

Childminder in Kent
22-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks Rick_Knight.
Yes.......I know that really. Im sure Mum would like to stay home with him but it's not often that easy is it - and I feel bad!

Kiddleywinks
22-01-2013, 07:11 PM
I tell parents if a child is unable to participate in a normal day then they need to stay home.

I have school run to do and for an ill child that'd be a no go for them.

Childminder in Kent
22-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Yes, I have a school run to do. Plus we usually go toddler group tomorrow. It would mean that I can't go out if I had him.

Rick
22-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks Rick_Knight.
Yes.......I know that really. Im sure Mum would like to stay home with him but it's not often that easy is it - and I feel bad!

I agree, not easy, but the right decision. Although I would understand, I would also be a little upset if I was the parent of one of the other children, paying for a day's care for my child who is unable to go to toddler groups or outside.

Rick
22-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Yes, I have a school run to do. Plus we usually go toddler group tomorrow. It would mean that I can't go out if I had him.

I think you have your answer! :D

LauraS
22-01-2013, 07:17 PM
It is in his best interests to be at home as he is clearly not well. I had a chest infection a couple if years ago and felt absolutely awful - there is no way I could have done a school run like that. I know it'd hard for working parents but the child needs to be.home.x

blue bear
22-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Why do you say lo us not contagious?
I always still cared for lo's with chest infections until I took my son to the doctor with a chest infection, she said it was very contagious and I should not be minding while he had the chest infection. So now I exclude until chest clear.

Childminder in Kent
22-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks for your advice everyone, I will be telling mum to keep him at home.