PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas to encourage child to engage in activities?

katickles
22-01-2013, 01:53 PM
I currently mind a child (recently turned 1year) lovely child. I am struggling however to get the child to engage in any activities.
Child is only part time so I don't get to spend much time with them however we have a nice bond. Happily come for cuddles re assurance etc.
I'm slightly concerned that I don't have much in the way if evidence of things we do/ attempt to do as said child will not participate ??

Anybody any experience or advice on this?

Thanks

Tunja
22-01-2013, 05:33 PM
I currently mind a child (recently turned 1year) lovely child. I am struggling however to get the child to engage in any activities.
Child is only part time so I don't get to spend much time with them however we have a nice bond. Happily come for cuddles re assurance etc.
I'm slightly concerned that I don't have much in the way if evidence of things we do/ attempt to do as said child will not participate ??

Anybody any experience or advice on this?

Thanks

Lets face it the child is only one!! It should be exploring and investigating not participating in activities. Try Leaving a washing up bowl, wooden spoon, kitchen sponge, tongs, egg cup etc in the bowl and leave them to 'play' with it. You do not need to participate just be close for the cuddles and reassurance.

Tunja

blue bear
22-01-2013, 05:34 PM
As baby is only just turned one, most of the play will be things she likes doing. What do you mean by activities?
My nearly one year old likes doing her own thing emptying out stuff every where and generally making a mess. :)
She likes emptying out paint pots and makes lovely pictures that way but isn't keen on painting with a brush or her hands.
She likes emoting bottle out with ceral in, she will shake them and listen to the noise In. Her effort to empty but there is no way she would play with a musical shaker.

In short I think I'm saying what interests your little one, build activities from there.

sarah707
22-01-2013, 05:42 PM
They start joining in around age 2 - 3 normally - before this it's all about providing individual experiences and play opportunities linked to their likes, dislikes, home interests etc.

They might play alongside others but rarely with them... so your obs will be focussed on what the child can do and their development in the prime areas :D

katickles
22-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Lets face it the child is only one!! It should be exploring and investigating not participating in activities. Try Leaving a washing up bowl, wooden spoon, kitchen sponge, tongs, egg cup etc in the bowl and leave them to 'play' with it. You do not need to participate just be close for the cuddles and reassurance.

Tunja

Yes I am aware the child's one :(

I simply mean as of yet not once has this child
Participated in any activity - will not entertain any mark making, wouldn't go near play dough, we did ice play nope, we did animal play - hidden in a bowl of scrunched up paper nope, we have treasure baskets out, again will not touch anything. The only toy as such being played with are sound making like shakers, or bashing things together.

Even down to feeding, only recently have I managed to get the child to pick up a chopped piece of fruit - other wise unless fed it they just wouldn't eat.

My obs are all on what developments have been made so for

pinky33
22-01-2013, 08:26 PM
I don't think you should worry, sounds like a perfectly normal one year old who will decide do things in It's own time.

katickles
22-01-2013, 08:47 PM
I don't think you should worry, sounds like a perfectly normal one year old who will decide do things in It's own time.

Thank you :)