PDA

View Full Version : Health declaration

leah.kyranidis
22-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Hi I am currently in the process of applying for my ofsted registration, and need to get my health declaration signed by the doctor. I rang my surgery and they want to charge me £82 for this, is this average price or is that expensive?

moggy
22-01-2013, 09:52 AM
It is up to the surgery, they can charge what they like. That does sound steep but unfortunately no much you can do about that. Remember to keep receipt and put it through your books as an expense.

leah.kyranidis
22-01-2013, 09:55 AM
I have just checked with another surgery and they are charging £80 so sounds about right for my area then! Am I right in thinking that I will only beagle to claim it for expenses if I am minding before the end of the tax year? I wouldn't beagle to carry it over would I?

chriss
22-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Thats a bit steep, mine charged a tenner !! Its not like you are having a medical examination, maybe they have misunderstood what you want? Its just a form to fill in, give them a ring back and ask , thats what I would do.

lizduncan72
22-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Mine cost £20 and I thought that was a lot!!! £80 sounds way too much

Binney
22-01-2013, 12:07 PM
I don't know if area plays any part in the cost but I am in Greater London and just had mine done last week. It cost me £87.50 :( but this is the recommended cost advised by the British Medical Association (it's detailed on their website - BMA - Other agreed fees (http://bma.org.uk/practical-support-at-work/pay-fees-allowances/fees/other-agreed-fees)).

It's a private document so they can charge what they wish. I only wish I had a nice doctor who would have done it for £20!

Rick
22-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Mine cost £17.50. They said it was £20 to start with so were very honest. Unfortunately they can charge what they like so you have an expensive one! :)

mrstom
22-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Mine was £65 and my friend who uses another surgery down the road was charged £125.

The most our DO has heard was a GP charging £250!!

Unfortunately they can set their own fees :(

Rachael's stars
22-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Mine was £20 and my sister is with a different surgary and she got hers for free. I have heared of people being charged up to £200 we live in north somerset just depends what your doctor decides to charge i guess

Lilylulu
23-01-2013, 07:01 AM
If you know your GP well, maybe pop in with it, is there any other reason that you go to see them. Mine knew that I changed job due to stress factors with juggling too much - supporting my daughter who has a chronic illness, a demanding job and a workplace bully. I had time off sick with stress so I had been getting sick notes for a few months. I was worried that they would mention my stress sick leave on the form and went to talk to them, they said it wasn't relevant as there was a specific reason for my stress and I had found a way to work round it. They wished me well, told me that our area needed more lovely mums to be childminders :blush: and did mine for free. The practice manager would have stamped a big fat charge on it if had gone through the office ;) It was lovely to know that a professional who knew I had struggled with stress still thought highly of me, and it gave me a lovely ego boost :)

We also have required letters for missed exams through illness and also cancelled holiday plans through illness, he did those free too :) Just don't ask the receptionist as they don't have the discretion to wave fees ;)

Good Luck with everything.

bunyip
23-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Mine was around £50, which amounted to more than £1 per word.

They can more or less charge what they want, unless you can find another GP and move yourself to that surgery, but that means changing your surgery completely, for treatment, etc. - not just for the form. Practically, that would not be a bright move. The new doctor would probably refer to your old doctor for the necessary information, be charged for passing it on and you'd have another big bill.

I was told this was a massive own goal by NCMA a few years ago. They campaigned to get these fees capped at below £100. Result: all the doctors that had previously been charging a tenner went, "gosh, we've clearing been charging too little" and instanly hiked their prices. :doh:

lynncjt
25-01-2013, 08:10 AM
I was one of the lucky ones then - my surgery only charge £20!

You can claim it as an expenses even if you are not registered until the next tax year. You just add all your pre registration expenses together and claim them as 'start up' expenses.

Jo1988
25-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Mine was originally meant to cost £98........They took over 3 weeks to fill it in so I complained about the high cost and that I expect something so expensive to be priority! They gave it me for £60! Maybe haggling is worth a shot haha !

x

Paulab
25-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Got mine free, am sure I was meant to be charged, but it kept getting mislaid & took ages to do, the receptionist tracked it down & just gave me it, I'm sure the practice manager would of charged,

My friend is being charged about £60 in south glos, but I think they can charge what they like :-((((

scottishlass
25-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Mine was £25 and I thought that was steep for completing 1 a4 form!

TAZ
25-01-2013, 11:05 PM
so much money (& variation in cost) just to fill in a basic form..:(

Helcatt
25-01-2013, 11:50 PM
They can charge, pretty much what they like

My old surgery forgot to invoice me! The GP didn't know what the charge was - I went armed with the chequebook

Dh just had his done and was charge £75

HX

shortstuff
26-01-2013, 01:17 AM
I got charged £25 but the gp filked it in from the wrong notes so after a lot of kicking off and an appointment i got it refunded x she had stated i had been refered to an eating disorder clinic for being underweight. Nothing wrong in that except that im 4'10 and 11 stone lol. Unless ive done nothing but eat all the pies for a year she muddled me with someone with an entirely different build. Just as well that im not sensitive lol.

mmichellled
29-01-2013, 07:38 PM
so does this mean they should charge not more than £89?

BMA - Other agreed fees (http://bma.org.uk/practical-support-at-work/pay-fees-allowances/fees/other-agreed-fees#childminders)

harleyrider
29-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Unluckily it sounds like your Dr buys very expensive ink :-\
My surgery quoted £55, when I went to collect and pay for it they said it would only be a £10 charge as it took very little time :-) not free but better than expected.

CathyAmy
30-01-2013, 02:38 PM
I was really lucky - rang my surgery and receptionist said they wouldn't know the cost until it had been completed by my Doctor - dropped it off just before I picked daughter up from school at 3pm and had a call from the surgery at 5pm saying it was ready for collection and it would be Free of Charge. I know someone that goes to the same surgery - but see's a different doctor and she was charged £80 - and all within a couple of weeks of each other! Now that's unfair.

leah.kyranidis
31-01-2013, 10:23 AM
It is ridiculous the amount that some doctors charge considering there isn't a lot to fill in! I have spoke to my doc since the receptionist quoted me £82 and she said that may be able to do it or £20! So dropping it in today and keeping fingers crossed x

coxeypea
10-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Last wk I went to see my GP & I had to see a locum he quoted me 130 needless to say I didn't agree & kept hold of it.Which has now caused a delay on my application process as I know too well I don't have that to hand over until hubby gets paid.How much is the usual charge from GP's in London???

lubeam
10-03-2013, 07:46 PM
My doctor had it 8 week , I rang week after two weeks , twice a week after a month then daily then asked to speak to the doctor direct , 3 days later I had to collect it , it should have been £50 but I gig it for £15 coz of the inconvenience !!!! I'm in South Yorkshire thou so not able to compare with London :p

Nicola Carlyle
10-03-2013, 08:40 PM
I was told during an appointment that I wound have to pay but wasn't told how much. I handed my form into reception, explained what it was and to guard it with their life. Receptionist told me there would be a few to pay and age wound call me with the details but 9 months later I still havnt paid a penny! Don't know what happened but it all got sent to ofsted and I'm up and running. xxx

Buckoblue
13-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Mine was free. I had heard that some people had been charged stupid amounts so I was worried but when I collected it they never mentioned payment so neither did I!