PDA

View Full Version : Those of you that have registered your Partner/Spouse as an assistant....

Tealady
21-01-2013, 11:10 PM
.... if they don't work with you permenantly and you don't have increased numbers due to them being your assistant, what was your reasons for getting them registered in the first place?

Helcatt
21-01-2013, 11:30 PM
my dh started as being an extra pair of hands when it was busy in the school holidays, that meant that I felt that we could do a trip out with bigger children too and not compromise the care of the little ones. And he helped out around tea time on days that there were a few extra after schoolers in

It then progressed so that he helped me on days that I had been granted a variation, as I found trying to look after 4 under 5s on my own to be very hard work, even though they were all known quantities, they were young. I was less experienced. Would cope fine now, I think

And then it progressed further and he gave up his job and works with me full time, now in fact, in the process of registering as CM in his own right

HX

TAZ
21-01-2013, 11:47 PM
registered dh as assisstant when I first registered as he was working from home & available to collect our own children from school / playgroup if that closed therefore enabling me to take on extra children without having to ask for variations. He has never been involved in the care of minded children though.

MessybutHappy
22-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Mine is registered so that he can be involved when he is home, but I don't include him in planning etc, he's a bonus!!! He's a complete star with the children and him being registered gives confidence to parents, he's done his first aid too, that was important to me, so registering a well made sense!

ajc
22-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Hi, same reason as above, sometimes its useful if I have a dentist/doctors appt, he has first aid and I am confident that he looks after them well.

silvermist
22-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Mine is registered so that he can be involved when he is home, but I don't include him in planning etc, he's a bonus!!! He's a complete star with the children and him being registered gives confidence to parents, he's done his first aid too, that was important to me, so registering a well made sense!

I registered my hubby for the same reasons. He is also able to do school runs if I cant which is a bonus! Plus my los love him to bits :)

hectors house
22-01-2013, 08:59 AM
I am currently registering my 17 year old daughter to be my assistant - initially for emergencies rather than taking on additional children as she is still doing A levels - she is doing a first aid course, I am hoping parents will let me leave her for short periods of time if I have dr appointments and also so I could leave her with a sleeping baby while I take dog out with older children.

I also thought it would be something else on her CV as she doesn't want to go to uni but doesn't have a clue what she does want to do. I'm also hoping she will play with the children during times when she is home from school so I can catch up on paperwork during the day rather than give up my evenings.

I'm not intending to pay her unless I take on extra children to pay her wages - she gets enough in way of driving lessons etc at the moment.

melco
22-01-2013, 02:46 PM
I haven't registered my Husband as an assistant but have been thinking about it. He likes taking time off in the holidays with my own children and he would love to get more involved but how do I get him registered as an assistant, what would I need to do? I am not at the stage where I would leave him alone for a couple of hours but it would be nice to have the option for him to help if needed. Would he need to have first aid?

SammyL
22-01-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm about to register my OH - am I right in thinking they don't need another CRB so reg is pretty quick? x

SandCastles
22-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I've often thought of registering my DH so he can pick up the schoolers who would like to attend the after school clubs but don't as I cannot offer that service ATM.
Does your yearly Ofsted Invoice increase?

ajc
23-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Hi, no my Ofsted didnt increase, they didnt require another CRB and the process was really quick, all by way of application/letter. The only thing maybe that takes time is finding a First Aid course they can go on.

Bluebell
23-01-2013, 08:26 AM
slightly different but my oh was registered so he could be responsible for my own children so I could work within normal ratios and take my children out of the equation.

It was a quick process despite I hadn't had my first Ofsted at that time so it triggered a visit - (but not my inspection!)

I am currently thinking of taking on an assistant and not only does the annual fee not increase but it includes as many CRB checks as is required for taking on as many assistants as I like! I think that is rather good value for the time and effort that ofsted must spend checking the forms and the cost of the checks.

hectors house
23-01-2013, 08:30 AM
slightly different but my oh was registered so he could be responsible for my own children so I could work within normal ratios and take my children out of the equation.

It was a quick process despite I hadn't had my first Ofsted at that time so it triggered a visit - (but not my inspection!)

I am currently thinking of taking on an assistant and not only does the annual fee not increase but it includes as many CRB checks as is required for taking on as many assistants as I like! I think that is rather good value for the time and effort that ofsted must spend checking the forms and the cost of the checks.

Part of reason for registering my daughter is that another daughter is expecting our first grandchild and obviously I can't grant a variation so this way my 17 year old who lives at home can help me so I can have my grandchild to "play"!

jo.jo76
23-01-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm in the process of registering my Mum as my assistant, just for emergencies really and so I can go to school assemblies as I'm not allowed to taktheliones with me. She's always popping in and saying its a shame she can't help me with school runs when little ones are sleeping or weather is bad, so made sense to register her

bunyip
23-01-2013, 10:32 AM
I have a lo who is collected immediately before I need to go out on the pm school run. If the parent is late, I'd be late or have to bundle the lo into the pushchair and have her for an extra hour until we're back from school. AS DW gets back from her "proper job:D" in good time, it seemed a good solution to appoint her as an assistant. It meant she had to do the peadFA course, but it's a useful set of life skills anyways. :thumbsup:

windles
23-01-2013, 10:39 AM
I am in the process of registering my husband and son as assistants they will just be emergency back ups for me if my assistant has to
do training.

ChocolateChip
23-01-2013, 12:23 PM
My oh and I have talked about this, we are going to get him registered, not to increase numbers but as others have said as an extra pair of hands for trips out and the odd school run etc. He works f/t so would only be here the odd day or two in the week when he has a day off but again my lo's love him- I might as well not be here when he is! :rolleyes:

Memina
23-01-2013, 12:56 PM

This is why I did it to and the kids lo e him to bits too

mumof4
23-01-2013, 09:01 PM
My DH is registered as my assistant and as my dds have reached 17 i have registered them too. They have all done their first aid course which means when i do the school run i can leave the lo`s with them. I did it to help out rather than increase numbers but on my last inspection I was recommended to increase so I did. Now I don't have to worry if someone needs an extra day or for a sibling starting as its covered. Days out in the hols are so much easier with an extra pair of hands! Both dds are off to uni this Sept and I will miss the help!

jadavi
23-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Bottom line was the school run without me, then freeing me up for courses, then increasing my ratio :)