PDA

View Full Version : outdoor equipment

leeanne910
21-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Oki as some of u may know i registered dec.

I have some outdoor stuffs but not a lot (from my nursery nurseing days i like to take indoor stuff out eg role play cars paint the table with activity on etc)

I only have a ball sandpit wendy house little tykes slide climbing frame thing. Scooter. Cosy coupe. Sit on ride along.....it feels boring....

Any idea what i cam.get or even do to.create a stimulating garden experience....maybe.i need to.get some logs and wood for children to.play building....hmmmmm

lilac_dragon
21-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Depends on the size of your garden.

I have 3 cosy coupe cars, LT slide and climbing frame, LT slide, tents with and without connecting tunnels, mini tramploine, big trampoline, big climbing frame, Wendy House, Teeter Rocker Helicopter, see saw, swings/slide/glider set,
pop up fairy castle tent, 1 full size and 1 toddler size swingball, den building area, compost wormdigging area, sand pit, ball pool/paddling pool, Pirate bouncy castle thingy, 2 tractors with trailers, 2 wheelbarrows, 2 lawn mowers, 12 foam cubes (each 18inches square) for stacking, building etc., outside kitchen, water wall, easel/chalkboards, graffitti wall, 2 rocking horses, 3 hobby horses, homemade dark den, go-cart, skates, skateboards - and the safety equipment for them- basketball hoop and pop up football nets, I think that's more or less it.

Garden is divided into 2 areas, swings and things for older age group is fenced off from los who might walk in the path of a swinging foot/ball. They're allowed in when the schoolies aren't there.

Not suggesting you have the lot, just that you see what's available - my gardens big but I also rotate all the above just as much as indoor toys, and also take indoor toys out IYSWIM.

newest project is a Living Willow Den and Mini Maze, planting held up by snow!!!

*daisychain*
21-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Our mud kitchen and veg patch is used the most :)

tori4
21-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Depends on the size of your garden.

I have 3 cosy coupe cars, LT slide and climbing frame, LT slide, tents with and without connecting tunnels, mini tramploine, big trampoline, big climbing frame, Wendy House, Teeter Rocker Helicopter, see saw, swings/slide/glider set,
pop up fairy castle tent, 1 full size and 1 toddler size swingball, den building area, compost wormdigging area, sand pit, ball pool/paddling pool, Pirate bouncy castle thingy, 2 tractors with trailers, 2 wheelbarrows, 2 lawn mowers, 12 foam cubes (each 18inches square) for stacking, building etc., outside kitchen, water wall, easel/chalkboards, graffitti wall, 2 rocking horses, 3 hobby horses, homemade dark den, go-cart, skates, skateboards - and the safety equipment for them- basketball hoop and pop up football nets, I think that's more or less it.

Garden is divided into 2 areas, swings and things for older age group is fenced off from los who might walk in the path of a swinging foot/ball. They're allowed in when the schoolies aren't there.

Not suggesting you have the lot, just that you see what's available - my gardens big but I also rotate all the above just as much as indoor toys, and also take indoor toys out IYSWIM.

newest project is a Living Willow Den and Mini Maze, planting held up by snow!!!

Would love to hear how u made the homemade dark den?

chriss
21-01-2013, 05:59 PM
would love to see anyones garden or playroom set-up ..not just to pinch ideas I might add :blush:

lilac_dragon
22-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Would love to hear how u made the homemade dark den?

8xBroomsticks (no sharp ends) lashed together (Guide Leader- into knotting!).
4 corner ones (pointing downwards) lashed so that there's about 12inches sticking down to hammer into the grass for stability.

Make a rectangular box shape from thick black weed suppressant plastic sheeting from the garden centre, taped together with Duck Tape.

The end the chiildren will go through needs to be 2 overlapping pieces they can push through - like curtains? they fall back together when the los have gone through.

Shape is like the covers you drop over garden benches in the winter - tried those but not dark enough.

You can leave the "ground " section open to the grass so it just drops into place over the broomsticks. It can be taken up and stored so the grass doesn't die.

Ta Da!!!!
You have to supply the children though!!

I got my los to squiggle on the inside with luminous pens too.!

tori4
24-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Thank you- may have to pass this one onto DH

lilac_dragon
24-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Thank you- may have to pass this one onto DH

Glad you liked it!
Quite simple to do.

Daisy1956
24-01-2013, 10:10 PM
What a great idea thanks for sharing. Never thought of use weed suppressing fabric but can see that it would work really well.

lilac_dragon
25-01-2013, 09:52 AM
What a great idea thanks for sharing. Never thought of use weed suppressing fabric but can see that it would work really well.

Nice and thick, so it supports the shape well.

Daisy1956
25-01-2013, 06:31 PM
I will need to talk nicely to dear darling husband I already have the weed fabric so I won't be spending much money, so it's saving really. I think that should do it, appeal to his miserly part.:)

SandCastles
25-01-2013, 07:52 PM
I find my wendy house and slides are the most used and stay out all year.
I also have a large trampoline, ride on's, see-saw, a barked area with tree logs (some fixed and some loose) mud kitchen, tuff tray on the floor (as still cannot afford the stand!) water and sand tables, footballs, basket ball hoop.
During the winter the sand,water and tuff tray come in for messy play, the rest stay under a tarpaulin on the barked area
Oh I've also got a pear tree that can easily take 8 children climbing on it's branches, when the leaves came off in the autumn I found my missing pair of binoculars (stuck up on a branch) next time they go missing I will know where to look first!

silvermist
25-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Thought you might like to see my outdoor story telling corner. I leave a box of books outside on dry days. The los love it and the schoolies have written their own stories which I staple to the fence in the summer months. x

Wiggle Wiggle
25-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Wow, Silvermist, thank you for sharing - your outdoor story telling area is fab!!

silvermist
25-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Wow, Silvermist, thank you for sharing - your outdoor story telling area is fab!!

Thanks very much. Im very pleased with it too xxx

Daisy De
25-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Forget the kids Silvermist, I would like to sit in your story telling corner with a cup of tea and a chocy biscuit, very relaxing :D

silvermist
25-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Forget the kids Silvermist, I would like to sit in your story telling corner with a cup of tea and a chocy biscuit, very relaxing :D

Lol, funny you should say that, when my sisters came for the day in the summer we all sat there with our tea and cake in the afternoon. It is a relaxing place to sit and because we live in a small village its quiet too. x

Rick
25-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Yeah thanks for sharing. Once all the snow has gone, this has inspired me to get in the garden and do something similar! :laughing:

RuthJ
25-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Thought you might like to see my outdoor story telling corner. I leave a box of books outside on dry days. The los love it and the schoolies have written their own stories which I staple to the fence in the summer months. x

That is lovely! Thanks for sharing.

balijay
26-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Silvermist I remember seeing your pictures once before - I love it! So glad the children are enjoying it and what a great idea to add the childrens own stories. I would like to do something similar once the weather improves a bit - although I do live near a busy road so I would have to speak up during story time!