PDA

View Full Version : observations

rebecca parker
21-01-2013, 01:56 PM
hi all .....just wondering how many observations do you all do pre week on all your children. I have one full time all the others are part time. Should i do one everytime i have them ....... I do a learning journal which most days has a comment or picture put in too. So unsure what to do :(

LauraS
22-01-2013, 12:07 AM
hi all .....just wondering how many observations do you all do pre week on all your children. I have one full time all the others are part time. Should i do one everytime i have them ....... I do a learning journal which most days has a comment or picture put in too. So unsure what to do :(

My full time.child.has about four to.six per month on average (although none in the last three weeks for.that child, ironically!). I have (had until recently) two children one day per week, one has an entry maybe every other week, and the other who has just left had one at least every week (often multiple entries, because the child spoke English as a second language and had.never been in childcare before and.the rate of psed/cll development and the acquisition of English was astonishing, she wowed me every week - I really miss seeing her)

In short, I do obs as they fall into my lap. I don't set out intending to do them unless.there is an area I'm.concerned about or that I've not.covered etc so the how.often question depends on the child, their rate of.development, etc.

sarah707
22-01-2013, 06:06 PM
My EYFS children are part time and I try to do 1 x inside; 1 x outside; 1 x outing; 1 x home per month.

If they go to another setting I try and include 1 from there too :D

rebecca parker
23-01-2013, 08:40 PM
so am i right in saying i dont need to do one everytime i have them......as i do now and on the sheet given to me by early years also has a next step box!!!!!! so at the moment im doing one everyday for each child plus looking at a next steps everyday too......is this way toooo much as it kills me to keep on top of it. i do however prefer my learning journal as parents prefer to see in a photo and a little sentence what there child is doing and can see developments through it

nightmare paper work. : (

sarah707
24-01-2013, 08:02 AM
so am i right in saying i dont need to do one everytime i have them......as i do now and on the sheet given to me by early years also has a next step box!!!!!! so at the moment im doing one everyday for each child plus looking at a next steps everyday too......is this way toooo much as it kills me to keep on top of it. i do however prefer my learning journal as parents prefer to see in a photo and a little sentence what there child is doing and can see developments through it

nightmare paper work. : (

This makes me so cross on your behalf :(

Paperwork must not be excessive - it must not take you away from the children - it must mean something or it is not worth doing - that's written in the EYFS which is our statutory framework.

You are absolutely not required to do observations every day! Or next steps every day! :panic:

Who is going to read them all? What good are they doing? How do they help you plan for the child's learning and development? What use are pages and pages of written documents which are bogging you down and making you dislike your job?

Have you seen my monthly play plan here?

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/activity-ideas/112861-chinese-new-year-feb-week-1-planning.html

I was using it when I got outstanding last year. Shout if you want any further explanation.

Hugs xx

rebecca parker
24-01-2013, 06:27 PM
sarah for some reason it wont let me follow your link......is it cus this is my first post???? :(

sarah707
25-01-2013, 09:05 AM
sarah for some reason it wont let me follow your link......is it cus this is my first post???? :(

Yes, once you have made 4 qualifying posts on the forum you will be able to open documents ... you are on 3 now so get chatting! :D

rebecca parker
25-01-2013, 09:34 AM
lol.....
how long have you been minding?.ive been doing it 3 years now and it seems just as i get to grips with one thing ie paperwork it changes :(

JoJo73
25-01-2013, 01:39 PM
di I observe and write down significant things that i see from the children whenever, and post on a post it note to record later? or do I only observe once every 6 weeks one thing/activity. I have been told both ways. what i do is to record significant things done by the children and record on a sheet for assessment to collate 6 weeks worth of development. I assess this to see where children need more work in my next steps box and then plan activities for next 6 weeks to help aid development in same areas or other areas not covered or observed last time. which is best?

rebecca parker
25-01-2013, 04:09 PM
lol......sarah how long have you been minding. ? ive been doing it about 3 yrs everytime i seem to think i know what im doing it changes and also a big thank you as your information is really helpful : )

sarah707
26-01-2013, 09:05 AM
di I observe and write down significant things that i see from the children whenever, and post on a post it note to record later? or do I only observe once every 6 weeks one thing/activity. I have been told both ways. what i do is to record significant things done by the children and record on a sheet for assessment to collate 6 weeks worth of development. I assess this to see where children need more work in my next steps box and then plan activities for next 6 weeks to help aid development in same areas or other areas not covered or observed last time. which is best?

It depends what works for you! there are no right or wrong answers.

Why not try one way for a month... then another way for a month and see what feels right? :D

Firefly
30-01-2013, 04:31 PM

I also have part-timers and my Trio Development Worker advised me to do just 1 observation a month.
I was also getting bogged down with trying to keep up with all the paperwork a daily obs generated!

toddlers896
30-01-2013, 06:03 PM
I only do an observation when a child does or says something new. One week it might be something everyday or it might be nothing. I take lots of photos and put these in the journal to show what they are doing while they are with me and any comments from parents etc.
I dont know if ime doing it right but ime happy with what ime doing (until next week :laughing: ) and ime showing that the child is developing.