PDA

View Full Version : Poorly child

jashol
21-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Hi , all had little one dropped off this morning since 830 am has been Sat on the sofa nose running all the time with a cough that sounds like little one a smoker little says that belly sore and poorly messaged mum and dad to ask if she been ill as clearly she was like this before dropped off ! Little one not sleepy or anything with the illness just not normal self or playing would you tell parents to collect or keep hold until end of day ! I've not had no answer from either parent yet ! Messaged 30 min ago

wendywu
21-01-2013, 10:56 AM
No i would not send home for this. :)

FussyElmo
21-01-2013, 10:59 AM
I think unless I had a pick up to do then lo would be being snuggled up on the settee :)

jashol
21-01-2013, 11:05 AM
No not got pick up until after school , I don't mind her staying on the sofa for cuddles :) thank you

kats
21-01-2013, 11:08 AM
I would send home for this, my policy states that if a child is not well enough to join in with every day activities then they should be at home at the end of the day we are not nurses :)

little chickee
21-01-2013, 12:02 PM
If I sent my 2 mindee brothers home everytime they had a runny nose and cough they would never be here!
General colds and coughs are part and parcel of kids.

A mindee has to actually be unwell ( high temperature, sleepy, not able to cope etc) for me to send home.

mazza58
21-01-2013, 12:03 PM
I always find it difficult when a child comes ill, my policy is that I can not look after a sick child as it is not fair on the child or other children in my care. But it depends how poorly they are if the child is ok just to sit and snuggle up on the sofa and you are able to still do the normal things you would be doing today then i would probably keep him, however if it stops me doing things with the other children then I would ask for the child to be picked up. What i do find a nuisance is when a parent does not reply to a text that you have sent, what is it with parents

jashol
21-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Parent just replied but says little one not got cough not been ill only has runny nose clearly little one does have awful cough and does say that belly hurts reply to this was every child got running nose these days and little one ate all breakfast this morning and didn't say she had sore belly !! Child 3 also says that was given medicine this morning ! Child has eaten snack n lunch here but mum doesn't seem to believe what I've said :(

Ambersmum
21-01-2013, 01:39 PM
I agree with Mazza, also trust your own judgement if you know the lo well you can usually tell if they are feeling genuinely yacky. A 3 yr old would not normally sit on the couch for two hours would they?! Id also ask mum face to face at pick up "did they have medicine this morning?" You will soon know truth from her response.

kats
21-01-2013, 02:16 PM
I would never send home for simple coughs and cold i have 3 children of my own and realise that children spend most of the winter months this way but i will always stick to my policies and if the child is not well enough to join in and needs all my attention taking me away from the others then i send them home! :)

crazysally
21-01-2013, 02:18 PM
It's a hard decision because some children cope well when poorly while others become very distressed. I think up to a certain point it does them good to cope so far as they can. However i think if it is impacting on the other children or clearly they are very unwell then they need to go home. I sometimes ask myself would pre school or primary school take this child like this. If the answer is no then home they go.

jillplum
21-01-2013, 06:27 PM
It can be difficult to know what to do. I usually keep the child if they are happy to be here but if they are upset wanting Mum then I would send them home.