PDA

View Full Version : children not attending due to snow re fees

Tazmin68
20-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Hi
I would charge if a child did not turn up because of weather and i am stll open but I am not sure about the following. I have three children term time only one attends half days as parent is a teacher and the others are before and after school. Obviously they are not coming as schools are closed i am debating on if to charge or not as it is not my fault that the schools are closed and i do state that term time is term time so tech they would be at school. none of them are coming at all as parents all work connected to education so they are all off work. It would not be so bad if i was still having them as parents are at work as i would have put fees towards that whole day of childcare but this is no the case. I do feel that as I am still keeping places open I should charge. Would apprecaite any feedback.

blue bear
20-01-2013, 05:05 PM
For my term time only contracts full fee is payable regardless of attendance unless I say I am closed.
I will let them use their hours flexibly, so on a teacher training day school children will come 9-12 instead of their normal three hours before and after school and would be happy to offer this on snow days.
So in short yes I would charge in your situation.

cathtee
20-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Me too, I would charge, I am open all day not my fault I am not having them.

mushpea
20-01-2013, 07:55 PM
I would charge, I would also probably refuse to have them during the day as they are hard work but would say they can drop to me at 3pm as susual which I know mum would do as she would need the break!

chez
20-01-2013, 08:00 PM
If they've booked a session then they pay, you are open and so they've decided not to bring, they could decide to bring still even tho schools are shut dropping them off at yours, however if they've chosen not to do this then their session is theirs.

margaret
20-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Charge as normal youre running a business,parent will get paid.Parent will be aware she has to pay ,its her choice whether she brings them.Enjoy a quiet day ,stop feeling guilty ,parent is paying for space whether used or not.

Tazmin68
20-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Well all mine are now closed. I have four children who will not be attending another who will now be coming all day instead of before and after and another who only attends teacher training and snow days.

izzy23
21-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Now I've been wondering about this, as I want to get my updated extreme weather policy out via email asap given all this snow! Now I have one mindee who comes after school 3.30pm to 5.15 - 5.45 3 days a week. Now tomorrow, school might be closed again and I do not want to mind her all day, for a start I can't as I have other things on, but would be "open"/available from 3.30pm as usual. Can i charge the after school fee if I say I am not available until 3.30pm? Contractually parents pay if I am open for their contracted hours and they choose not to send child. Extra hours outside of contracted hours can be done at my discretion which is what it says in my policies and contracts. But this particular parent may kick off, they are hard work and may say along lines of well why should I pay if you cant mind my child all day and I have to stay off work anyway.
Someone be my second guesser!!! :idea:

dette
21-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Now I've been wondering about this, as I want to get my updated extreme weather policy out via email asap given all this snow! Now I have one mindee who comes after school 3.30pm to 5.15 - 5.45 3 days a week. Now tomorrow, school might be closed again and I do not want to mind her all day, for a start I can't as I have other things on, but would be "open"/available from 3.30pm as usual. Can i charge the after school fee if I say I am not available until 3.30pm? Contractually parents pay if I am open for their contracted hours and they choose not to send child. Extra hours outside of contracted hours can be done at my discretion which is what it says in my policies and contracts. But this particular parent may kick off, they are hard work and may say along lines of well why should I pay if you cant mind my child all day and I have to stay off work anyway.

you only need to be available during contracted hours,you are allowed a life outside and may have doc appt or a nice hot bath that you have to do in the afternoon.your time is your time and their contacted hours need to paid for ,whether they use them or not is upto them

FussyElmo
21-01-2013, 01:34 PM

Ok if I couldnt look after the child all day if I was asked to. I ont think I would expect the parent to make alternative arrangements/have the day off and then drop the child brought to me at . I think personally I would be waiving the afterschool fee. Others may charge though :thumbsup:

izzy23
21-01-2013, 01:36 PM
you only need to be available during contracted hours,you are allowed a life outside and may have doc appt or a nice hot bath that you have to do in the afternoon.your time is your time and their contacted hours need to paid for ,whether they use them or not is upto them

YES!!! I know that I know this :), but I am preparing to email this particular parent and I am certain what the response will be (it probably wont be very level headed or understanding of my business terms) so its making me anxious. :angry:

izzy23
21-01-2013, 01:37 PM
YES!!! I know that I know this :), but I am preparing to email this particular parent and I am certain what the response will be (it probably wont be very level headed or understanding of my business terms) so its making me anxious. :angry: Its a tricky one, because the weather isnt my fault and I dont believe I should lose out on fees.

I dont know why I've quoted myself btw :o

Little Pickles
21-01-2013, 01:41 PM
My fees policy remains the same as always - if I am open and providing the service you pay for booked hours , if I am closed and therefore not able to provide service then no fee.
I try to be as flexible as possible for parents though as it is difficult for them so for example when school has closed due to snow I have had schoolies for their paid hour and half in the morning instead of afternoon when school has been closed , this has enabled parent to walk to work and pick up work to do at home. It also creates a great rapport with parents.:clapping:

Pixiedustkat
21-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Hi, I charge half fee both ways for illness and holidays. I have young children myself and found ill children came gave us the bugs then we had to not work so it works out better. I would charge half myself. As u r ok to work x

izzy23
21-01-2013, 02:46 PM
My fees policy remains the same as always - if I am open and providing the service you pay for booked hours , if I am closed and therefore not able to provide service then no fee.
I try to be as flexible as possible for parents though as it is difficult for them so for example when school has closed due to snow I have had schoolies for their paid hour and half in the morning instead of afternoon when school has been closed , this has enabled parent to walk to work and pick up work to do at home. It also creates a great rapport with parents.:clapping:

I'm not inflexible, I will be able to do full days some days, but it just so plays out that tomorrow I cannot.