PDA

View Full Version : Grandparent staying

AnnR
20-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Hi

My mother in law is wanting to stay for 3 days after her return from holiday due to it being my daughters first birthday. She lives in Scotland and we live in England so it seems silly to leave on wed to return fri evening.

She is not CRB checked and wondered if there was anyway round it. I don't want to get her CRB as that means she would turn up more often to stay during the week.

I currently just run a breakfast and afterschool club.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

blue bear
20-01-2013, 05:02 PM
She can come and visit for a few days without a crb. However she cannot be left in the same room as a mindee on her own. You will need to write a risk assessment, think about things like you answering the door or going to the toilet what will mil do then?

AnnR
20-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks. If I was to get her stay upstairs away from the children and do risk assessment would that cover me for a toilet or door break. :-)

dette
20-01-2013, 05:28 PM
she wont need to stay upstairs (unless you want her to lol) as long as LO,s stay with you and are not left alone wil MIL .You must treat her as you would a stranger in the house.

chriss
20-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Does it need to bve a written risk assessment or would it be ok in your head ?

blue bear
20-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Does it need to bve a written risk assessment or would it be ok in your head ?

Eyfs states risk assessments don't necessarily need to be written but if things do go wrong then your insurance company will ask to see a copy of your written risk assessment, hence I always do written ones where practical.

AnnR
20-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Thank you. Only just got my first mindee so still on my learning in and outs.

crazysally
20-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Maybe the children should stay upstairs and have MIL downstairs. What would be easier? Lol

LauraS
20-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Perhaps you could advise MIL that she cannot come into contact with mindees and must therefore sit in the shed during working hours ;)

scottishlass
20-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Perhaps you could advise MIL that she cannot come into contact with mindees and must therefore sit in the shed during working hours ;)

Haha laughing me head off! Will try that with my mil !

AnnR
21-01-2013, 06:36 AM
Lol I like that. Thinking of banning her to upstairs as I only use downstairs for the kids and closing the safety gate.

wendywu
21-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Mindees can interact with her ( nice for both parties) just not be left on her own with them :thumbsup:

My mindees love my mum and call her Nanny as they hear my two daughters call her this. :)

rickysmiths
21-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Of course she can come downstairs while the mindees are with you. This is one of the joys of children coming to a childminder's home, the interaction with family.

My mindees call my MIL Granny and love her to bits. She comes on outings with us as well and I wouldn't dream of having a CRB done on her! She is never alone with the children so there is no need. All my parents love the fact that she comes here sometimes. If I have to go to the toilet I just shut the playroom/living room door and she waits in the kitchen. She is aware that this is to safeguard her as much as the children. She lives close and visits fairly often.

My Dad lives a distance away and used to come and stay for a week at a time and I never had him CRB checked either. Just after Christmas we had Australian friends staying for 10 days and they have stayed before 8 years ago and it never occurred to me to have them CRB checked. Ofsted only require people who are with you on a much more permanent basis to be checked it is too expensive and takes too long to do for them to do it on everyone, to be honest I have been a cm so long Ofsted have never done a CRB check on me! That is how important they feel it is!

I have never stopped family or friends coming to the house because I Childmind. I know who is coming into my home and I never allow them to be on their own with the children and this is written into my general RAs. The children enjoy meeting new people and seeing old friends.