PDA

View Full Version : Advice re before school care and planning etc.

Natsynoo
20-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Hi all,

I'm a newly registered childminder and have just taken on 2 children (3 yo and 6 yo) who I look after for under 2 hours a day, 3 days a week. I understand I don't need to even be registered unless I'm providing more than 2 hours and don't intend to take on any more children as I have another part time job, but want to be Ofsted registered as I think it looks better.

Anyway my question is - do I need to keep planning and learning journeys for these 2 children? I feel it would be hard to do this as Mum drops them at 7:15am, I give them breakfast, we normally start playing at around 7:40 and then leave the house at 8am for Nursery and School - this leaves us only 20mins of playing (sometimes even less if they take a bit longer at breakfast). How is this enough time to implement planned activities and do observations and LJs? Sorry for so many questions just feel a bit confused and overwhelmed by it all! :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance,
Nat

sarah707
20-01-2013, 03:50 PM
As you say if you care for children for less than 2 hours a day you do not need to be registered.

However, if you want an Ofsted grading then you will need evidence of working with children and meeting their needs / supporting their learning and development.

It really is up to you ... I would suggest you use the child's routines as a starting point then observe, assess and plan if something different happens :D

Natsynoo
22-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Thank you Sarah! Yes I do want to stay registered so would you mind if I pick your brains a little?!! I'll take your advice and use their routines as a starting point, but considering they only play here for around 20-30 mins do you think I need to write down structured planning or is it fair to say that really they need some free choice play at this point? How often should I be doing written observations? And should I set up a daily diary for each child, as well as a Learning Journal? Also, as the eldest is 6 and no longer on the EYFS do I still need to do all of this, as from my understanding once they're onto the NC we don't need to?

What I'm finding hard is getting some solid evidence or observations of ELGs in this short amount of time I see them.

Thanks in advance for all your help,
Natalie

As you say if you care for children for less than 2 hours a day you do not need to be registered.

However, if you want an Ofsted grading then you will need evidence of working with children and meeting their needs / supporting their learning and development.

It really is up to you ... I would suggest you use the child's routines as a starting point then observe, assess and plan if something different happens :D