PDA

View Full Version : Favourites tv progs for 2 y o?

jadavi
20-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Hi I'm trying to move my 2 y o on from night garden to try something else but Wd like it gentle and educational. What do your l o's favour ?

watgem
20-01-2013, 02:16 PM
peppa pig, Ben and Holly's little Kingdom-not sure they are that educational though? we have dvd's, sing and sign, tractor ted, bear hunt(comes with book)

lilac_dragon
20-01-2013, 02:58 PM
My 2 yrs olds love Bubble Guppies and Team Umizoomi, find it's a brilliant way of learning, shapes, colours, repeating patterns etc.:clapping:

mrs robbie williams
20-01-2013, 03:34 PM
2yr old mindee loves barney - its on netflix xx

kellib
20-01-2013, 04:51 PM
My 2 year old mindee loves Octonauts, we spent the morning on the Cbeebies website the other day reading all about the characters and learning facts.

My own 7 year old loves them too so it's handy we have all the toys :D

cathtee
20-01-2013, 05:23 PM
something special seems to go down well and mickey mouse playhouse that can be quite educational too.

jadavi
20-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks, have just recorded a random selection from cbeebies to see what I think.... The squiggles one looked really good. :)

loocyloo
20-01-2013, 09:32 PM
we like something special. we're out of the habit at the moment of watching anything on television, as when i do put it on, it always seems to be rubbish

and currently we are watching never ending wiggles dvds! :laughing:

apart from when the schoolies get involved, then its never ending scooby doo!

Kirsty90
21-01-2013, 09:51 AM
How often do you have the tv on in your setting? I have a lo who is forever asking for it on, I organise lots of activities for the days she's here as she sometimes struggles with any type of free play. Starting to run out of new things to do with her now she's 2 and a half any ideas?

Thanks xx

SandCastles
21-01-2013, 10:23 AM
My 2year old watches TV a little before, during and a little after lunch (about an hour in total) and she asks for Peppa Pig, but I have noticed that if another program is on NickJr then she will watch that, but Peppa is her favourite, I love to hear her laughing at the funny bits.

jackie 7
21-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Ok am I just weird but I hardly ever put the tv on. Apart from the fact they have such s short attention span by the time I put it on they have left the room but the parents use it and I feel that is more than enough screen time. It is now u s guidelines that under 2s should not watch at all. I keep it for emergencies.

kellib
21-01-2013, 10:31 AM
TV isn't on much here, somedays it is on more than others though ill admit.

We usually have it on for 30 minutes in the morning so LO's pick a program each and it sometimes goes on in afternoon if kids need winding down time!

I have one LO who would watch TV all day if it was on so that's why it's not on very much, when my own son comes in from school though he gets to watch TV and all parents are aware of this, it is his home after all.

silvermist
21-01-2013, 10:46 AM
My 2 yr old grand daughter loves something special, rhyme rocket, lingo show, numbertums and zingzillers. All of these are educational. Must admit I do like Something Special :)

bunyip
21-01-2013, 12:32 PM
I find they are utterly mesmerised once the 'idiot lantern' goes on: quite scary the effect it has. I've tended to use it as a distraction if I need to have hot pans on the stove during meal prep; a calm-down for the last 15minutes before home-time; or if they're a bit run down and need a lie down with settee and blanket.

I've tended to prefer videos to TV - mor controllable and we can stop it and say "you can watch the rest another time."

Currently one is absolutely obsessed with Scooby Doo. I think tey've all gone through a stage where they'd watch one film non-stop for weeks if allowed. They've all liked old children's stuff: Bagpuss, Pinky & Perky, Trumpton, Spider, etc.

My grandson loved costume dramas since he was about 3yo: Pride & Prejudice, Lark Rise to Candleford, Scarlett Pimpernell. :D

I've been known to watch Me Too, whilst conducting mental risk assessments on Granny Murray's setting. Her door security is dreadful. :p

loocyloo
21-01-2013, 12:52 PM
I find they are utterly mesmerised once the 'idiot lantern' goes on: quite scary the effect it has. I've tended to use it as a distraction if I need to have hot pans on the stove during meal prep; a calm-down for the last 15minutes before home-time; or if they're a bit run down and need a lie down with settee and blanket.

I've tended to prefer videos to TV - mor controllable and we can stop it and say "you can watch the rest another time."

Currently one is absolutely obsessed with Scooby Doo. I think tey've all gone through a stage where they'd watch one film non-stop for weeks if allowed. They've all liked old children's stuff: Bagpuss, Pinky & Perky, Trumpton, Spider, etc.

My grandson loved costume dramas since he was about 3yo: Pride & Prejudice, Lark Rise to Candleford, Scarlett Pimpernell. :D

I've been known to watch Me Too, whilst conducting mental risk assessments on Granny Murray's setting. Her door security is dreadful. :p

:laughing::laughing::laughing: me too!!!

LauraS
21-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Ok am I just weird but I hardly ever put the tv on. Apart from the fact they have such s short attention span by the time I put it on they have left the room but the parents use it and I feel that is more than enough screen time. It is now u s guidelines that under 2s should not watch at all. I keep it for emergencies.

It's not just you, I'm mean too. We watched the snowman movie on 12.12 and half an hour of mickey mouse clubhouse on 14.11.12 (mindees birthday, her choice). Lol you know its bad when you can recall the dates :s

RuthJ
21-01-2013, 01:10 PM
We don't have a TV license so no TV here! Weird, I know but we're used to it now and it's lovely to be free of it :) We have DVD's and I occassionally put the Octonauts on, or Spot. They only tend to get to watch one episode and I put one on occasionally.

Some suggestions for your 2 year old: Spot, Postman Pat ............erm........sorry, I can't help any more than that!

AliceK
21-01-2013, 01:21 PM
How often do you have the tv on in your setting? I have a lo who is forever asking for it on, I organise lots of activities for the days she's here as she sometimes struggles with any type of free play. Starting to run out of new things to do with her now she's 2 and a half any ideas?

Thanks xx

Never. I'm mean aren't I :laughing:
Seriously though, my TV is in my lounge and mindees are no longer allowed in there. I do have a TV in the kitchen but that's for me to usually have the news channel on. I tell parents, "you don't pay me to sit your child in front of the TV" I once had a new parent tell me they loved the fact that I don't have a TV in the playroom.

xxx

jackie 7
21-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Ok yes I said I keep tv for an emergency and today is one. Got a lo with a cough and big of a runny nose. Waiting for dad. Found my new meg and mog DVD. Keeping him occupied.

JCrakers
21-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Mine sometimes watch tv as I'm preparing lunch (15m) and if they haven't, then my 4yr old needs a sleep still so I'll pop the tv on in the afternoon and they watch 15m until she's fast asleep, then my 3yr old mindee will watch another 15m until its off. :)

So usually around 30m a day

nikkiv
21-01-2013, 03:53 PM
My 2 yrs olds love Bubble Guppies and Team Umizoomi, find it's a brilliant way of learning, shapes, colours, repeating patterns etc.:clapping:

Team umizoomi is loved even by my 4 year old and he got a ruler the other day put in against a book and said that's 10 units long ad hey guess what it was 10 cms long!!! He does get so much from it :)

jadavi
21-01-2013, 04:42 PM
We may have it on after lunch to bring energy down for a nap. Sometimes afterschool for the schoolies to wind down.
One mindee asks for cbeebies and we say we dont know what that is!

silvermist
21-01-2013, 06:28 PM

Ive often wondered if anyone has actually used Granny Murray as a role model. She completely bonkers! Anyway, bye bye my honey pie! :laughing::laughing:

migimoo
21-01-2013, 06:56 PM
DH moans every time he goes into 'recorded programmes' on the tv-always at least 4 episodes of Team Umizoomi on there and as we know if DH's don't have at least 20 hours of free space available the tv will combust!

AliceK
21-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Ive often wondered if anyone has actually used Granny Murray as a role model. She completely bonkers! Anyway, bye bye my honey pie! :laughing::laughing:

My DS has told me before that he thinks I'm like Granny Murray. I honestly have no idea why! He says sometimes I sound like her :laughing:

xx

nikkiv
22-01-2013, 11:42 PM
DH moans every time he goes into 'recorded programmes' on the tv-always at least 4 episodes of Team Umizoomi on there and as we know if DH's don't have at least 20 hours of free space available the tv will combust!

Lol that is my house :))))))